Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2013, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just a wish, and some thoughts on what I hope should be,

Just a few thoughts I had, looking back through some of my old photomapgraphs,

I loved my MZ-5, never missed, wasn't the most advanced, wasn't the fastest, yet never missed a shot... Loved my *istD, was just like a film camera, only every photo was free, beautiful renders, focus, spot on, never was a problem, pics sharp, had a "certain, I don't know what" about them, nothing fancy, just a camera. I wish, for the FF that was promised to us then.

I was looking back though some of my old pics from the *istD tonight, I loved them, who cares they were but 6mp, all sharp, I never even thought of focus issues, I had come to terms that with my *istD I ran with -0-3 to -0-7 exp comp so I just set it at that and forgot, and just enjoyed photography, My K-7, was disappointing, don't get me wrong, nice, but somehow not the upgrade I thought it would be, yes, resolution better, but lacked something, and was hit and miss, I hadn't changed, lenses hadn't changed, but enjoyment was lacking, K-5 was a saving grace, brought back the magic, I love the camera, but even still, I miss something intangible about what I was simply awarded with by the *IstD.

So my wish, a FF *istD, just a photographers tool, simple, elegant, and able to deliver pleasure without compromise, no fancy video, or live view, I don't even care about SR, I don't want, "a completely different FF to any other manufacturer" No gimmicks, no never seen before in a FF offering, all that is unimportant, and will fade away, I just want a camera, bring back new versions of our old favourite lenses, sure, but a true camera, that lets me concentrate and what's important, showing others how I see the world.

No reply's necessary just mussing.

08-31-2013, 07:01 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I pretty much agree especially the love for the *ist-D and K7 and K5. There was something about the K7 that lacked, and the K5 redeemed it.

However, as far as video is concerned, if you are a photographer first, your videos coupled with Pentax lenses make for a magical combination.

I too, was only interested in stills, until I dabbled into video, and I LOVE doing both.
Aesthetically in a day and age of GoPro cameras, a K5/DSLR with technique and a cinema aesthetic yield some awesome results.
08-31-2013, 07:19 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
So my wish, a FF *istD, just a photographers tool, simple, elegant, and able to deliver pleasure without compromise, no fancy video, or live view, I don't even care about SR, I don't want, "a completely different FF to any other manufacturer" No gimmicks, no never seen before in a FF offering, all that is unimportant, and will fade away, I just want a camera, bring back new versions of our old favourite lenses, sure, but a true camera, that lets me concentrate and what's important, showing others how I see the world.
I don't really think there has been any Pentax DSLR that has focused on anything else but this.

Removing video and LV will only make the camera more expensive as it will attract an even smaller niche of users.
08-31-2013, 07:32 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Removing video and LV will only make the camera more expensive as it will attract an even smaller niche of users.
And pentax can't afford to do anything that might further erode its user base, they need to bring more people into the fold as it were.

08-31-2013, 07:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I do agree, Lauren, Video with some of the Pentax glass, is fun, Yes, I too have dabbled with it, yet I just long for a camera that is just content being a camera, not trying to be everything ... Videos to come **** uploading now .. please don't get me wrong, I love my Pentax and will not be leaving, but just hope for almost a 645D kind of experience from a "FF" Pentax.. recent DA re-releases leave me less hopeful for a 36x24 sensor offering, might pick myself up a Da15mm tho, also might update my 12-24 to the new sigma version, I like the reduced geared thro of the focus collar on my 8-16 and see the 12-24 new version is the same, and its a FF lens, so all will be good it the unicorn shows up.
08-31-2013, 07:53 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
And pentax can't afford to do anything that might further erode its user base, they need to bring more people into the fold as it were.
I agree, but I think FF is mostly for keeping existing users, not getting new ones. At least with the first couple of generations FF. But to keep existing users, Pentax need a camera that fulfil the need of the most advanced users.

The biggest advantage Pentax will get out FF, is probably that they will sell more APS-C cameras, as it will make new users view Pentax as a stronger competitor.
08-31-2013, 08:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, I do agree, with both, Pentax needs to attract newcomers whilst serving its current user base.

Videos

09-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd like a fourth metering option between spot and center-weighted... let's say center-priority. Spot is often too specific but CW can be fooled at times. Just a second ring around the spot to give me more space when tracking or otherwise getting caught between light and dark areas. I was shooting family on a bright day as they sat on a covered patio with spot metering, and a small shift in my spot made major differences.
09-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #9
Pentaxian

"fix" the focusing system. whether it's half-frame, full-frame, upside-down frame, whatever, just give me something where i'm not second-guessing massive front focus in low light. ( to be serious, i have no real issues with the k5 focussing 90% of the time, but it'd be nice to get closer to the rival companies in such a critical area. why have brilliant, large aperture primes if you can't bank on the focus wide open?)

I too would be perfectly happy without Vid, but it ain't going to happen. And we know Pentax never forget what it is that makes a camera a real tool for stills photog's, so really it probably doesn't matter. DSlr, 24 meg, ff, upgraded AF, usual Pentax ergo's and possibly Wifi. That'd do me in the next Pentax camera (i haven't upgraded to a k5iiS, i'm going to skip that generation). But i keep thinking how much i love my K10, and it has pretty rubbish AF, horrible ISO above 600 and a slow frame rate. so really, how important are these things? I think as photog's, "feel" in pictures makes us happy but we forget that in the hunt for better tech.

My Q is also a good example. really, it's sensor isn't great at all, but i like what the camera does.

Pentax has "soul". I've always equated it to Italian motorcycles. They have some foibles, but they build "real" motobikes.
09-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by saladin Quote
why have brilliant, large aperture primes if you can't bank on the focus wide open?
I've used a D700 and you get about a 90% or less rate on a wide open aperture focus, good light or low. If you shoot wide open your error rate will increase substantially. That's the trade-off wit shallow DOF. I find Pentax no worse than Nikon right now (K-30 to D7100).

Where i do find Pentax lagging is the predictive, tracking AF. Much worse than Nikon. That said, Canon is no better than Pentax, at least not in the mid-price range I have tried.