Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2014, 04:01 AM   #136

I am struggling to understand the benefit of Pentax putting so much investment in to full-frame, other than nostalgia and hype generated by competitor's releases. Whenever I look up the benefits of using Full-Frame they seem minor, and probably beneficial to a select few.
Is it not a delusion of most photographers that going FF is suddenly going to improve their photography to justify all of this... fervour?

02-17-2014, 05:56 AM   #137
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by driftCAU Quote
Is it not a delusion of most photographers that going FF is suddenly going to improve their photography to justify all of this... fervour?
Getting a jewel of a lens, like the FA 31 ltd isn't going to suddenly improve our photography either. Nor is the newest K-3. Nor does upgrading to a DSLR. ...So, lets all dump our gear and use our smartphones instead? I'll be over in the forum's marketplace hitting F5...

Last edited by Clavius; 02-17-2014 at 06:21 AM.
02-17-2014, 06:11 AM   #138
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am struggling to understand the benefit of Pentax putting so much investment in to full-frame, other than nostalgia and hype generated by competitor's releases. Whenever I look up the benefits of using Full-Frame they seem minor, and probably beneficial to a select few.
When Pentax' best crop camera is better for its intended uses than an excellent FF camera they'll release a FF. Then users can choose the best camera for their needs.
02-17-2014, 06:32 AM   #139
Veteran Member

A. Are they putting effort into developing a FF camera?

B. If you don't understand the benefit of FF then try it, and if you still don't understand then there's no need for you to move on.

C. When you look beyond the enthusiast market then that select few becomes the vast majority.

02-17-2014, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #140
Veteran Member

Getting a FF camera is not about improving one's photography, but giving photographers a wider choice of tools for their photography..
Just like for carpenters, yes they can tear down a wall with a small hammer, but they want a better tool for the job like using a sledgehammer; a humongous wrecking ball for their needs is too much from what is asked/needed (if you say "why not get a 645D instead if you want bigger sensor?")
So far, in the Pentax world, we only have a small hammer and a huge wrecking ball, we don't have a sledgehammer...

Last edited by richard balonglong; 02-17-2014 at 07:44 AM.
02-17-2014, 08:58 AM   #141
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by richard balonglong Quote
putting so much investment in to full-frame
We can't presume that they will be sinking a fortune into FF development.

I suspect Pentax have had various FF options under slow, almost 'after hours' development for many years now, just waiting for the green light from someone senior to allow them to proceed. So I think they will be starting their design and engineering work on the foundation of previous work, which will make the effort cheaper than starting from a clean sheet of paper..

Similarly, I also suspect that a lot of the internals of any new FF - perhaps the AF, the 86k pixel AE metering system, and other stuff - will be tech borrowed from the K-3. Re-using that existing tech will keep costs down and speed development.

There's no need for any new Pentax FF to be totally new in every respect, and gold plated.
02-17-2014, 09:11 AM   #142
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
There's no need for any new Pentax FF to be totally new in every respect, and gold plated.
IMHO the 'new' technology will be in the shutter (of course) and thus enable 1/250 or better flash sync. I have this little conspiracy theory that the new 360/540 flashes have as yet undocumented electronics that will take advantage of it.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-18-2014 at 06:22 AM.
02-17-2014, 09:46 PM   #143
Veteran Member

D600+24-85 is cheaper, lighter, wider, longer, sharper, etc... than K-3 + 16-50.

Whaddya wanna do?

02-17-2014, 11:31 PM   #144
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have this little consipiacy theory that the new 360/540 flashes have as yet undocumented electronics that will take advantage of it.

I suspect this is the case as well, remember when Sony(minolta) released new flash units before releasing the A900?