Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2013, 12:44 AM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My plan at present is to avoid trying out any of the Nikon product. I have seen Tuco's results with the D600 and it is mighty tempting to abandon Pentax (except for film) when/if my K10D dies.

Steve
Me too haha...that non Pentax full frame thoughts have so many beautiful pics!

08-08-2013, 04:43 AM   #137
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yes, but need a plan.

Should I save $500 a month, $250 a month, $100 a month, $50 a month or $10 a month?
$ 200 each month

And if you do that for the coming 10 years you will have allways enough savings for lenses, flashes, new body etc.
08-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #138

i will remain with APS-c anyway
08-14-2013, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #139
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd really like 24 MP APS-c whether an FF comes or not.

08-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #140
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Tuco's results with the D600 and it is mighty tempting to abandon Pentax (except for film) when/if my K10D dies.
Steve
I might have made mention before but when I sent my D600 in to have the sensor cleaned, the camera store offered to give me a loner while I wait. One little advantage of buying from a store instead of online. The store took care of mailing it in for me and all. Nikon put in a new senor in that D600, btw.

Anyway, I asked if the loner could be a D800 and they handed me one. Once my D600 came back, I exchanged it for a D800. I just liked the larger area to move your focus point and not having the other crippled features of the D600. What I like the most about the D800 compared to my Pentax DSLR is the darn thing takes a picture now! Even a manual film camera, once your ready, snaps the picture in real time fast compared to so many modern cameras that have a lag between pressing the shutter button to the time it actually takes the picture.
08-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #141
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I might have made mention before but when I sent my D600 in to have the sensor cleaned, the camera store offered to give me a loner while I wait. One little advantage of buying from a store instead of online. The store took care of mailing it in for me and all. Nikon put in a new senor in that D600, btw.

Anyway, I asked if the loner could be a D800 and they handed me one. Once my D600 came back, I exchanged it for a D800. I just liked the larger area to move your focus point and not having the other crippled features of the D600. What I like the most about the D800 compared to my Pentax DSLR is the darn thing takes a picture now! Even a manual film camera, once your ready, snaps the picture in real time fast compared to so many modern cameras that have a lag between pressing the shutter button to the time it actually takes the picture.
As I always say... D800 or nothing.... why mess around?
08-15-2013, 07:22 AM   #142
Banned

A smart move from the store to make you addicted to the D800

08-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #143
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
As I always say... D800 or nothing.... why mess around?
Or, as others might say, get a 80MP Phase One - why mess around?
Once you go MF digital back, you'll never go back.
08-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #144
Veteran Member

Since I'm coming to full frame from an angle different than most, i.e. I do not care about the latest/greatest lenses nor the maximizing of image quality potential, but rather am looking to have a convenient 135 film replacement - with better IQ potential as I don't have to scan film - the choice between a Nikon and a possible Pentax comes down to the age-old used lens market.

While Pentax is more backwards compatible to M42 and K mounts, the sheer volume of Nikon lenses Ai onwards is staggering, and often the pricing is better than an equivalent Pentax when it comes to the more 'interesting' glass. Should a Pentax hen's tooth show up you can be sure it will bear a high cost. A similar Nikkor will have had thousands of users and so is more plentiful. Also, 3rd party glass in Nikon is more plentiful.
08-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #145
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Or, as others might say, get a 80MP Phase One - why mess around?
Simple. Photographic diversity. You are limited on what kind of photographs you can take with a digital back compared to a FF DSLR ( think action, telephoto, handhold and high ISO).
08-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #146
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
the choice between a Nikon and a possible Pentax comes down to the age-old used lens market.
Congrats on the new gear. I hear you on the used lens market. I picked up some small D primes at what I thought was a good price.
08-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #147

Simple. Photographic diversity. You are limited on what kind of photographs you can take with a digital back compared to a FF DSLR ( think action, telephoto, handhold and high ISO).
As someone who has used Medium Format exclusively since the early nineties (Until 2011 when I bought my first DSLR, a Pentax K-5) I fully disagree. 1. Action. I can and have taken action photos with Medium Format film cameras, I don't see why you couldn't with a MF digital. The only difference is you have to get good at timing your shots rather than the spray-and-pray high frame-rate that is so common now. 2. Telephoto. With 80 Megapixels, I dare say your ability to crop much tighter without losing quality completely negates the difference between the longest focal length lens available for MF versus FF. 3. Handhold? are you serious? Damn near every photograph I've ever taken has been handheld. Despite the extra weight, I actually found it easier to handhold my Bronica ETRSi and Pentax 645n than my 35mm cameras because of the big meaty grip on them. 4. High ISO. You got me there, although I haven't personally used ISO higher than 100 for anything important since 1983. In summary, I believe the limitation is on the photographer, not the camera. If you are skilled at using a Medium Format camera, you can take any kind of photo that you can with a 35mm size camera.
08-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #148
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'd really like 24 MP APS-c whether an FF comes or not.
That's what I'm hoping for because I don't want to buy a D7100 for the "reach" and I'd rather sell my AF-S 300/4 for a DA*300. I tried a D7100 a couple of weeks ago and it just felt like junk compared to my K-5 and D800e's.
08-17-2013, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #149
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by NotaxPen Quote
As someone who has used Medium Format exclusively since the early nineties (Until 2011 when I bought my first DSLR, a Pentax K-5) I fully disagree. 1. Action. I can and have taken action photos with Medium Format film cameras, I don't see why you couldn't with a MF digital. The only difference is you have to get good at timing your shots rather than the spray-and-pray high frame-rate that is so common now. 2. Telephoto. With 80 Megapixels, I dare say your ability to crop much tighter without losing quality completely negates the difference between the longest focal length lens available for MF versus FF. 3. Handhold? are you serious? Damn near every photograph I've ever taken has been handheld. Despite the extra weight, I actually found it easier to handhold my Bronica ETRSi and Pentax 645n than my 35mm cameras because of the big meaty grip on them. 4. High ISO. You got me there, although I haven't personally used ISO higher than 100 for anything important since 1983. In summary, I believe the limitation is on the photographer, not the camera. If you are skilled at using a Medium Format camera, you can take any kind of photo that you can with a 35mm size camera.
well ofcourse you can:

08-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #150
Veteran Member

Wow. Well done Ron.