Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The whole point is for us to get a k mount ff. Pentax had better figure out how to stabilize the sensor, or just get rid of sr and make a few stabilized lenses instead. A new mount would only make sense for mirrorless as long as the lenses continue to be adaptable onto dslrs.
Pentax has now a patent with a new SR system which can stabilize either sensor or optical element on the lens.

11-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #62

Many lenses definitely do throw a large enough image circle for SR movements. The K35/3.5 is something like 55mm of illumination.

Also note that even if the mount does clip the corners on extreme SR movements (I doubt it really will) that's not necessarily a show-stopper. It just means that corner will be vignetted a small amount.

I'm very curious what Sony has next in their pipeline. They were reported to be collaborating with Olympus on a 5-axis stabilizing sensor. The late-13/early-14 timeline is too soon, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that technology drop late '14, which is probably the soonest Pentax can realistically be expected to get a FF out. If they wanted to vignette their corners or operate in a 1.05x crop sensor mode (or some combination) they could beat Pentax to the market with a SR FF body. Sony seems willing to shotgun out different models for different market segments, and they seem to have a very aggressive product cycle, I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen.
11-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #63

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Those photos demonstrate that the A7 with adapter can use Pentax FA lenses, although that's hardly a surprise and the results there don't look all that impressive. In terms of operability, this combination is a little like having a digital MX, which some people will be fine with, but not most, I suspect, at least not at the asking price. I'd like to see the results with the FA31 mounted on an A7r, as that would indicate the higher-resolution sensor may be a good candidate for a future Pentax, using the best current glass available.
It makes less sense with autofocus lenses, or even the A-series with auto-aperture. You're giving up features and not getting much in return for them.

On the other hand, that's exactly the norm for manual-focus alt-glass. You have manual focus and manual aperture. To meter, you turn the ring and stop down, just like pushing the green button. It's not really hard once you get used to it.
11-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul MaudDib Quote
It makes less sense with autofocus lenses, or even the A-series with auto-aperture. You're giving up features and not getting much in return for them.

On the other hand, that's exactly the norm for manual-focus alt-glass. You have manual focus and manual aperture. To meter, you turn the ring and stop down, just like pushing the green button. It's not really hard once you get used to it.
Well, indeed, and that's how many of us learned with manual film cameras, but the question is how many would want to go back there at that price. After the initial surge of interest in the A7s and the Df, I don't see a huge ongoing move toward them, at least here: the arrival of the K-3 seems to have muted discussion, and with good reason as it's a far more capable camera for Pentax glass users, APS-C or not.

11-20-2013, 01:48 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
After the initial surge of interest in the A7s and the Df, I don't see a huge ongoing move toward them, at least here: the arrival of the K-3 seems to have muted discussion, and with good reason as it's a far more capable camera for Pentax glass users, APS-C or not.
It's good that you added "at least here" to that statement:
From source: Sony A7-A7r preorders 200% more than expected from Sony. Sony A7r review at CameraLabs. | sonyalpharumors
11-20-2013, 02:26 AM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Yes, I saw that, too, and wondered whether the expectation was directly based on market research or deliberately lowered to allow for exceeded "expectation". That, of course, would be lowering Sony to Samsung's level, so one would hope not.
11-20-2013, 04:33 AM   #67

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul MaudDib Quote

Fully agree with the manual focus and meter part, it is what I do everyday with K- M- and Takumar preset lenses. But sadly users like us are minority. Pentax still has to cater for the majority who use auto lenses.
11-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #68
Pentaxian

Some of us use both manual and auto focus on the same camera(s). There is a place for each, as long as the lens has a manual focus ring, of course.

The same goes for exposure.

11-26-2013, 01:51 AM   #69
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
Well since I get some information from Pentax related worker, He said they have trouble about FF. ...
They have trouble keeping the price of the final product at a reasonable/affordable level.
Pentax cameras won't have enough production volume to justify the FF investment needed, while keeping them competitive.

With APS-C they have no such problems as the tech is already developed and shared, nor with 645D they face same problem as the price in MF is not such a huge issue.

But with 35mm sensor tech they have problems because it is a serious new investment . That is ALL their trouble in producing the FF; not technical trouble, but paradigmatic and related to pure economy of the risk.
11-26-2013, 03:12 AM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
They have trouble keeping the price of the final product at a reasonable/affordable level.
Pentax cameras won't have enough production volume to justify the FF investment needed, while keeping them competitive.

With APS-C they have no such problems as the tech is already developed and shared, nor with 645D they face same problem as the price in MF is not such a huge issue.

But with 35mm sensor tech they have problems because it is a serious new investment . That is ALL their trouble in producing the FF; not technical trouble, but paradigmatic and related to pure economy of the risk.
Makes a lot of sense. Regardless of any personal preferences: what would be the safest FF camera for Pentax to develop?
11-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #71
Site Supporter

Just some guess's will do...
should I wait to get a FF till Jan/Feb in the hope that Pentax might deliver,or go for the A7r which seems to be perfect for what I want (landscapes)...
11-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Just some guess's will do...
should I wait to get a FF till Jan/Feb in the hope that Pentax might deliver,or go for the A7r which seems to be perfect for what I want (landscapes)...
Almost 0 chance we get a FF in Jan/Feb. We get a christmas camera, and some years, we get a spring camera.
11-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #73
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Makes a lot of sense. Regardless of any personal preferences: what would be the safest FF camera for Pentax to develop?
K-3 shaped DSLR with HD-ed FA Ltds. Uses same image processing engine.
Then an FF fixed lens compact that shares internals / LCD with the GR and the new engine from the K-3/FF.
Then everything else.

Very slow steps.
11-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Almost 0 chance we get a FF in Jan/Feb. We get a christmas camera, and some years, we get a spring camera.
I agree that it seems really unlikely to happen that soon, though a Pentax rep at a trade show in Sweden (I think) said to look for "big things" in Q1 2014. Doesn't necessarily mean FF, obviously. My guess (and it's purely a guess) would be Q2 or Q3.

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
K-3 shaped DSLR with HD-ed FA Ltds. Uses same image processing engine.
I think this is absolutely the most likely product. A FF K-3. Everything the same except the sensor. Requires the least investment into R&D, tooling, etc. Ironically, this is also exactly what I hope it turns out to be.
11-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #75
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I think this is absolutely the most likely product. A FF K-3. Everything the same except the sensor. Requires the least investment into R&D, tooling, etc. Ironically, this is also exactly what I hope it turns out to be.
Pentax has reworked mirror mechanics in the K-3 for that reason as well.