Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #46
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting article Joe.

But the guys that made the video need to work on their production and editing. The host, Frederick Van Johnson, keeps picking his nose. Socially unacceptable.

And who is this Dave guy in the tiny window at the bottom right? He sat there the entire time, shifting from side to side uncomfortably. Once they mentioned him, Trey said something about him being the regular producer and he was choosing the questions or something, and apparently he favors the Panasonic cameras.

Sony NEX vs. Nikon and Canon - This Week in Photo Interview with Trey Ratcliff - YouTube

One thing is sure, that Trey guy has a cool job. Wouldn't it be great to just travel around the globe, taking pictures with all manner of various camera gear, then write articles about it and do interviews?

How do I get a job like that?

07-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #47
Banned

Here is a video of Trey Ratcliff with Sergey Brin who is the co-founder of Google and the richest person ($23 Billion) under 40 on the planet :

Sergey Brin comes on at the 19:30 mark with his NEX-7 and 18-200mm.
07-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have no doubt that there are FF prototypes being field tested - the hard part is if/when they will come to market.

Thanks for the tip OP.
07-07-2013, 06:24 AM   #49
bvg
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Pentax is not listening to folks like me
Of course, Pentax does not listen to traitors. We need wait for FF with doubled energy!

07-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #50
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bvg Quote
We need wait for FF with doubled energy!
I'm givin' her all she's got Captain, she hasn't got any more!

07-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Of course, Pentax does not listen to traitors. We need wait for FF with doubled energy!
Ooh! Thus speaks the man with the SD1. OK, I've got a Leica, and I'd Leicanother, too. I'll add a for you, just because I think you forgot yours.
07-08-2013, 03:08 AM   #52
bvg
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Ooh! Thus speaks the man with the SD1
I aknowledge my faith grows weak a bit. I use SD1M to relieve the tedium of expectation trying to imitate FF pictures. And I keep Pentax equipment.

07-08-2013, 03:18 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Too funny. I know you're joking, but if you're not.

ForbinVisual and I OWN Pentax USA Fan Site

How many fangirls (or fanboys) own a "Pentax domain"?

I think I win.

07-08-2013, 04:50 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Agree 100%.

I suppose somewhere I have a fantasy that someone in Pentaxialand, is secretly reading what I say on the internet, and when they come across my recent musings/postings they sit back and say "Wow!!!!! If Lauren is saying these things, Oh Lauren, sweet Lauren, our BIGGEST fan and customer, then we must be doing something wrong! She's right...we need to listen to her and change our ways!"

Then I wake up.

I don't think they respond to every customer, but some of what gets posted here gets read. Heck, you could email Pentax and ask them to tell Jim Malcolm that Pentax doesn't offer what you want and Nikon does. I'd guess he'd put you on his schedule to speak to you.
07-08-2013, 07:53 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I don't think they respond to every customer, but some of what gets posted here gets read. Heck, you could email Pentax and ask them to tell Jim Malcolm that Pentax doesn't offer what you want and Nikon does. I'd guess he'd put you on his schedule to speak to you.
He's already spoken to me and while he seemed nice, I didn't get the impression he had too much love for traditional Pentax.

As for direct communication with Pentax? When I was a little too honest and direct about what was my opinion on things, as to the focus of Ricoh products, or the showcase of poor photographers on the Pentax Facebook page - they banned me from it.

I'm convinced that Ricoh management was fine with Ricoh cameras and abysmal sales. Additionally, Ricoh can't seem to grasp what makes Pentax cameras, and what it takes to create something awesome, new, AND acceptable.

I don't think Ricoh - in their brain trust - has what it takes to make a Q/K-01/K5 or 645D. I think the Pentax engineers know this and so do the Ricoh folks. We keep getting colors and updates. No new lenses or accessories (flash). It shows we have an engineering/manufacturing disconnect.

A failure to listen to people like me, those that follow the brand closely and intently SHOULD be listened to, as we are telling Pentax/Ricoh they are in trouble if we are looking elsewhere for new gear.

It's not much fun or glamorous to do what NEEDS to be done and build technical improvements. It's hard work, whereas colors or throwing in a bigger sensor or changing a body is easy and shows a certain "easy-route" to innovation.
07-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #56
Veteran Member

If I was a good lens designer, under the latter years of Hoya, I'd find a new job.

Although I'm still sure there's plenty of good folks still at both Hoya and Ricoh, I'd also assume there was a bit of brain drain, too, which means they can't 'concentrate their resources across the board' from day one.

An updated roadmap would be nice but signalling any delay will just further the exodus. It seems VERY odd that the only lenses they've put out since 2009 are an 'affordable' 35mm, an 'affordable' 50mm, rebadged Tamrons, and a $2500 telephoto lens that they decided to put on a shelf to gather dust.

Really, there hasn't been a lens to 'aspire' to own, from my perspective, since about 2008/2009 or so.
07-13-2013, 01:15 AM   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by Harald Quote
So, conclusion is just as I thought it to be: we will not have Pentax FF within an year in shop shelf's. We maybe have some kind of mock-up next big photo fair,what ever it is, and actual release ~next spring, and maybe some of us have been able to buy one ~summer 2014. And that obviously is the best case scenario.... ;-)

Well, I continue counting my coins, and when there is plenty of them, go to local Nikon dealer. I am not coming any younger and waiting for years after years is no option for me anymore, sorry.

Ok, coins counted.... and brand new D800 + AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm 1:4 G ED VR + Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 VC has been bought from local shop. This saturday will add an SB-910 flash and RT-1 tripod collar.

Next step is decide what to do with Pentax gear... some will stay, some will go... or then all must go, hard decisions
07-13-2013, 05:18 AM   #58
Pentaxian

And this we get from a site supporter. Et tu Brute!

;-)
07-13-2013, 05:43 AM   #59

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
And this we get from a site supporter. Et tu Brute!

;-)
Sorry

Pentax is very very good in what it has been doing, making APS-C lenses and bodies. Unfortunately that is not currently enough for me.

APS-C vs. FF in sceneries is not an fair game. 36 gb full frame is so much more better.

Pentax user interface is many ways better than Nikon. IMHO. For example it is annoying having to change grip when looking at the picture you just took. Zoom buttons are in the left side of the back side of the body and you have to use left hand pushing them instead having hands in shooting position all the time, as in the Pentax. Pentax P-mode is way better than Nikon one etc.
07-13-2013, 06:47 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Harald Quote
Ok, coins counted.... and brand new D800 + AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm 1:4 G ED VR + Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 VC has been bought from local shop. This saturday will add an SB-910 flash and RT-1 tripod collar.

Next step is decide what to do with Pentax gear... some will stay, some will go... or then all must go, hard decisions
Congrats! Very nice! I may be with you at the end of the year!