Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
08-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Some Thoughts about Pentax FF

I have waited, like many others here, a long time for Pentax to release a 24x36 digital body. There are multiple threads discussing the merits of FF and how Pentax should/shouldn't produce one. I dream of the day I can use my FA* 24, 43 and 77 Limiteds as they were intended, along with many other older lenses stored in the closet that call out the Pentax name at night, crying for FF.

Many question the benefits of FF, and if it would be worth it or if it would sink Pentax. Of course, I wish Pentax would have released one a long time ago, so they could be more competitive by retaining that market segment. That being said, the number one reason I look forward to a FF digital camera is the large viewfinder, similar to the size of the VF on my MX. While there are other advantages, this one trumps all for me.

I've used newer cameras, including the K-5ii and I still prefer the K10D for most shooting situations. I'm patiently awaiting the release of a FF and will probably continue to wait without upgrading bodies until a Pentax FF is my upgrade. However, Pentax hasn't been shy about letting its customers know they are committed to the K-mount and the APS-C format. Wondering if this unicorn will ever show up, my opinion might change though, and my final thought is if Pentax is so focused on the DA line, why not make an APS-C DSLR with a game-changing optical VF? I'd purchase it for my body upgrade. In fact, I'd love a K10D with a LX- or MX-sized VF.

Any thoughts on the subject? Would a product like this passify many of those asking for a FF or would people claim it's like another 645D with a cropped 645 sensor only half-way there?

08-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I can't say but if people weren't so brand oriented you could get your FF today! I really don't care about what brand a camera is in as much as what it does.
08-27-2013, 11:28 AM - 2 Likes   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I can't say but if people weren't so brand oriented you could get your FF today! I really don't care about what brand a camera is in as much as what it does.
It's not just the brand. It's the fact that people have a lot of money invested in Pentax lenses. That's why it's not easy to just jump brands.
08-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Takumar55 Quote
It's not just the brand. It's the fact that people have a lot of money invested in Pentax lenses. That's why it's not easy to just jump brands.
Good point. It's not the brand for me either, but the FA Limited lenses.

08-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian

You will find plenty of lenses to love in the other camera brands too.
08-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #6

So are you assuming sell their current lenses for what they paid? I was just referring to the $ investment...
08-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
Pentaxian

So are you assuming sell their current lenses for what they paid? I was just referring to the $ investment...
I'm saying if a person wants FF bad enough, you don't have to wait. Whether buying another camera, selling the exiting one or waiting for your vendor to get around to making a FF is a choice each person needs to make based on their desire and or disposable income.

08-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If one's not sentimental, sell the Pentax (sometimes for more than you bought it for, a few years ago) to buy a used Nik-non. Unless you have to go for the ultimate, bestest, most desired lenses, you probably come out ahead.

Of course, if one's intent on addition rather than replacement, yeah, those FA's will sit on the Pentax APS-C and film cameras while you start to spend dollars on the Nikkors et al.

But then, at the moment, full frame digital isn't necessarily a monetarily sane thing for amateurs anyway.

I'd love to have bought a Pentax equivalent of a D600, but on the other hand, I did want to experience life on the other side of the fence as well. Not to worry, I'm only buying used AF-D lenses and avoiding all those mega-buck whiz bang items. See, in case Pentax does eventually put out a camera I want...

08-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #9

I'm saying if a person wants FF bad enough, you don't have to wait. Whether buying another camera, selling the exiting one or waiting for your vendor to get around to making a FF is a choice each person needs to make based on their desire and or disposable income.
But this is exactly why people are waiting. There is a significant financial cost to moving. If you move and Pentax comes out with the FF, then you've likely cost yourself a lot of money for nothing. People are holding out hope that they won't have to do this. You don't hear a lot of professional photographers waiting for the Pentax FF - they've already gone and bought what they need, but that's required for their job. Not everyone is a pro or is made of money.

And then, of course, some people just like the Pentax lenses and cameras better - not because of brand, because they like them.
08-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
Pentaxian

But this is exactly why people are waiting.
The remaining people who cannot afford it and a few brand loyalists are waiting, I suspect. Having both a FF and APS-C is not uncommon where each is utilized for their strength.
08-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That's part of the reason I still have my K10D. It gets the job done well and meets most of my needs, and I like the way it fits in my hands better than the K-5.

I used a Nikon at my last job and now use a Sony SLT at the office. Many of my friends use Canon 5Ds on shoots and I have used them as well. I like the way the buttons and menus work on a Pentax more than the competition. I move my focus points around a lot when shooting, which is simple on the K10D using the 4-way direction pad. On the newer bodies, such as the K-5ii I had to hold down the OK button each time and then use the directional pad. I was frustrated with this because the default button is set to adjust white balance. I move my focus point much more frequently than adjusting white balance.

Jussi, Nikon has some incredible lenses for that D600.
08-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
That's part of the reason I still have my K10D. It gets the job done well and meets most of my needs, and I like the way it fits in my hands better than the K-5.

I used a Nikon at my last job and now use a Sony SLT at the office. Many of my friends use Canon 5Ds on shoots and I have used them as well. I like the way the buttons and menus work on a Pentax more than the competition. I move my focus points around a lot when shooting, which is simple on the K10D using the 4-way direction pad. On the newer bodies, such as the K-5ii I had to hold down the OK button each time and then use the directional pad. I was frustrated with this because the default button is set to adjust white balance. I move my focus point much more frequently than adjusting white balance.

Jussi, Nikon has some incredible lenses for that D600.
Nikon has some incredible prices for those incredible lenses.
08-27-2013, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

At present I'm running two systems: Nikon for FF and Pentax for APS-C. I have some of those incredible lenses for the D800, and indeed they have phenomenal performance, but I don't love a single one of them. They're just too big and heavy for my taste (and my back). I can carry my K-5 and 7 lenses in my backpack - I struggle with the D800 and three lenses. The Limited primes, on the other hand, are jewels by comparison.
08-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
At present I'm running two systems: Nikon for FF and Pentax for APS-C. I have some of those incredible lenses for the D800, and indeed they have phenomenal performance, but I don't love a single one of them. They're just too big and heavy for my taste (and my back). I can carry my K-5 and 7 lenses in my backpack - I struggle with the D800 and three lenses. The Limited primes, on the other hand, are jewels by comparison.
Like Nester said, you can get some D-lenses. Pretty good bang for your buck. My 85/1.8D is pretty darn sharp, light and is comparatively cheap. And how fast can those LTD lenses focus on your K-5? I assume you have some of those f2.8 zooms? I guess that's the price you have to pay for performance lenses in that brand. But I hear you. Not fun to carry around for pleasure photography but when you need them, they get the job done.
08-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Like Nester said, you can get some D-lenses. Pretty good bang for your buck. My 85/1.8D is pretty darn sharp, light and is comparatively cheap. And how fast can those LTD lenses focus on your K-5? I assume you have some of those f2.8 zooms? I guess that's the price you have to pay for performance lenses in that brand. But I hear you. Not fun to carry around for pleasure photography but when you need them, they get the job done.
I have the D and G versions of the Nikon 85mm f1.8s and they are great lenses. But again, so much bigger than my FA 77mm. The Limited lenses focus quick enough for my purposes - even catching my nippy 3-year old granddaughter in full flight (sometimes). To be honest, I haven't noticed much difference in the focussing speeds of the 85s and the 77, but I haven't done a scientific comparison. I don't think the 85s are the speediest focusers in the Nikon stable. They are all fine lenses. I do have the 14-24 f2.8 and it's a monster! I have to have good reason to take that one out and about. I sold my 80-200 and 17-35 f2,8s because they were just too big and heavy for me. I bought the 70-300 instead, which is smaller than the 80-200 (though by no means small) and gives me a bit of extra reach, albeit with some loss in IQ. My other main lens for the D800 is the 24-120 f4, and despite the relatively small maximum aperture, is no lightweight either. But as you say, there is always a price to pay and as I don't make my living from photography, I don't really need the f2.8 zooms. I have great respect for my Nikon lenses, but I'm sorry, I just can't fall in love with them.