Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2013, 06:58 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
The Nikon also looks pretty big, but some people like that. Olympus and Pentax have got the proportions pretty much right for this style of edged design, by way of contrast.
Here's another image of the Nikon DF.

From the looks of it, the size is comparable to Pentax K7-3...
Imagine that, the size of Pentax's but with a full frame sensor and huge view finder...

Last edited by richard balonglong; 11-01-2013 at 07:17 AM.
11-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
^ I think it's hard to tell how large it is from those photos without knowing how big that man is....

Granted it doesn't look enormous, and it looks quite squared off.
11-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A short while back Nikon was granted a patent for a removable digital back for a film camera. Now they call this a "hybrid" camera. Makes me wonder... Both film and digital?
11-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #64

35mm film production is gonna go the way of the dinosaur. really not relevant anymore. besides there is so many used 35mm film cams on the market, there really is no motivation for it. don't get me wrong....i would love such a hybrid beast!

11-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by raphtze Quote
35mm film production is gonna go the way of the dinosaur. really not relevant anymore. besides there is so many used 35mm film cams on the market, there really is no motivation for it. don't get me wrong....i would love such a hybrid beast!
Well, crocodiles are still around, so dinosaurs have never really gone away. Film will be like that, even when the current hipster fad for Lomography has passed, because some people just like analogue – look at the long-lasting resurgence in vinyl recordings. A film/digital hybrid would be a very small niche, but probably viable at the right price, which would probably be high, but not so esoteric as to exclude many enthusiasts. I don't think this new Nikon is one, though. I have to say it looks better in profile than the shaded full-frontals portrayed.
11-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Film will be like that, even when the current hipster fad for Lomography has passed, because some people just like analogue – look at the long-lasting resurgence in vinyl recordings.
Note that he said 35mm film processing, not 'film'.

35mm Film is quite 'obsolete' in my view. Film is not.

I agree that 35mm processing will still be available for decades, though.
11-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote

... whereas Pentax has the nicely styled lenses but not the retro camera!
Why yes they do, IMHO. The Pentax 645D is about as retro as this Nikon DF. The 645D looks very much like a modernized digital version of the film camera to me. And the majority of the lenses for it are legacy glass too.

11-02-2013, 11:51 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Note that he said 35mm film processing, not 'film'.

35mm Film is quite 'obsolete' in my view. Film is not.

I agree that 35mm processing will still be available for decades, though.
I looked again, and it says "production", not "processing", which I take to mean manufacture of the film, rather than developing the image. It would be interesting see how much B&W and colour film of the remaining formats is produced now, and what the trends are like.
11-03-2013, 04:54 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by richard balonglong Quote
From the looks of it, the size is comparable to Pentax K7-3...
Imagine that, the size of Pentax's but with a full frame sensor and huge view finder...
This Nikon DF's prism hump actually reminds me of my K-5 IIs when looking at it from the side
11-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #70
Veteran Member

I looked again, and it says "production", not "processing", which I take to mean manufacture of the film, rather than developing the image. It would be interesting see how much B&W and colour film of the remaining formats is produced now, and what the trends are like.
Whoops. My mistake. Note that I was trying to emphasize the '35mm' part, not the production vs. processing.

At B+H right now there's 4 films available in 110.
There's 64 types of 35mm/36 exposure (and 18 more in 24 exposure, but I'm assuming most are doubles of 36)
There's 63 types of 120 film.

What was the breakdown 20 years ago? I'd guess 110 had as many varieties as 120.

It's clear that digital is taking away the 'smaller film' market year by year. Will 35mm be available in 2030? I'd bet on it. Heck, there's 110 film available now.

But I'd never use a 110 camera for anything but the novelty.
11-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
They don't want my money, either. I recently acquired a ZX-5N from the forum. I love using it, so far. It is small and light, and the autofocus seems to work quite well. The exposure compensation dial is great. In short, the ergonomic experience of using it is great - MUCH more enjoyable than my K20D and K-x. I've only used it with my Tamron 28-75 so far. I can't even imagine how nice it would be to use with an autofocus prime (because I don't own any autofocus primes).

Sony has proven that full frame digital cameras don't have to be large. There are no more excuses.
totally agree.
I started Pentax from the K7 era, and now I own 3 film bodies and k5; The first time of using ZX7/5N it really shocked me---the focus is fast and accurate. and once you get used to the ff vf, an apsc is definitely not enough.
I almost bought the canon 6D couple days ago when there was a nice deal. On Canon's refurbished market it was $1280---even cheaper than K3. I don't think they aim the same market, but dude, almost the same price. But finally, the brand loyalty stopped me.
11-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Whoops. My mistake. Note that I was trying to emphasize the '35mm' part, not the production vs. processing.

At B+H right now there's 4 films available in 110.
There's 64 types of 35mm/36 exposure (and 18 more in 24 exposure, but I'm assuming most are doubles of 36)
There's 63 types of 120 film.

What was the breakdown 20 years ago? I'd guess 110 had as many varieties as 120.

It's clear that digital is taking away the 'smaller film' market year by year. Will 35mm be available in 2030? I'd bet on it. Heck, there's 110 film available now.

But I'd never use a 110 camera for anything but the novelty.
I understand what you're saying - logically, the larger formats should be the ones to survive, given their inherent advantages in some situations. The benchmark 20MP from Kodachrome equivalence that I recall seeing quoted some time ago for smaller formats has been equalled and surpassed by now, so the higher resolution of the larger format film should, on that basis survive for a while longer (I know that Luminous Landscape says otherwise, based on their comparisons of 6x7 film versus a Canon FF body). However, 35mm film is just so accessible that a logic based on convenience may carry it on for as long as the larger formats.
11-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Nikon DF is Out!

While we are here wishful-thinking for a Pentax LX-D, the Nikon DF "Digital Fusion" is out!
This is a wonderful camera.. This isn't just a retro look, but a classic made into digital...

11-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #74

my goodness. that is one very awesome looking cam. i think i must have it.
11-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #75
Veteran Member

And people say that the K-01 is ugly... sheesh