Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
07-07-2013, 02:31 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Yeah, Jim. It's a misnomer and a nuisance, but it's nomenclature that's stuck with the 24x36 format - perhaps we can suggest a change to the name, like digital 35 or 135.
Historically, in 35 mm (135 film) cameras, the terms full-frame and half-frame were used to distinguish the 24 × 36 mm and 18 × 24 mm film formats, according to Frances E. Schultz and Roger Hicks (2003). Rangefinder: Equipment, History, Techniques.

The half-frame 35 mm film format is also known as single-frame in movie film, and as a result, full-frame film cameras were sometimes known as double-frame as per Leslie D. Stroebel and Richard D. Zakia (1996). Focal Encyclopedia of Photography.

Go figure.
We may as well call it APS-F for want of consistency and clarity.
Language is important, though, and we can use it to promote intelligence, or stunt it. The relationship between vocabulary and intelligence is, I think, well-established. I don't believe that creating misleading shorthand terms like FF supports that.

If you have to say "You know what I mean" when you use "FF", then you're creating or supporting an esoteric language subset, a jargon, if you like, but unlike scientific jargon this one pretends to be an absolute when it clearly isn't (something's either full, or it isn't, but it can't be "over-full"). Unscientific jargon is meant to exclude, not include, and that's what this example does, but it also stunts intelligence by pretending to be something it isn't.

07-07-2013, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #17
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
So if 24x36 is "Full Frame", what are the sizes larger than that
? FF+, Super full frame, Super Duper Full Frame, Gigantor Frame?
Really ? I thought you were old enough to understand the difference between a 35MM SLR, MF 6x7 and 4x5 view camera. So exactly what should we call a DSLR with a sensor the same size as a 35mm SLR ?
07-07-2013, 05:55 AM   #18
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
So exactly what should we call a DSLR with a sensor the same size as a 35mm SLR ?
How about "Bob"?
07-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about "Bob"?
I've always favoured "Gladys"...

07-08-2013, 01:53 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Really ? I thought you were old enough to understand the difference between a 35MM SLR, MF 6x7 and 4x5 view camera. So exactly what should we call a DSLR with a sensor the same size as a 35mm SLR ?
How about 35mm DSLR with crop factor 1.0? With APS-C sensor it's a 35mm DSLR with crop factor 1.5 - 1.7, as long as the camera is based on a 35mm lens mount. Describing it like this tell more than only the sensor format. FI Olympus 4/3 DSLR is not a 35mm camera as it use a different lens mount than Olympus 35mm SLR. But it has a 35mm crop factor of 2.0.

As there are full frame digital medium format systems. it can be a bit confusing using "Full Frame" for describing the 36x24mm sensor format.
Edit: Pentax 645D is a 645 DSLR with crop factor 1.3, or 35mm crop factor of 0.78.

Last edited by Fogel70; 07-08-2013 at 02:05 AM.
07-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Okay, this may be a bit off topic, but not entirely:
[rant on] This is just a pet peve. FF? Is that a full 8"x10", or a full 4"x5", or a full 6x7, or a full 120, or a full 110, or a full 220? Just askin'. (or full APS-C) [/rant]

(Oh c'mon, lighten up! )
Full frame is definetly the same as full plate which is 6 1/2 by 8 1/2 inches.

Or you could say that any image that has vignetting is not full frame.
07-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How about "Bob"?
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I've always favoured "Gladys"...
Just don't call it Shirley.

07-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #23
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Ohhhhhh you can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay, or you can call me Ray-Jay, but ya doesn't hassa call me Johnson. ~Raymond Jay Johnson, Jr.

Last edited by Parallax; 07-11-2013 at 11:58 AM.
07-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Ohhhhhh you can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay, or you can call me Ray-Jay, but ya doesn't hassa call me Johnson. ~Raymond Jay Johnson, Jr.

Raymond J. Johnson Jr. - YouTube
Arg! Nothing about that bit was amusing after the second time you heard it, much less the 200th. Why did you have to make me remember it.
07-12-2013, 05:00 AM   #25
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Arg! Nothing about that bit was amusing after the second time you heard it, much less the 200th. Why did you have to make me remember it.
So I wouldn't be the only one that couldn't get the damned thing out of his head.
07-13-2013, 04:32 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Veteran Member

But I remember when MF started to mean the less automatic version of AF ??? and have heard that in our parent's generation 120 film was miniature format, not medium format -- although both meanings can be held by "MF"... When I start to front focus (FF) too much I know I have to MF on FF and miss the term 1/2 frame and use APS-C instead.

With such a conundrum I throw up my arms (and wince as the left still suffers from Speed Graphic elbow (SGE)) and figure I can decompress with MF ME MF film, or even AF AE FF film, or relax with a AF AE APS-C digital. but all the talk about FF and crop reminds me I have to go sit on a toilet....
07-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Those have almost zero bearing on whether Pentax will release FF DSLR.

Camera bodies make such low margins and ROI that in order for Pentax to make FF they need to sell a huge array of new FF glass. Competing against legacy glass is a significant barrier to this and is likely one of the major reasons why the company hesitates to jump into this very high-end market.

Getting consumers to buy new glass will make or break a Pentax FF effort.
Excellent point, but Pentax could leverage a FF camera into the manufacture and sale of updated versions of the classic FA Limiteds (e.g. newer coatings, weather sealed, SDM) as well as several new FA Limiteds of different focal lengths. I think there would be significant interest in a contemporary series of these great lenses.

Rob
07-17-2013, 01:28 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Those have almost zero bearing on whether Pentax will release FF DSLR.

Camera bodies make such low margins and ROI that in order for Pentax to make FF they need to sell a huge array of new FF glass. Competing against legacy glass is a significant barrier to this and is likely one of the major reasons why the company hesitates to jump into this very high-end market.

Getting consumers to buy new glass will make or break a Pentax FF effort.
That's why I think they cannot avoid implementing a new mount for the Pentax FF camera. Maybe that's why it's taking Pentax so long? New mount design?

It would be a shock to the die-hard Pentax fanboy sitting on a giant mountain of "legacy-glass". But those are not making Pentax any profit now, and they wouldn't have made Pentax any profit with a K-mount FF DSLR either.
07-17-2013, 02:58 AM   #29
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
That's why I think they cannot avoid implementing a new mount for the Pentax FF camera
Why can't they produce DFA lenses and continue the tradition of producing the FA Limiteds, which are pricey and continue to sell well? - sounds more like a good business opportunity for Pentax with the current K-mount.
07-17-2013, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
That's why I think they cannot avoid implementing a new mount for the Pentax FF camera. Maybe that's why it's taking Pentax so long? New mount design?
Please, then, explain the voluntary, direct, unequivocal statement, "Pentax is committed to Q, K-mount and 645."

Unless you believe a small camera company with 5% of the market in a good month can maintain 4 mounts.

Following your technical logic, Occam's Razor suggests there will never be a FF Pentax (unless Q is about learning mirrorless and leaf-shutter lenses)..