Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
11-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #76
Veteran Member

The location of the PASM switch is a bit unconventional. And no X mode?

11-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #77
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The location of the PASM switch is a bit unconventional. And no X mode?
X-mode is on the shutter speed dial.
11-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by richard balonglong Quote
While we are here wishful-thinking for a Pentax LX-D, the Nikon DF "Digital Fusion" is out!
This is a wonderful camera.. This isn't just a retro look, but a classic made into digital...
Well, it certainly carries a lot of the Nikon styling cues from the 1970s. The viewfinder, however, is not interchangeable, so the reference to the F series only goes so far. Those styling cues will no doubt push a lot of buttons for those who've had or admired the old Nikon film cameras. I was never in either camp, styling-wise, because I preferred the Pentax and Olympus greyhounds to the Nikon and Canon bulldogs, but of course their products, viewed as cameras were admirable.

We have yet to see what the term "hybrid" stands for.
11-05-2013, 02:06 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It looks a lot better in black than silver to me. However it's VERY expensive in the UK, £2700 with a 50mm I think. Especially considering that it's AF is from the D610 - good but not the best system from Nikon (which one might expect considering the price).

And a lack of video mode is an interesting omission.

11-05-2013, 05:00 AM   #80
Veteran Member

The Nikon DF Represents Everything Wrong With Photography | Fstoppers
11-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #81
Veteran Member

It's an interesting article, and one which could also be written about several other cameras - largely Leica ones.

I think form over function can be levelled at this camera because of the price. It costs, what, about £1000 more than a D610 and yet doesn't offer much more photographically. Indeed it loses video which is purely a marketing decision.

A retro basic camera could get away with it were it 'cheap'. But this really isn't. Nice camera but the price is the issue.
11-05-2013, 08:03 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
A retro basic camera could get away with it were it 'cheap'. But this really isn't. Nice camera but the price is the issue.
Not only price but in design, retro style is not "revolution". K-01 was "revolution" but as is become obvious photographers are conservative in taste, sticking to stupid dogmas.
IMHO if Ricoh/Pentax really needs an FF they should make it small and cheep, maybe even with no interchangeable lens like a GR.

11-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #83
Pentaxian

Yet another article from a person who projects their experience onto others. I feel this way so it must be true for everyone kind of thing.
11-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Yet another article from a person who projects their experience onto others. I feel this way so it must be true for everyone kind of thing.
No. Not really. Apart from anything else it's clearly an opinion piece so isn't that kind of what you'd expect? an opinion?

quote from the link: "I want to make it clear that I love Nikon and I honestly do not hate this camera. I look forward to reviewing it in the near future and I might even eventually own one. In this post I simply want to highlight that it’s becoming trendy to be a photographer and cameras like this may be appealing to us as photographers for the wrong reasons."
11-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
No. Not really. Apart from anything else it's clearly an opinion piece so isn't that kind of what you'd expect? an opinion?
It didn't read that way to me. For example, he jumped all over the video thing. The camera is reported to get 1700 shots on a small battery. Gee, removing video sounds like a good thing not a bad thing for a still camera.
11-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #86
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The FD makes me VERY glad I didn't buy a D600! The FD is very close to what I want in a dSLR, except that I have more legacy Pentax lenses than Nikon. (However, the aperture ring on all my Nikon lenses will couple to the FD - so I hope Pentax takes note.) Now to decide about the A7 I have on order...
11-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Aside from the headline, I don't see there us much to argue with in this article. Of course, the Df doesn't represent all that's "wrong" with photography, but the article does express some disdain for people who buy it for the pose factor. We see people who do that all the time, and not just with cameras, but there's more than one regular contributor here who's expressed similar feelings about the attention-grabbers who loudly proclaim their "Photographer" status with a large Canon or Nikon fitted with a big (preferably white) lens.

Put in different words, the Df represents a loud intrusion of the artefact-as-status-symbol movement into photography. It was always there, of course, but the Df will probably attract more of the same sort of person who buys expensive cars to proclaim who they are, rather than to drive them well. The difference between the Df and other cameras, including Leicas, is that it has been deliberately designed to attract that sort of person, but what it says to many people is perhaps not what the owner intended it to say.
11-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #88

I think the DF looks great, call me a hipster or whatever -- it looks cool. However, I do think it would frustrate me to some extent with the lack of certain functionality. combine that with the price and id rather stick with an A7 or A99 at the moment.
11-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #89
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by buttons Quote
I think the DF looks great, call me a hipster or whatever -- it looks cool.
Don't worry. I won't be calling you a hipster. The ones that do without ever meeting you in person operate on a totally different frequency and wave length. Perhaps even out of phase. They can be safely ignored.
11-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #90
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
The FD makes me VERY glad I didn't buy a D600! The FD is very close to what I want in a dSLR, except that I have more legacy Pentax lenses than Nikon. (However, the aperture ring on all my Nikon lenses will couple to the FD - so I hope Pentax takes note.) Now to decide about the A7 I have on order...
I just read a post on DPR where the poster stated the Aperture value is not reported in the VF for the older Nikkor lenses.. ridiculous, but they probably want to encourage G lens purchases after the initial glow of the purchase has wore off I suppose.