Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2013, 12:59 AM   #91
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Byrd-2020 Quote
Nikon acknowledged the problems with the D600 and corrected them. Pentax-Hoya (and many of the 'fan-boys' here) just went into denial about the ongoing issues with the K-5.
They corrected them by launching the D610. How is that any better than launching the K-5IIs?

You're trying too hard to justify your decision, when there is no need for that. Be happy with your Nikons, that's all it matters.

11-04-2013, 04:30 AM - 1 Like   #92
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Byrd-2020 Quote
If the D600 was Nikon's "Edsel" what do we call the original Pentax K-5? Just ask readers on this forum about having to suffer through front-focusing problems, sensor stains, and parts falling off?

Nikon acknowledged the problems with the D600 and corrected them. Pentax-Hoya (and many of the 'fan-boys' here) just went into denial about the ongoing issues with the K-5.

Ricoh certainly appears to care more about Pentax than did Hoya. However, we have seen nothing thus far other than "me too" products. I still own 11 K mount lenses (down from 19); I am hoping that Ricoh will do something significant with the Pentax brand name. But in the meantime I'm shooting with the Fuji X system. I'll also be taking a close look at the new Sony A7s and the Nikon DF.
It sounds to me like you probably should sell your gear. Even if Ricoh does release a full frame camera (I think they will), it will probably be too little too late.

Certainly under Hoya, service and quality suffered. My perception is that Ricoh has done a lot to improve that. Certainly I haven't heard much negative about the GR, K5 II, Q7, K50, or K500 -- all of which were released under Ricoh's watch.

I think your defense of Nikon for the D600 situation is unfortunate. Nikon did not adequately address the D600 situation and finally had to re release the same camera under a different name to finally let people know that they had taken care of the issues that plagued the D600. Certainly the D600 came across as somewhat poorly designed. I know that Nikon has more good will to burn than Pentax does at this point, but I still think that it left a bad taste in many people's mouths.
01-07-2014, 07:27 AM   #93

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I don't know about Nikon prepping itself for acquisition. I think it maybe an attempt on Nikon's part to return to their glory days (film days...1960's/70's) when they were considered as the ultimate professional and advanced enthusiast's camera body of choice.
Ummm....D4
01-07-2014, 07:31 AM   #94

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Certainly under Hoya, service and quality suffered. My perception is that Ricoh has done a lot to improve that. Certainly I haven't heard much negative about the GR, K5 II, Q7, K50, or K500 -- all of which were released under Ricoh's watch.
K5-II, a BRILLIANT camera. Can't say enough good things about this camera.

01-07-2014, 10:38 AM   #95
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PJay Quote
Ummm....D4
Ummmm....

I go back a long time...back in the '60's and 70's I used to work in the publishing field .

In the late '60's and '70's...Nikon owned the pro market. Canon came out with their F1...think about '71 and since then made a concentrated effort (successful) to take a significant chunk of the pro market.

Many would say that for the past couple of decades.... Canon is the dominant manufacturer in the pro ranks.
01-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #96

Apologies...I understand what you meant now, as in Canon being the dominant manufacturer (as many would say).

I'm biased towards sports photography and there is not a camera that can touch the D4 (that's just my opinion).

Thanks for clarifying.
01-10-2014, 07:42 PM - 1 Like   #97
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
APS-C is the bread and butter of DSLR industry .
It sustains all players. But apart from bread and butter, Nikon and Canon and Sony offer a side dish, soups to choose from, lucrative dessert and a champagne.
Ricoh Imaging is still on a very limited bread and butter diet — now with added Parmesan cheese and parsley dressing — and that is why to some fine food connoisseurs Pentax restaurant looks like a public dining room. Under a new management and freshly painted, but still very much the same.

01-13-2014, 03:11 AM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
APS-C is the bread and butter of DSLR industry .
It sustains all players. But apart from bread and butter, Nikon and Canon and Sony offer a side dish, soups to choose from, lucrative dessert and a champagne.
Ricoh Imaging is still on a very limited bread and butter diet — now with added Parmesan cheese and parsley dressing — and that is why to some fine food connoisseurs Pentax restaurant looks like a public dining room. Under a new management and freshly painted, but still very much the same.
I love this analogy! The Pentax menu is indeed confusing. They have candy-bars (Q), bread and butter (APS-C) and the 7-course lobster-dinner (645D), but little in between.
01-13-2014, 06:11 PM   #99
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJay Quote
Ummm....D4
This surrected a zombie thread.
Even though it originally was a thread I did create but which is obsoleted now the special Nikon sales offers come to end if life, I'll unsubscribe from it. Mods may consider to close it.
01-26-2014, 02:30 PM   #100

Full frame nonsense! Similar moment to the 70s and 80s

As technology progresses, sensors getting better and better, it does not make any sense to go back to full frame. Photographers, pro or enthusiasts want lighter glasses, FF cannot compete on that arena. Pentax K-3 is a winner for many reasons, first is the fact that it requires lighter and smaller glasses(APS-C sensor), and second, it has amazing image quality, auto-focusing system and features. I just tested the camera over the last weekend and this one with couple of long glasses and to my surprise its auto-focusing system is the best! It tracks better and more precise then my Canon EOS 1D X, Mark VI, and 7D! believe it or not that is true, amazing what its 27 auto-focusing sensors do. I am selling all my Canons and all my glasses, especially the heavy ones. I am coming back to Pentax, bye bye heavy stuff! FF... not even thinking about anymore. Pentax K-3 it is, an impressive little camera! more later about that beauty Oh! by the way Nikon is making a fuzz about investing on FF because it pays patent for canon on almost everything it does to its glasses and they don't want to loose that battle let alone be left behind with that heavy stuff they have! Again, the future is now and that is leaning towards smaller sensors, not big ones. We are living in a moment very similar to the 70s and 80s where the discussion was the same. Oh! are you shooting with 35mm film! Oh no! that is not professional! 6x4,5, 6X6, 6x7 and the likes are pro, better image quality... sure! no doubt about that, but look what happen to those cameras and specially to its glasses when Kodak and Fujifilm launched better and better films, the big glasses lost a lot of market share, because tons of pros started to move to 35mm film cameras! so, to end this, yes the future is now, so instead of moving towards big and heavy glasses (Full frame cameras) it is best to move towards lighter and smaller glasses. I just keep thinking how awesome the Pentax K-1 is going to be smaller guys! not bigger! Technology is already very good today and it is going to cover us up even better in very near future, wake up! Have a great day
01-26-2014, 08:24 PM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zeca Quote
As technology progresses, sensors getting better and better, it does not make any sense to go back to full frame. Photographers, pro or enthusiasts want lighter glasses, FF cannot compete on that arena.
In popular areas, like normal primes, normal zooms, wide angle primes, etc., full frame is generally lighter at F/4 and below (FF).

FF not only can compete, it's better, and often cheaper for the entire system.
01-26-2014, 09:08 PM   #102

FF cannot be compared to APS-C as apples cannot be compared to oranges

No, FF cannot be compared to APS-C sensor, as apples and oranges cannot be compared. No, FF looses to every category in terms of weight when compared to APS-C sensors, especially Pentax that has the smallest and lightest DA new lenses on the market today. No, FF even the smallest and darkest of the lenses looses to APS-C sensor lenses on the same category. The long glasses, wow! the amount of weight that APS-C saves for the same effective focal length it is gigantic! Again, when we try to compare things we need to know what we are comparing. Now, comparing apples with apples, Nikon D7100 and Pentax k-3 both on the same category, Pentax wins hands down, both have the same sensor technology, well, Nikon has a slight edge over Pentax on that one as you can see at the DxO sensor tests, though no eyes in the world could tell the difference, Sony is the one fabricating the sensor for both of them, so nothing new there, but despite 51 auto-focusing sensors, Nikon looses to Pentax with only 27, Nikon's buffer is way worst then Pentax, Pentax takes 8.3 FPS against 6 FPS on Nikon... now that is comparison... Pentax is the winner :-) APS-C is now great and it will be awesome in the future, it's all about weight my friend, weight Physical weight and weight on our pocket
01-26-2014, 10:53 PM   #103
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
In popular areas, like normal primes, normal zooms, wide angle primes, etc., full frame is generally lighter at F/4 and below (FF).
FF not only can compete, it's better, and often cheaper for the entire system.
One can say just about anything in online forums.
You got yourself now a present: a Sigma 18-35/1.8, made for FF, just for you. You'll be privileged to carry such a light lens around.
01-26-2014, 11:17 PM   #104
Veteran Member

Obviously.

The Tamron 28-75 is 36% longer on the long end, 42% lighter overall, $300 cheaper, just as fast on FF as 1.8 is on APS-C.

I don't know how many times I have to do this, but it'd be a nicer forum if people were polite when they disagree.

#fullframelenscomparison

Last edited by ElJamoquio; 01-26-2014 at 11:24 PM.
01-27-2014, 09:47 AM   #105
Veteran Member

Indeed. Good thing there are folks like Falk, ElJamoquio and Class A (among many others) who can bring reality back from time to time.

QuoteQuote:
You got yourself now a present: a Sigma 18-35/1.8, made for FF, just for you. You'll be privileged to carry such a light lens around.
On FF, the $300 Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 handles that role very nicely, thanks, and goes longer! (although I hear Sigma's about to come out with an f/2 constant zoom for FF.)