Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #91
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
QuoteOriginally posted by buttons Quote
I think the DF looks great
It looks fantastic.

I'd still rather have an 'ergo' body but if the DF was a Pentax the only question would be how many I'd order.

11-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,152
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I just read a post on DPR where the poster stated the Aperture value is not reported in the VF for the older Nikkor lenses.. ridiculous, but they probably want to encourage G lens purchases after the initial glow of the purchase has wore off I suppose.
I used cameras for a lot of years before any of them showed the aperture in the vf, and still use some of them. This is a complete non-issue to me, as I habitually glance at the top of a camera (aperture ring and shutter speed dial) before raising the camera. Then you just change by feel (clicks) as needed.
11-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #93
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,469
Except you can't use an aperture ring with the Df.
11-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,152
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Except you can't use an aperture ring with the Df.
Sure you can -as long as you use lenses that have them. It works with all the old AI 1970s and newer lenses and couples the aperture mechanically. Older, non-AI Nikon lenses will also work and meter stopped-down. It is more compatible with old Nikon lenses than any digital Pentax is with old Pentax lenses (so far). Both the old Pentax and Nikon lenses are good enough for me.

11-05-2013, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #95
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Manila
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,198
Looking at the DF now, I wonder how more FM2 it could be without the back LCD.

If Pentax is taking "Pure Photography" to the next level... I wonder what would happen if they did the retro LX design and remove the LCD, and some buttons associated with it. Would it make the camera thinner and complete the look? Functionality is a bit axed though. But then again, thinking about it, many photographers before me learned how to take pictures without chimping after every shot, even for their "first 10,000 ones".
11-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #96
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
No LCD is a no-go in the marketplace. Niche of a niche for Pentax.
11-06-2013, 01:16 AM   #97
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,469
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
Sure you can -as long as you use lenses that have them. It works with all the old AI 1970s and newer lenses and couples the aperture mechanically. Older, non-AI Nikon lenses will also work and meter stopped-down. It is more compatible with old Nikon lenses than any digital Pentax is with old Pentax lenses (so far). Both the old Pentax and Nikon lenses are good enough for me.
Well, according with DPReview you can't do it with CPU lenses, but only with non-CPU ones.
And using pre-AI lenses is more cumbersome than using K/M lenses with Pentax DSLRs.
11-06-2013, 01:34 AM   #98
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,122
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Looking at the DF now, I wonder how more FM2 it could be without the back LCD.

If Pentax is taking "Pure Photography" to the next level... I wonder what would happen if they did the retro LX design and remove the LCD, and some buttons associated with it. Would it make the camera thinner and complete the look? Functionality is a bit axed though. But then again, thinking about it, many photographers before me learned how to take pictures without chimping after every shot, even for their "first 10,000 ones".
Or, chimping through the VF. Think of a Sony A7r but then with no back LCD screen. Never needing to take your eye from the viewfinder. Wifi would make it possible to review the files on much bigger and higher resolution screens of a tablet, or smartphone anyway. It would shave some extra space off the camera, or would make some extra room for more usefull stuff.

11-06-2013, 04:08 AM   #99
Veteran Member
Caat's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Photos: Albums
Posts: 897
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Or, chimping through the VF. Think of a Sony A7r but then with no back LCD screen. Never needing to take your eye from the viewfinder. Wifi would make it possible to review the files on much bigger and higher resolution screens of a tablet, or smartphone anyway. It would shave some extra space off the camera, or would make some extra room for more usefull stuff.
It would still be a very difficult sell
11-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #100
Veteran Member
Parry's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 541
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
It looks fantastic.

I'd still rather have an 'ergo' body but if the DF was a Pentax the only question would be how many I'd order.
A friend who was a Vietnam war photographer and now semi-retired pro just emailed me from Hong Kong. He mentioned he'd just handled a Nikon DF and was utterly scathing of the thing. Said it was a "kick in the bum to the classic Nikon FM" and was woefully overpriced for what it really is.

He was not impressed.
11-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #101
Senior Member
TomE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 299
11-07-2013, 07:39 AM   #102
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,244
QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
A friend who was a Vietnam war photographer and now semi-retired pro just emailed me from Hong Kong. He mentioned he'd just handled a Nikon DF and was utterly scathing of the thing. Said it was a "kick in the bum to the classic Nikon FM" and was woefully overpriced for what it really is.

He was not impressed.
I find that to be totally believable.
11-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
disco_owner's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sydney
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,611
Are you taking orders ? No seriusly that looks spot on cept the film winder
11-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #104
Senior Member
raphtze's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 136
kinda glad nikon is leading the charge marrying retro style with modern innards. i'm sure the new Df won't please everyone. and i'm sure if we ever get a FF pentax, there will be those who aren't satisfied. one thing for sure, the Df is giving nikon a lot of exposure. i'm sure an LX styled DSLR would sell like hotcakes. methinks however, when and if the pentax FF is released...it'll be a real modern classic, not unlike the K-7/5/3 cameras.
11-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #105
Senior Member
TomE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 299
Forgot about the winder in my excitement over a LX-D!

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, ff, frame, full-frame, lx-d, nikon, pentax, rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macro Where's the entrance? eaglem Post Your Photos! 11 02-02-2013 01:37 AM
Macro Where's the Iron.... eaglem Post Your Photos! 4 11-28-2012 04:28 AM
Machinery Where's the track Bob63 Post Your Photos! 7 12-20-2011 12:12 PM
Where's the Ricoh pin? heatherslightbox Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 03-12-2008 05:23 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:01 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top