Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #91
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by buttons Quote
I think the DF looks great
It looks fantastic.

I'd still rather have an 'ergo' body but if the DF was a Pentax the only question would be how many I'd order.

11-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #92
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I just read a post on DPR where the poster stated the Aperture value is not reported in the VF for the older Nikkor lenses.. ridiculous, but they probably want to encourage G lens purchases after the initial glow of the purchase has wore off I suppose.
I used cameras for a lot of years before any of them showed the aperture in the vf, and still use some of them. This is a complete non-issue to me, as I habitually glance at the top of a camera (aperture ring and shutter speed dial) before raising the camera. Then you just change by feel (clicks) as needed.
11-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #93
Pentaxian

Except you can't use an aperture ring with the Df.
11-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #94
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Except you can't use an aperture ring with the Df.
Sure you can -as long as you use lenses that have them. It works with all the old AI 1970s and newer lenses and couples the aperture mechanically. Older, non-AI Nikon lenses will also work and meter stopped-down. It is more compatible with old Nikon lenses than any digital Pentax is with old Pentax lenses (so far). Both the old Pentax and Nikon lenses are good enough for me.

11-05-2013, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #95
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking at the DF now, I wonder how more FM2 it could be without the back LCD.

If Pentax is taking "Pure Photography" to the next level... I wonder what would happen if they did the retro LX design and remove the LCD, and some buttons associated with it. Would it make the camera thinner and complete the look? Functionality is a bit axed though. But then again, thinking about it, many photographers before me learned how to take pictures without chimping after every shot, even for their "first 10,000 ones".
11-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #96
Veteran Member

No LCD is a no-go in the marketplace. Niche of a niche for Pentax.
11-06-2013, 01:16 AM   #97
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
Sure you can -as long as you use lenses that have them. It works with all the old AI 1970s and newer lenses and couples the aperture mechanically. Older, non-AI Nikon lenses will also work and meter stopped-down. It is more compatible with old Nikon lenses than any digital Pentax is with old Pentax lenses (so far). Both the old Pentax and Nikon lenses are good enough for me.
Well, according with DPReview you can't do it with CPU lenses, but only with non-CPU ones.
And using pre-AI lenses is more cumbersome than using K/M lenses with Pentax DSLRs.

11-06-2013, 01:34 AM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Looking at the DF now, I wonder how more FM2 it could be without the back LCD.

If Pentax is taking "Pure Photography" to the next level... I wonder what would happen if they did the retro LX design and remove the LCD, and some buttons associated with it. Would it make the camera thinner and complete the look? Functionality is a bit axed though. But then again, thinking about it, many photographers before me learned how to take pictures without chimping after every shot, even for their "first 10,000 ones".
Or, chimping through the VF. Think of a Sony A7r but then with no back LCD screen. Never needing to take your eye from the viewfinder. Wifi would make it possible to review the files on much bigger and higher resolution screens of a tablet, or smartphone anyway. It would shave some extra space off the camera, or would make some extra room for more usefull stuff.
11-06-2013, 04:08 AM   #99
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Or, chimping through the VF. Think of a Sony A7r but then with no back LCD screen. Never needing to take your eye from the viewfinder. Wifi would make it possible to review the files on much bigger and higher resolution screens of a tablet, or smartphone anyway. It would shave some extra space off the camera, or would make some extra room for more usefull stuff.
It would still be a very difficult sell
11-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
It looks fantastic.

I'd still rather have an 'ergo' body but if the DF was a Pentax the only question would be how many I'd order.
A friend who was a Vietnam war photographer and now semi-retired pro just emailed me from Hong Kong. He mentioned he'd just handled a Nikon DF and was utterly scathing of the thing. Said it was a "kick in the bum to the classic Nikon FM" and was woefully overpriced for what it really is.

He was not impressed.
11-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #101

11-07-2013, 07:39 AM   #102
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
A friend who was a Vietnam war photographer and now semi-retired pro just emailed me from Hong Kong. He mentioned he'd just handled a Nikon DF and was utterly scathing of the thing. Said it was a "kick in the bum to the classic Nikon FM" and was woefully overpriced for what it really is.

He was not impressed.
I find that to be totally believable.
11-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #103
Veteran Member

Are you taking orders ? No seriusly that looks spot on cept the film winder
11-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #104

kinda glad nikon is leading the charge marrying retro style with modern innards. i'm sure the new Df won't please everyone. and i'm sure if we ever get a FF pentax, there will be those who aren't satisfied. one thing for sure, the Df is giving nikon a lot of exposure. i'm sure an LX styled DSLR would sell like hotcakes. methinks however, when and if the pentax FF is released...it'll be a real modern classic, not unlike the K-7/5/3 cameras.
11-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #105

Forgot about the winder in my excitement over a LX-D!