Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
As for a budget model, they should take a trick from Nikon and sell older generations for a few business cycles after a new model. That will temper the used and trade-in market.

At least Pentax won't have to compete against institutional and rental used market dumps.

Again, not the body that's the problem; it's a full-fledged lens array. Look at Fuji. Quick to market with 4-5 bodies in 3 years for their X-mount, but lens development lags. That cannot happen to a Pentax FF DSLR.
Well basicly Pentax does that. They only put a new name on the body. The K-7/5/5 II/5 IIs is allready 4 years in production with differences under the hood that even aren't to big.

07-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I would not say the SR was a complete new design, but a small revision on the design to make it more compact to make it fit inside K-01
I'm not sure the engineering group would call these changes small revisions. They seemed pretty proud of what they had done.
07-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
Maybe a stupid question regarding mirror-less EVF and registry distance: does mirror less mean a new mount as PK lenses would not work without an adapter that places the lens further from the sensor? Besides my K5 I also shoot a Fuji X100s and have come to like using an EVF in both overly bright light and low light situations.
Not necessarily directly. It seems purchasers have decided that a thin camera body is desirable, so K-mount 45.46 mm register distance doesn't lend itself to a thin camera. Since removing the mirrorbox and OVF allows a camera to be thinner consuners have associated mirrorless and an EVF with a thin camera.

There is nothing inherently wrong with a thick mirrorless camera sporting an electronic viewfinder. Threre is nothing inherently wrong with the K-mount register distance. I've said right along that once you mount a lens to it a thin mirrorless camera becomes the same size as a K-01 and a pancake. Certainly not pocketable with a lens mounted.

But a K-01 / DA40XS isn't a cool, shiny, hipster form. And Pentax didn't offer an EVF at all. So consumers hated it, think Pentax is lame and Sony and Fuji are hip and we are where we are..
07-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #79
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Not necessarily directly. It seems purchasers have decided that a thin camera body is desirable
No so sure about thin as the defining criteria. I think absolute volume and somewhere to grip are important as one can see from the many comments about the Olympus OM-D. And many people who get a NEX system with kit lens are surprised by the actual volume of the thing. That OM-D is almost unusable without the grip. And most mirrorless systems have never been pocketable, an arbitrary Holy Grail. Up steps the Ricoh GR and, especially, the Sony RX100.

A smallish DSLR doesn't have to be as small or smaller than mirrorless, it simply has compete. Pentax has some primes to do so and still retain all the advantages that made the SLR format dominant. I argue that the K-30/50/500 format still retains too much of the big SLR styling. It's not a case of one vs. the other, it's a matter of offering both. Many enthusiasts will buy both...one larger for the rough and tumble grunt work with bigger glass requiring a larger grip, and another for lighter travel, street shooting, grab-and-go. The history of this industry was often about getting consumers to own more than one camera.

The K-01 with an EVF option, articulating LCD, and superior video would have done much, much better. A hybrid AF would also have made a lot of difference. A silent motor lens with video AF would have been killer. One could say that is the third model that K-mount could offer. If FF continues to chew up the high-end and high middle (with used sales) you will see the K-50 and K-5 lines merge, so new models will be based on other differentiating factors. And to be honest, lots of pretty colours may play a role here.

07-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #80

A lot of people in this thread are making the case that a Pentax full frame camera might not sell well. In my opinion, it doesn't matter so much if it sells well. Pentax needs their other products to also sell to generate revenue. Are they really attracting many users outside of Japan and the current user base? They don't know how to market their own strengths very well. No one outside of a few are even aware of the quality of the limited glass. They're mostly seen as a rugged camera brand for outdoor photographers. To students and pros they're seen as kind of an enigma.

Meanwhile Sony has made great strides in the last 2 years with their SLT technologies and mirrorless cameras. Now even pros are starting to pay attention as the...wait for it...FULL FRAME A99 and RX-1 hit the market. Not every user is going to buy these expensive cameras, but many are going to buy NEX-6s because they took the time to notice Sony, and their growing collection of Zeiss lenses. Does the K-5 IIs pique the interest of users outside of the Pentax base? Probably not. For my own experience, I only started to pay attention to the K-5, when I started looking at the 645D.

If Pentax makes a great full frame, somebody might go hey, look at all these cool little pancake primes, look at these sensor improvements they make vs Nikon and Sony, look at how the consumer line often has metal bodies and the option to take both lithium ion and AA cells...

No, 5D Mark III owners won't be throwing their kits on ebay in droves, but Pentax users will be happy, and non Pentax users might take the brand a little more seriously.
07-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #81
Site Supporter

It will be a major short sight on Ricoh's part if they don't release an FF soon enough. Once people leave the ship this brand won't even be considered in the future.
07-24-2013, 04:23 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sperdynamite Quote
A lot of people in this thread are making the case that a Pentax full frame camera might not sell well. In my opinion, it doesn't matter so much if it sells well. Pentax needs their other products to also sell to generate revenue. Are they really attracting many users outside of Japan and the current user base? They don't know how to market their own strengths very well. No one outside of a few are even aware of the quality of the limited glass. They're mostly seen as a rugged camera brand for outdoor photographers. To students and pros they're seen as kind of an enigma.

Meanwhile Sony has made great strides in the last 2 years with their SLT technologies and mirrorless cameras. Now even pros are starting to pay attention as the...wait for it...FULL FRAME A99 and RX-1 hit the market. Not every user is going to buy these expensive cameras, but many are going to buy NEX-6s because they took the time to notice Sony, and their growing collection of Zeiss lenses. Does the K-5 IIs pique the interest of users outside of the Pentax base? Probably not. For my own experience, I only started to pay attention to the K-5, when I started looking at the 645D.

If Pentax makes a great full frame, somebody might go hey, look at all these cool little pancake primes, look at these sensor improvements they make vs Nikon and Sony, look at how the consumer line often has metal bodies and the option to take both lithium ion and AA cells...

No, 5D Mark III owners won't be throwing their kits on ebay in droves, but Pentax users will be happy, and non Pentax users might take the brand a little more seriously.
Nikon users with D600's plagued with oil and debris on the sensors may. Nikons' unwillingness to even acknowledge a problem has peeved a lot of Nikon owners. Nearly one year after the D600 started shipping and new units still have this problem. I say "kick em when their down".
07-24-2013, 04:28 AM   #83
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nikon is definitely experiencing QC issues. They have a significantly higher warranty return rate than Canon I have heard. That is one of the reasons why Nikon switched all returns and repairs to a centralized system with no outsourcing. Either trying to fix or hide the problem.

I speak from experience. My first DSLR was a Nikon but a horrible warranty experience turned me elsewhere.

07-24-2013, 04:38 AM   #84
Veteran Member

My first Dslr was a Nikon D300 and should have never sold it. My warranty problems are with Pentax as I have actually had to use the warranty 3 times, on a LTD lens, DA* lens, and the body. My D300 went 35000 actuations with zero problems, every lens was fine. If Nikon didn't have this D600 problem I would have bailed for FF already.
07-24-2013, 06:26 AM   #85

Great, so maybe the investment in the F and FA wasnt a bust!
07-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #86

I personally have had no dust issues with the D600. It's really not as widespread a problem as forum posts would have you believe.
07-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sperdynamite Quote
I personally have had no dust issues with the D600. It's really not as widespread a problem as forum posts would have you believe.
Hmmm, maybe that <$1600 D600 lens plus 24-85 VR refurb deal is a good idea!
08-01-2013, 07:58 AM   #88
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
With camera sales down by 18 % one must think twice:

Camera shipments continue to fall: Digital Photography Review
08-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #89
Pentaxian

The CIPA data wasn't as interesting one month ago