Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #1

Pentax does not care about Full Frame

I just bought a Nikon D600. The build quality and feel of this camera is no where near the levels of my K-5. In fact the D600 just feels "cheap" compared to my Pentax. The controls are harder to use (for example the ISO button is on the back at the bottom left, which is much harder to use than on the top near the shutter release, as on the Pentax.). Its not weather sealed and has no in -camera image stabilization. The Nikon "VR" in-lens system is only available on some zoom and telephoto lenses (not on shorter focal lengths or "primes", which is all I use.). I will therefore have to shoot mostly without any form of anti-shake protection.
So why did I buy this Nikon? I bought this because I wanted Full Frame (whether or not I need FF is beside the point). I have waited too long for Pentax to make a FF camera. In fact, I finally had to admit that I don't believe Pentax will be in the FF game anytime soon. It dawned on me that, as Pentax is no doubt fully aware that a certain segment of their customers really want FF, that they just don't care if they lose this segment of their customer base. This is the only logical conclusion which results from the silence of Pentax on FF. The point is Pentax didn't even have to make a FF camera soon, to keep customers like me. All they had to do was unequivocally announce that they were working on it and commit to some reasonable time-table. I would have waited up to a couple of more years if there was a firm commitment from Pentax. None has ever been given, just vague references to FF without anything firm, which only serves to start another round of endless speculation amongst Pentaxians. We deserve better treatment.

08-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The D600 is weather sealed.
08-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The D600 is a great camera, enjoy it. If you want image stabilization, you could go Sony. They are dropping the SLT next year.
08-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FWIW, Pentax has an upgrade path from dslr to medium format for their pros, Nikon has, ummmm, no medium format camera. In fact, Canon doesn't offer medium format to their pros. As an aside, you could have purchased a Canon 6D and their newly released "image stabilized" primes 24mm, 28mm, and 35mm. I do hear you though about the lack of a full frame offering from Pentax. I shoot Fuji as well, and they may never release a full frame as they are just starting to fill out their apsc lens lineup.

08-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Obviously nothing is clear, but Ricoh is working on different project behind the scenes. They just don't want to release any info before it's time. Pretty frustrating for us customers, but they are more likely to have a "big splash," if they keep thing secretive till a big release.

I personally don't really need full frame, but if Pentax/Ricoh make one, then I will consider getting one. The D600 isn't particularly appealing to me anyway, I would have to go with a D800 and that is pretty pricey...
08-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Watson Quote
I just bought a Nikon D600. The build quality and feel of this camera is no where near the levels of my K-5. In fact the D600 just feels "cheap" compared to my Pentax. The controls are harder to use (for example the ISO button is on the back at the bottom left, which is much harder to use than on the top near the shutter release, as on the Pentax.). Its not weather sealed and has no in -camera image stabilization. The Nikon "VR" in-lens system is only available on some zoom and telephoto lenses (not on shorter focal lengths or "primes", which is all I use.). I will therefore have to shoot mostly without any form of anti-shake protection.
So why did I buy this Nikon? I bought this because I wanted Full Frame (whether or not I need FF is beside the point). I have waited too long for Pentax to make a FF camera. In fact, I finally had to admit that I don't believe Pentax will be in the FF game anytime soon. It dawned on me that, as Pentax is no doubt fully aware that a certain segment of their customers really want FF, that they just don't care if they lose this segment of their customer base. This is the only logical conclusion which results from the silence of Pentax on FF. The point is Pentax didn't even have to make a FF camera soon, to keep customers like me. All they had to do was unequivocally announce that they were working on it and commit to some reasonable time-table. I would have waited up to a couple of more years if there was a firm commitment from Pentax. None has ever been given, just vague references to FF without anything firm, which only serves to start another round of endless speculation amongst Pentaxians. We deserve better treatment.
I also have my doubts as to whether or not Pentax will ever release a full-frame, as they would undoubtedly be late to the game. Hopefully, though, they'll still be able to come up with an appealing product!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hope you enjoy the Nikon.

08-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Every brand will have its joys and frustrations, and we all need to find our place in the mix. I hope you've found a good place - I know with some Nikon lenses with VR and some lenses not AF on some bodies I'd soon go mad there.

I hope Pentax will bring cheer to the FF fans soon, but it will only affect me by reducing pressure on aps-c lens prices.
08-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #9

hahaha that's not the..point..
I'm still waitng FF...and collecting F lenses for the FF...
but as you said...not only you,
most of pentaxians are already waiting too much..but we are still pentaxian..
I'm so proud of myself and pentaxian. haha

I hope you come back when the FF's released. Be a pentaxian again~~
08-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So why did I buy this Nikon? I bought this because I wanted Full Frame (whether or not I need FF is beside the point).
Seems like a lot to give up. But I hope it works for you, I know it had some issues early on but after working through that it seems a good camera. Shame you will have to invest in all new glass, but at least with the way Pentax prices have gone up you should be able to move your old kit without too much pain.

In fact, I finally had to admit that I don't believe Pentax will be in the FF game anytime soon.
Probably true. Even the most optimistic of realists are expecting some time in 2014. And who is to say it will be a dslr like is expected? Might be something completely different.

as Pentax is no doubt fully aware that a certain segment of their customers really want FF, that they just don't care if they lose this segment of their customer base.
Also, probably true. The whole Pentax ecosystem (in recent times, leaving aside the glorious memories of another era) is built around APS-C. Moving to a large sensor format is risky, requires R&D and really only caters to a very small portion of their customer base. That portion of their customer base represented here on this forum is very atypical in having a higher percentage of FF advocates but even here it is miniscule.

All they had to do was unequivocally announce that they were working on it and commit to some reasonable time-table.
Well, they have announced (several times) that they are working on it. But announcing a time-table would just be foolish. Set aside that doing so advertises their intentions to the competition (as they may not really care) but what happens if they don't make the deadline? More bad publicity. Under-promise and Over-achieve is the way to win friends and customers.

And just to throw fuel on the fire: why do you want a FF anyway? I am really curious as I have struggled with this myself, going back and forth. I think the goal should be best IQ, dynamic range and low noise performance. If that can be done in a smaller format why is there a need to carry a bigger, heavier camera? Is the D600 that much better than the k-5 in those areas? Keeping in mind that the k-5 is using a sensor that is 3 or even 4 years old at this point. Not trying to start an argument, just genuinely curious about the parameters that forced this decision.
08-08-2013, 02:27 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm thinking of having my own made for me...
08-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I've decided I don't care any more about people who care about a Pentax FF. Don't take it personally - you have to do what you have to do. Thanks for the going away post.

Just about everyone who is going to leave has left. When Pentax releases their camera most of those will come back. All the lenses are still around anyway, and the recent price increases for the better, rarer lenses at KEH and auction sites is either the madness of crowds or indicative of something in the wings.

My Mountain of legacy lenses is . . . . . a Hill.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-08-2013 at 05:04 PM.
08-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm not buying a Pentax FF, but I'm sure they will finally get one togethe by PMA '15, latest. That's 2115.

Many people say you must use a tripod. I don't.
08-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

My thoughts are that if Pentax wants to release an FF camera, it and its lenses will have to be better than the 5D or D800 and their lenses in order to attract the professional.