Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mz-s d

I just now saw this full frame forum. What a great idea! I hope they make it exactly like an MZ-S. I would pre order one today.......

07-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately the sensor available at the time, the Philips FTF3020-C was not commercially viable. Contax used the same sensor in their Contax N Digital and it put them out of business...it had noise issues at ISO 100 and higher. When it was launched it cost about what a 645D costs now.

Contax N Digital Review

I hate to do it but here is the DPReview preview...

Pentax 6mp Digital SLR hands-on: Digital Photography Review

Battery life would have been a big problem. 4 1600mAh batteries only lasted about 100 shots on the Contax.

Last edited by boriscleto; 07-14-2013 at 04:57 PM.
07-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That was more than a decade ago Pentax should start fresh with a brand new body and perhaps the d600's sensor.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think it was going to be called MD-S.

07-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So the O.P. might now have an insight into those of us who have been waiting for over a decade for a FF Pentax. It also gives insight into why it makes us that much more crazy when we are told to wait and be patient.

I think over a decade is a fair amount of time to wait.
07-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I think over a decade is a fair amount of time to wait.
Nikon users had to wait too. Nikon didn't have a FF until 2008. Pentax was under Hoya control by then...
07-15-2013, 01:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Boris, thanks for the original MZ-S D page link. I had no idea. At that time I was shooting everything on my K1000........I added the FA*24mm and FA*85mm with 28-70mm f2.8 and after loving the glass i went MZ-S and then *istD.

Lauren, I know what you mean about the wait , by 2005 I had no choice but to go with another brand.......didnt come back to Pentax until 645D.

I think that the small form factor of the MZ-S, along with those great angled controls would make a great Pentax entry into 24x36mm sensor camera bodies, although Adam probably has good reasons why they should start over with a new design.

07-15-2013, 01:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That was more than a decade ago Pentax should start fresh with a brand new body and perhaps the d600's sensor.
Everbody keeps suggesting the D600's sensor for a possible Pentax FF DSLR... I have to ask, why that one, and not the D800 sensor?
07-15-2013, 02:05 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Everbody keeps suggesting the D600's sensor for a possible Pentax FF DSLR... I have to ask, why that one, and not the D800 sensor?
The 36MP sensor is technically better, yes. But there are a few reasons one might be attracted to the 24MP one anyway;

o) Price / performance (Probably. I don't know the prices.)
o) IQ / pixel
o) Sensitivity to lens IQ.
o) Pictures / memory card space
o) Raw processing HW requirements. Both in camera and while post-processing on computers/tablets.

Not that I think anyone would truly complain if we got the 36MP sensor though, at least if we get >4 FPS.
Actually, to entice users to buy new lenses, higher pixel count might make sens business-wise.
07-15-2013, 04:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by topace Quote
The 36MP sensor is technically better, yes. But there are a few reasons one might be attracted to the 24MP one anyway;

o) IQ / pixel
o) Sensitivity to lens IQ.
o) Pictures / memory card space
o) Raw processing HW requirements. Both in camera and while post-processing on computers/tablets.

Not that I think anyone would truly complain if we got the 36MP sensor though, at least if we get >4 FPS.
Actually, to entice users to buy new lenses, higher pixel count might make sens business-wise.
Good points, but it just feels strange. Here we are: Pentaxians demanding an FF Pentax camera for its main advantage: increase in IQ. And yet we don't aim for the currently highest achievable IQ. Feels like a contradiction.

[Sarcasm]
If Pentax FF only comes by once each decade, then we would be wise to aim as high as possible.
[/Sarcasm]

I don't recognize the arguments about memory card space and computer processing power. Both have never ever been any cheaper. If an enthusiast prosumer can afford a flagship FF DSLR and a lens or two, then they can surely afford a computer hardware upgrade and a bigger SD card or two. (If upgrade is at all neccessary, because such enthusiasts probably already have much more then enough such processing hardware.)
07-15-2013, 04:29 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by topace Quote

The problem with that 24mp sensor is that from a performace/price perspective compete, on a loosing basis, with a 24mp APS sensor. You probably can't tell them apart in large prints. As Pentax do not have a huge customers base, they cannot really cater to every need without risking cannibalization of exactly those products that are already marginal volume vise. A 36mp FF Pentax makes sense though. Whether they can sell one or not is another issue.
07-15-2013, 05:58 AM   #12
Banned

Used Nikon D800 Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) 25480B B&H Photo
07-16-2013, 05:22 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
The problem with that 24mp sensor is that from a performace/price perspective compete, on a loosing basis, with a 24mp APS sensor. You probably can't tell them apart in large prints. As Pentax do not have a huge customers base, they cannot really cater to every need without risking cannibalization of exactly those products that are already marginal volume vise. A 36mp FF Pentax makes sense though. Whether they can sell one or not is another issue.
Because of price, and price alone.

The D600 exists only because of its cost:benefit ratio for the prosumer.
07-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Refurbished. Warranty Return?
07-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Refurbished. Warranty Return?
It's better than buying a used D600 since it says "Refurbished by the Manufacturer (Nikon) to original company's specifications".