Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-23-2013, 08:01 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Maybe, but I dont see that happening for a while. Unlike digital full frame,there seems to be very little movement in the digital medium format realm to get more affordable and accessable to the average consumer.
Hence as digital matures... 20, 30, 40, etc years.

10-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
So, it may well be that between smart phones and full frame, pretty much everything else is collapsing right now.
APS-C will probably still get a good run in compacts and entry-level mirrorless for the next several years, but I agree: in the future, serious cameras will need the larger format to be able to stay in the game.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
I surely don't know, but I cannot help speculate that such a rather unmotivated press relase - with no other substantial news to accompany it - could be a defensive reaction to all the hype there has been around the new Pentax K-3 and Sony A7 releases?
I looked at the thing again and I am probably a bit over-interpreting things.

The press release just announces a number of sales campaigns Nikon Germany is going to launch Nov. 1 (valid until Jan 31).

So, it is nothing but this years's Xmas campaign.

The message is that they bet on full frame for this year end.

The sales campaigns are:
  • cash back (up to 200€) on seven full frame lenses.
  • Try & Buy: you can lease a D610 or D800 for free!
  • Nikon school FX workshop for free after purchase of a new full frame.
10-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I looked at the thing again and I am probably a bit over-interpreting things.

The press release just announces a number of sales campaigns Nikon Germany is going to launch Nov. 1 (valid until Jan 31).

• cash back (up to 200€) on seven full frame lenses.
  • Try & Buy: you can lease a D610 or D800 for free!
  • Nikon school FX workshop for free after purchase of a new full frame.
Just watch a documentary call "Side by Side" yesterday - basically a film vs digital in movie industry, great documentary. A similar transition is going through for photography as well, albeit slower.
FF will become main stream, like it or not, and PENTAX will follow suit...

10-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I think the press release is just Nikon choking on some sour grapes. They've seen the K-3 and know they have nothing to compete. So, like the bullies on the playground, they've decided to announce that they're "focusing on FX, anyway." Did the release have a picture of someone sticking their tongue out, too?
10-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #21
Veteran Member

What about the new Nikon FF FM2 size camera ,supposedly coming very soon?? as a response to Sony A7..if its true then Pentax needs to get up off its but & release a FF, and if priced under $1400 then it becomes exciting!! bye bye Oly EM1 & K3

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/10/24/first-nikon-retro-camera-teaser-its-in-my-...px/#more-65898
10-23-2013, 11:43 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Why would Pentax need to make FF and price it under 1600, even under 2000? This FM is going to be expensive, D 800 is expensive and 5DIII is expensive, more than 2500...? Seem to be out of logic, and also make new K-3 look like nothing, wich it is not by any means... oh my, Have I been provoked by troll?

10-23-2013, 11:50 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Why would Pentax need to make FF and price it under 1600, even under 2000? This FM is going to be expensive, D 800 is expensive and 5DIII is expensive, more than 2500...? Seem to be out of logic, and also make new K-3 look like nothing, wich it is not by any means... oh my, Have I been provoked by troll?
The only reason I could think of is that it would be fun for us. Wouldn't be smart for Pentax though, it would damage their whole APS-C line of gear, which is their bread and butter. Let the big established brands fight the price wars.
10-23-2013, 11:53 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
The only reason I could think of is that it would be fun for us. Wouldn't be smart for Pentax though, it would damage their whole APS-C line of gear, which is their bread and butter. Let the big established brands fight the price wars.
it would be fun, for us...still there would be some who says that it is waaay too expensive.
10-24-2013, 12:01 AM   #25
Veteran Member

it would be fun, for us...still there would be some who says that it is waaay too expensive.
Of course... And there will be some that it makes Pentax "cheap".
10-24-2013, 12:04 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Of course... And there will be some that it makes Pentax "cheap".

yup.
10-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Why would Pentax need to make FF and price it under 1600, even under 2000? This FM is going to be expensive, D 800 is expensive and 5DIII is expensive, more than 2500...? Seem to be out of logic, and also make new K-3 look like nothing, wich it is not by any means...

oh my, Have I been provoked by troll?
troll with over 3K of Pentax gear

it was if Nikon priced the new FF under 1600,to compete with Sony A7.... but probably not with the 1st FM2, but the FM200 or whatever in 6 months...
10-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote

it was if Nikon priced the new FF under 1600,to compete with Sony A7.... but probably not with the 1st FM2, but the FM200 or whatever in 6 months...
Ah, I see.

Nikon has one model soon going near that 1600€...to compete with Sony...perhaps. Would this be right segment to aim, if one should build FF...and Those two near that price range are really different from each others. We shall see if Nikon will make stripped down vers. Of FM2. Plausibly, but that would eat quite some status from high end oneofthe kind model. This FM2 is more of and status thing in my eyes.

Oh well if Pentax would make a FF, they should make it straight to top. IMO. But this is for now only if.
10-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Slacker.
10-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Nikon D600 is 1750 on amazon right now
Canon 6D is 1575 on amazon right now

What are you competing with?

I don't mind if the Pentax full frame is $1500 or $3500, but I want it to be a good value whatever the price is.