Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
They are only removing the A99 because they are dropping SLT technology. They will release a full frame A-mount camera, next year, with on sensor PDAF detection. It's going to be an evolution of the technology that exists in the NEX 6 and newer, mid level to premium, E-mount cameras.
okay, it's the SLT that they are leaving behind. Well never believed in it anyway.

10-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well never believed in it anyway.
Nobody did. Sony was never going to gain market share with the light robbing pellicle mirror. There was a perceived sense of inferiority, and they were charging a premium price for their pro cameras.
10-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #78
Veteran Member

I'm sad they're dropping SLT. More competition for Pentax now.
10-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
If someone can figure out a fast auto adapter to K-mount, you'd have your Pentax full frame. Metabones has one for Canon, but they admit, without Canon's help, they are unable to improve the performance.

10-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Well not much competition left I think.
10-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #81
Veteran Member

speaking as a hobbiest

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It used to be MF for weddings, 8x10 for portraiture. I have to say, from the perspective of an old geezer, there are a lot fewer class acts these days, people doing commercial work with consumer gear. I'm not sure if it's people don't expect what they used to, or people are too busy paying for their iPhones to pay a photographer.

FF is a sort of cross bread. APS-c is better for birding and most wildlife. MF is better for control of DoF. The FF remains as it has always been, a preferred compromise. As far as I can tell, the cheaper fall back of many who should be using MF, if you were to pick your tools by what you really need, instead of by what things cost.
MF doesn't provide anywhere close to what I really 'need', it's about 1,000,000% overkill. Also, it has slower frame rate, is bulkier, and has worse high-ISO performance. The lenses are enormous and can be radically expensive. It's really a specialty format for those folks who's intended uses wouldn't be hampered by those particular limitations.

Even if you subtract the expense, make MFD the same cost as FF, I'd buy FF - it better suits my wants and performs better in my scenarios.

FF (135mm) is overkill to me as well - but to a much smaller degree, and at a much more manageable price and size to deliver what I want, not need.

Last edited by jsherman999; 10-04-2013 at 11:46 AM.
10-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #82
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey J, LTNS. I was thinking more people working in studio for MF, where portability isn't an issue and lighting is controlled. I've tried to use MF for what I do, and it just doesn't work. I can see getting FF if you're an APS-c shooter, "for just that little bit extra". Because, really, who doesn't have occasions when you don't want "just that little bit extra."?