Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by buttons Quote
I got my K01 for $349 with 40mm XS F2.8 lens and it was hands down the best camera for the money ive ever had. Now my friend is enjoying it, when i borrow it... it feels so clunky and weird but the IQ and ease of use is top notch.

Also, if pentax released a barebones Full frame LX-D for sub $1500 id be all over one.
A mirrorless camera, with the guts of a K-5, that used K-mount lenses at $799 was not a bad price. But that same camera, brand new, under $300 (what I paid for mine with no lens), was an absolute steal.

10-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There have been numerous calls for such a camera on this forum since the day I first joined. Including more than a few (mine included) that suggest dumping the auto-focus and built-in flash in the interest of smaller battery/lower weight. Apparently nobody wants my money

Steve

They don't want my money either! I have been hankering for a manual focus full frame digital camera for a while. I would have preferred an Olympus OM5 Digital (it ain't gonna happen judging by the direction Olympus has taken) but will very happily take a Pentax LX II Digital or a Nikon FM3 Digital for a while now. Pentax hopefully may be quirky enough to try, but frankly I doubt it.
10-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
They called the K-01 "Retro" - but that's only the styling. Old-time film shooters like me to whom real Retro digital would be appealing wouldn't consider a camera that had no eye-level finder. If the K-01 had a built-in EFV instead of the rear LCD it would appeal to a different group, like us older Boomers. And if it had been 24x36 sensor with a good-for-manual-focus EFV I'd have bought it immediately. Sure, I'd prefer an SLR finder like the old MX, but I'll make do with an EFV if that's all that's available.
It will be interesting to see if the rumored Nikon Retro comes about, and what it is like. Once again, Ricoh could have had it first, if they believed the posts in this forum.
But I'll try out the A7 and see how the idea works.
Definitely an SLR, preferably with a split screen or micro prism manual focusing, with an interchangeable focusing screen. NO EVF please. I have no interest in a mirror less camera but do want a manual focus digital SLR.
10-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Why hasn't Ricoh announced a LX-D LTD (at least) and matching set of new HD FA Limited lenses.
They are working on a new retro Q version. Going to be HOT!!! Going to come in retro colors like Harvest Gold and Avocado Green. Instead of Silver they will have a gold sequin "Staying Alive" edition.

10-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
They are working on a new retro Q version. Going to be HOT!!! Going to come in retro colors like Harvest Gold and Avocado Green. Instead of Silver they will have a gold sequin "Staying Alive" edition.
Might as well go whole hog and bring out a digital Instamatic, complete with fixed focus plastic lens and maybe a key chain attachment. That would be 110 full frame, of course.
10-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The market for an old school manual focus FF (135) digital must be really small. OK a few Pentaxians want one and have the funds to buy one, but not enough to fund the R&D for one (especially as there's no current 135 product line). It would probably cost more to strip the AF out of the existing hardware - although an LX-esque body would probably be cheaper to produce than the current magnesium alloy one. Developing a 135 format pro DSLR would be more sensible, it would have a much bigger target market and much greater brand driving power.

No matter how well Ricoh did an LX-D, some of us would love it, others would complain about the slightest niggle or deviation from the original - instead we should break out the originals and enjoy them as intended, with film or push ahead with more of the innovation Ricoh are demonstrating.

John.
10-24-2013, 03:10 AM   #37
Veteran Member

as far as support for the FF K-mount camera goes, I'll vote for a digital LX - because it's a completely different system. interchangeable viewfinders, backs, focus screens, maybe even different grip options (e.g. a tether/wifi grip, a dual-battery grip, an extra-memory-buffer or something like that grip, etc). all surrounding the K-mount. It would be awesomely customizable.

Would mean huge development costs for Pentax though...

10-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Uh... have you guys seen the new rumor? PF is lagging.

This sounds rather plausible, given the combination of Ricoh & Pentax
technologies:
Ricoh's new FF retro Pentax LX rumor: Ricoh Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

The Pentax side's discussion of the same rumor:
Ricoh/Pentax Rumour: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I'm inclined to think this one is likely to be fairly accurate. This sounds like the same sensor in the Sony A7 (but with SR and all the stuff Sony "forgot")?
Ricoh/Pentax may have beat Sony upside the head to get this sensor in a camera sooner by playing the Toshiba 24MB sensor against Sony's for the K-3.
10-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #39
Pentaxian

The source for that "rumor" was this very forum, more precisely a thread (IIRC) started by Mistral75 - following something posted on a french forum.
And now it's back. Rumors are like boomerangs... they always return where they come from.

By the way, I still don't believe it, and I dislike the idea - way too complicate and for me absolutely unnecessary.
10-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote

technologies:
Ricoh's new FF retro Pentax LX rumor: Ricoh Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I'm inclined to think this one is likely to be fairly accurate. This sounds like the same sensor in the Sony A7 (but with SR and all the stuff Sony "forgot")?
Ricoh/Pentax may have beat Sony upside the head to get this sensor in a camera sooner by playing the Toshiba 24MB sensor against Sony's for the K-3.
Well who knows if it's even remotely true or whether more than a handful of folks would be able to afford it anyway. But if it is true, it'll be a sign that another camera-maker is lining up for a short-registration post-DSLR future. The K Mount Saloon is starting to feel a little rickety these days. Is that the sound of sawing from under the floorboards?
10-24-2013, 09:31 AM   #41
Veteran Member

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/10/24/more-on-nikons-pure-photography-campaign.aspx/#more-65924

this nikon camera is real.

It will be interesting to see how it will be priced. Below D610 (but then no video and 16MP)? Above D610 (then how to compete with A7)?

My guess is about the same as A7R, ~$2300.

But if the sensor is cheap (rumored to based on D4 sensor), and Nikon price it at $1500, this will shake the market. Just too bad can't mount PENTAX glass on this thing.

I feel so bad for PENTAX/RICOH... the excitement of K-3 in the news was rather quickly overwhelm by A7/A7R, and then this Nikon.

Last edited by LFLee; 10-24-2013 at 09:39 AM.
10-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote

technologies:

That's hilarious. The Rumor was started on Pentax Forums..... By the end of the year it will have morphed into a new Pentax 67IID rumor with a 16GP sensor from Canon.
10-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #43
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
More on the Nikon video teaser | Nikon Rumors

Nikon - Pure Photography #1 - YouTube

It will be interesting to see how it will be priced. Below D610 (but then no video and 16MP)? Above D610 (then how to compete with A7)?

My guess is about the same as A7R, ~$2300.

But if the sensor is cheap (rumored to based on D4 sensor), and Nikon price it at $1500, this will shake the market. Just too bad can't mount PENTAX glass on this thing.

I feel so bad for PENTAX/RICOH... the excitement of K-3 in the news was rather quickly overwhelm by A7/A7R, and then this Nikon.
My guess is that this is the luxury camera. So why not priced between D800 and D4 in.
10-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I'm not sure if I like the styling of that Pure Photography camera, or not. It reminds me of that monolith in the film 2001: A Space Odyssey.
10-29-2013, 01:36 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The problem that Pentax has with FF is that Pentax itself has a bit of an identity crisis. A FF version of the K-3 would be OK but might struggle to compete with the Canon and Nikon FF DSLRs. I think Pentax realises this and hence why they've said on several occasions that were they to do a FF camera they would do it differently.

The problem now is that Sony has just done FF "differently". A retro LX-D would need to be K mount to take advantage of existing lenses or they go mirror-less with yet another new mount and run straight into Sony.