Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
10-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #91
Pentaxian

APS-H is out quite simply because no-one makes it. I'm fairly sure that the only company that ever did was Canon, and they don't make sensors for other companies. Whatsmore, their sensor technology is constantly around two years behind the top performers, therefore an APS-H sensor from them, while providing better DoF control, would not outperform a top-rate APS-C sensor.

10-23-2013, 02:24 PM   #92
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
APS-H is out quite simply because no-one makes it. I'm fairly sure that the only company that ever did was Canon, and they don't make sensors for other companies. Whatsmore, their sensor technology is constantly around two years behind the top performers, therefore an APS-H sensor from them, while providing better DoF control, would not outperform a top-rate APS-C sensor.
O but let's call Sony and ask them if they could make one. They make the sensor for a lot off different camera's (like their A7s, K-3 and Om-D) and in a lot off different sizes (like Full Frame, APS-C and m4/3th) so I gues with the right kind off money they will come with an APS-H sized sensor at 2013 technology!
10-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Kodak made one for the M8. It's not rocket science to make one that size, but the volume might not be there to make it worth it to them. They certainly make every other size of sensor(PS -> FF), and sell them in bulk, maybe it's not too much trouble for them to retool. Wishful thinking, I know.
10-23-2013, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #94
Veteran Member

Pentax will stay with APS-C,645 and maybe 35mm.
It is not out of sight...
APS-H was a Canon thing,cause fullframe was to expensive to this time.
The Ricoh plan is,have all what your neighbor have,only a step better.Look to the K-3
Only nearby,the Pentax without Ricoh K-3 was @ Photokina last year.
But,anybody saw it???
No,not possible.Cause RICOH confiscated it before the show.
The Ricoh changes are to find in AF,WB and metering.
Same the qualitycontrol is Ricoh typically on a high range,samewith Firmware.
The customers should never be tired to have ideas,Pentax and Ricoh are still watching for good recommendations.

Best regards

10-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@kunzite -- you're right -- I'm thinking about volume. And to be sure, given Ricoh Pentax resources, an extremely high-end loss-leader FF might make good business sense, if it attracted folks to the less expensive models. Want Cadillac; buy Chevrolet.

Given that, and assuming you have an unlimited budget, what features would you put on a high-end FF Pentax... to REALLY make it distinct from the competition?

I'll start by asking for a starlight night-vision lens and in-camera software support for its images...
10-23-2013, 09:12 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Since Pentax don't have the balls to take a risk in FF, why not they adopt a pre-order style?
You know? Design a FF body with whatever features and specs they can (just like the K3 is good to start with), and then put it up on the site that it needs to a have a minimum number of orders placed with payment made and then produce the lot and post them out to the respective distros in a region?

And the various distros will be the main ones to liaise with HQ of the total ordered at the end of the month.. Feasible, no?
10-24-2013, 12:03 AM   #97
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
@kunzite -- you're right -- I'm thinking about volume. And to be sure, given Ricoh Pentax resources, an extremely high-end loss-leader FF might make good business sense, if it attracted folks to the less expensive models. Want Cadillac; buy Chevrolet.

Given that, and assuming you have an unlimited budget, what features would you put on a high-end FF Pentax... to REALLY make it distinct from the competition?

I'll start by asking for a starlight night-vision lens and in-camera software support for its images...
I would rather not speculate about unrealistic scenarios, there's a risk of raising unrealistic expectations - and after that, disappointment follows
What I would be asking is a "full frame" version of the K-3, with all the necessary changes - larger viewfinder, AF system properly adapted for the larger format (unlike on the D600)... I guess that's it. Price it lower than the D800.
I'm not sure if it would be distinct enough, but for me it would be just fine.

If I were to go crazy I would include an interchangeable viewfinder system, however I can't really figure out how to solve the problems it brings (with the metering system, for example).

10-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #98
Veteran Member

Honestly, I'd be super-happy if the FF Pentax had the D600's AF system.
10-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
It does the job, but it would have been nice if they'd modified it to stretch a bit more into the right and left thirds of the frame. Maybe a 41-point system. It's still quite excellent.
10-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #100
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I'm not talking about its good points, but the fact that it's an APS-C AF system "glued" into a FF camera.

If Pentax were to use different optics to expand the AF points so they'll occupy the same relative positions as on a K-3, that would be fine for me. If the AF points would be clustered in the center, not so much.
10-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm not talking about its good points, but the fact that it's an APS-C AF system "glued" into a FF camera.

If Pentax were to use different optics to expand the AF points so they'll occupy the same relative positions as on a K-3, that would be fine for me. If the AF points would be clustered in the center, not so much.
I understood your message and agree. I was just saying that (although it's an easy fix), spreading the AF grid wouldn't be my top priority if I was on the Pentax AF team.
10-24-2013, 02:27 PM   #102
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
O but let's call Sony and ask them if they could make one. They make the sensor for a lot off different camera's (like their A7s, K-3 and Om-D) and in a lot off different sizes (like Full Frame, APS-C and m4/3th) so I gues with the right kind off money they will come with an APS-H sized sensor at 2013 technology!
But as soon as you do that it's a special order and would cost as much as FF. APS-C is nether here nor there. Pentax making a FF camera now would be a financial disaster, but an APS-H camera would be even worse.
10-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #103
Pentaxian

But as soon as you do that it's a special order and would cost as much as FF. APS-C is nether here nor there. Pentax making a FF camera now would be a financial disaster, but an APS-H camera would be even worse.
You'd better tell them!
"First, we are discussing development of FF SLR. We are touching base with a sensor manufacturer and proceeding the process of development towards production."
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/201538-dc-watch-interv...velopment.html
10-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #104
Veteran Member

I won't believe Pentax is coming out with a FF camera until the actual press release, and only if it's not on 4/1. If it happens great, especially if they can use their new AA technology. It would be like having a D800 and a D800e.

What I'd be really excited for is a, relatively, cheap medium format K-01 style mirrorless camera. I wonder if they could do it for <$3000. MF for the masses.
10-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #105
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@kenafein -- as one of the masses, and a happy K-01 owner, it would be wonderful to upgrade to a K-02 with a 24-or-36 MP FF sensor that you guys are going on about. Body's big enough for it to fit, right?

OTOH, why not re-package the 645 with a 36 MP 135-format FF sensor? Retail, body only, at $1,995? Possible? Sure would look impressive -- and the ergonomics are PERFECT on that camera...