Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Where's the LX-D Ricoh?

Nikon is about to launch a new retro FF 16MP DSLR. The way things are going the FF market is going to be saturated (with everything possible based on current tech') and Pentax, it seems, will be left drowning in a sea of publicity from other manufacturers. You only have to look at how many posts the A7 cameras got over at DPR to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Why hasn't Ricoh announced a LX-D LTD (at least) and matching set of new HD FA Limited lenses.

Update: the new full frame retro Nikon camera will have F-mount and pentaprism | Nikon Rumors

Breaking: new Nikon full frame hybrid (mirrorless?) camera coming soon | Nikon Rumors

Last edited by bossa; 10-20-2013 at 05:47 PM.
10-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Pentaprism viewfinder (meaning the camera will not be mirrorless)

Read more on NikonRumors.com:
Breaking: new Nikon full frame hybrid (mirrorless?) camera coming soon | Nikon Rumors
10-20-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, considering the degree of secrecy Ricoh has been able to maintain, even if the LX-D was going to be released next month we likely wouldn't know anything about it.

I get the sense that Ricoh is building a camera company starting with the foundation. Which means making lots of background changes we will never see, in manufacturing, distribution, R&D. They seem a very methodical company, that progresses slowly but surely. Maybe that means they get to FF too late to make an impact but that's the way they work.

And in my opinion, if they invested a ton of money in a FF system and had only the marketing and support they currently have it would almost certainly flop. All the pieces (R&D, manufacturing, distribution, marketing, support) have to be in place. And I don't think they are there yet. They are IMHO, several years (at least) behind the competition, I think we will see them gain in the next year or so but the other guys are not sitting still either.

And showing too many cards too soon let's the competition, which might be faster to market, make adjustments. Saw a Nikon ad today featuring a red camera. Assumed it was a Pentax ad until I looked close. Who would have thought Nikon would come out with a red dslr? Maybe they think Ricoh knows something? Or maybe they just want to short circuit any possible advantage a competitor can claim. "Hey, we have cameras in colors, too......"
10-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
'Same sensor as in the Nikon D4'. Interesting. They should have gone for a 24MP.

A retro digital FF Pentax with a big bright OVF would be nice I guess. Pentax could certainly do a boutique body design like that no problems. Stick a FF sensor in front of the guts of the K-3, wrap it all in a retro LX body, charge a premium, maybe even issue a limited edition run in silver, profit.

10-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter

There have been numerous calls for such a camera on this forum since the day I first joined. Including more than a few (mine included) that suggest dumping the auto-focus and built-in flash in the interest of smaller battery/lower weight. Apparently nobody wants my money

Steve
10-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Apparently nobody wants my money
They don't want my money, either. I recently acquired a ZX-5N from the forum. I love using it, so far. It is small and light, and the autofocus seems to work quite well. The exposure compensation dial is great. In short, the ergonomic experience of using it is great - MUCH more enjoyable than my K20D and K-x. I've only used it with my Tamron 28-75 so far. I can't even imagine how nice it would be to use with an autofocus prime (because I don't own any autofocus primes).

Sony has proven that full frame digital cameras don't have to be large. There are no more excuses.
10-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If they can knock out a K-01, even going so far as to hire a bigtime designer for it, they can surely tweak existing processes for a limited run on a retro styled FF DSLR. Someone at DPR stated not so long ago that Pentax engineers had put a Canon 5D sensor in a k-5 for testing, although I have no idea as to the veracity of this claim.

A limited-run "boutique" item may not require extra support if they use parts common to the other products in their line anyway.
10-20-2013, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
If they can knock out a K-01, even going so far as to hire a bigtime designer for it, they can surely tweak existing processes for a limited run on a retro styled FF DSLR.
You know, the K-01 might be the problem. As we all know, they had discontinue the K-01 because there was just too much demand for it. Maybe they already know that there will be so much demand that they will have to discontinue it immediately, and they'd rather just not make the new camera at all.

10-20-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
You know, the K-01 might be the problem. As we all know, they had discontinue the K-01 because there was just too much demand for it. Maybe they already know that there will be so much demand that they will have to discontinue it immediately, and they'd rather just not make the new camera at all.
You're joking right?
10-20-2013, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

You're joking right?
The irony bypass that many of our US friends have had, seems to predominate in the states between New York and California. In case you missed it, the poster is from California.

Not saying it doesn't exist outside of there, mind...
10-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
'Same sensor as in the Nikon D4'. Interesting. They should have gone for a 24MP.

A retro digital FF Pentax with a big bright OVF would be nice I guess. Pentax could certainly do a boutique body design like that no problems. Stick a FF sensor in front of the guts of the K-3, wrap it all in a retro LX body, charge a premium, maybe even issue a limited edition run in silver, profit.
If it's true, I imagine the lower-resolution sensor is to keep the cost down, and keep the old-timers who've been hankering for one of these happy. In that case, you don't need a leading-edge sensor, or an AF that is super-fast or accurate, come to that, if you need one at all. As for charging a premium, that's possible, if you keep the overall price down.
10-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
The irony bypass that many of our US friends have had, seems to predominate in the states between New York and California. In case you missed it, the poster is from California.

Not saying it doesn't exist outside of there, mind...
Oh wow! Did that statement actually come out of Taz??
10-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The comment in question would have been perfect "tongue in cheek" but I wasn't sure if that was the intention. I'd like to laugh but I'm more inclined to cry.
10-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

You're joking right?
I was joking. If you remember, one of the Pentax representatives from Japan (sorry, I can't remember his name) appeared to say in an interview that the K-01 was discontinued because there was too much demand.
10-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
the K-01 was discontinued because there was too much demand.
I remember that. But then shortly afterwards they released the Smurf coloured blue and white K-01. So who knows what really goes on in the Ricoh bunker.