Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2014, 10:11 AM   #121

QuoteOriginally posted by infoomatic Quote
... we should start a kickstarter campaign ;-)
Absolutly.

02-06-2014, 10:44 AM   #122

QuoteOriginally posted by Deserthawk Quote
I am still chomping at the bit for a FF K-mount body to be introduced. I have rumors and whispers of rumors. I just don't understand why they haven't done anything. I am Loyal Pentax user and I have several thousands of dollars vested in K-mount lenes. I have a K-1000 still but afraid to use it in case I brake it. Why can't they get a digital FF body on the market.
Hah, don't be afraid to break a K-1000. They're beater student cameras. If it's a family heirloom or something, spend the $30 and buy a Pentax ME.
02-06-2014, 12:31 PM   #123

I don't think Pentax will renounce the SR. It's in some way a trade mark for Pentax
02-06-2014, 08:37 PM   #124

Of I would keep my legacy equipment and use it on the new bodies. If they change mount that is curtains for me and pentax cause what is the use of sticking with them of I have to reinvest in the lenes. If I have to re buy all the lens, then I will have to buy a body and the lenes. then I could say, well let me look around for other systems that may cost the same amount and provide my the same results.

I think you are right about the Me I want to also get a mz body cause I have a crap ton of film still.

02-07-2014, 06:27 PM   #125
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
As long as it's made of bare titanium and carbon rather than painted magnesium and plastic I won't complain.
Titanium is a pain to work with, it is expensive to cast because if cast under normal atmosphere the metal will detonate. Titanium has to be vacuum cast, and machined under an inert atmosphere. The resins used to bind carbon fibre are attacked by UV light and will eventually degrade, composites often become brittle under cold conditions and are vulnerable to breaking.
02-07-2014, 06:37 PM   #126
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Titanium is a pain to work with, it is expensive to cast because if cast under normal atmosphere the metal will detonate. Titanium has to be vacuum cast, and machined under an inert atmosphere. The resins used to bind carbon fibre are attacked by UV light and will eventually degrade, composites often become brittle under cold conditions and are vulnerable to breaking.
Aircraft composite structure and skins are regularly exposed to -65F and of course is constantly bombarded by UV. Heck even bicycle frames are made of composites. But a camera's environment is too harsh?
02-07-2014, 06:39 PM   #127
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Aircraft composite structure and skins are regularly exposed to -65F and of course is constantly bombarded by UV
The composites used in aircraft are painted and carefully maintained - which is a good thing considering the consequences for all the lives on board if they are not looked after. Also they they are not subjected to abrasives, dirt, and careless handling that camera bodies go through. My K10D has nicks and scrapes on its plastic exterior, my K7 has several points where I have worn through the exterior paint.
02-07-2014, 06:46 PM   #128
Site Supporter

The composites used in aircraft are painted and carefully maintained - which is a good thing considering the consequences for all the lives on board if they are not looked after. Also they they are not subjected to abrasives, dirt, and careless handling that camera bodies go through. My K10D has nicks and scrapes on its plastic exterior, my K7 has several points where I have worn through the exterior paint.
In military applications they have to function after being shot with a 50 caliber bullet. I consider that more than a nick.

And nowadays most boats are made of fiberglass...I don't know if you have been on a fishing boat but they are hardly babied.

Last edited by cali92rs; 02-07-2014 at 06:54 PM.
02-07-2014, 06:58 PM   #129
Pentaxian

In military applications they have to function after being shot with a 50 caliber bullet.
Carbon fibre isn't designed with this in mind the composites you speak of are different materials altogether.

And nowadays most boats are made of fiberglass...I don't know if you have been on a fishing boat but they are hardly babied
Do you have any idea how many ruined fibreglass hulls I have seen in my time? - quite a few, and they aren't re-usable or repairable the way metal or wood hulls are.
02-07-2014, 07:11 PM   #130
Site Supporter

Carbon fibre isn't designed with this in mind the composites you speak of are different materials fibpressuss ether.

Do you have any idea how many ruined fibreglass hulls I have seen in my time? - quite a few, and they aren't re-usable or repairable the way metal or wood hulls are.
Of course there are a lot of ruined fibreglass hulls...people have the ability to ruin anything. What's your point? And fibreglass hulls are repaired every day.
Composite materials are used in way more harsh environments than cameras are on a daily basis, from mountain bike frames to pressure vessels to propellers etc.
02-07-2014, 07:22 PM   #131
Pentaxian

omposite materials are used in way more harsh environments than cameras are on a daily basis, from mountain bike frames to pressure vessels to propellers etc.
That is exactly my point - we don't need them. They belong in unnecessarily expensive high performance articles and military hardware - not cameras.

In Dubai you can buy a $30,000 gem studded iphone, is it any better than a regular one? no. Is it any more durable than a regular one, no.
02-07-2014, 07:29 PM   #132
Site Supporter

That is exactly my point - we don't need them. They belong in unnecessarily expensive high performance articles and military hardware - not cameras.

In Dubai you can buy a $30,000 gem studded iphone, is it any better than a regular one? no. Is it any more durable than a regular one, no.
I agree with this quote... however cost was never mentioned in your first quote. Only that carbon fiber couldn't withstand UV rays and cold temperatures.
02-07-2014, 08:05 PM   #133
Pentaxian

I agree with this quote... however cost was never mentioned in your first quote.
Actually it was, with the most expensive material mentioned - titanium. Carbon fibre is actually pretty cheap when compared to more specialized composites. But for use as a structural component in the external shell of the camera I wouldn't recommend it.

Only that carbon fiber couldn't withstand UV rays and cold temperatures.
It can withstand UV to an extent - however its mechanical strength and aesthetics are eroded by built up exposure to UV.
02-07-2014, 09:01 PM   #134

Photos: Gallery
I have a K-1000 still but afraid to use it in case I brake it.
You're afraid of breaking a camera known for decades-long durability? Go get your K1000 CLAed and go shoot something!
02-08-2014, 11:19 AM   #135
Banned

I am still chomping at the bit for a FF K-mount body to be introduced. I have rumors and whispers of rumors. I just don't understand why they haven't done anything. I am Loyal Pentax user and I have several thousands of dollars vested in K-mount lenes. I have a K-1000 still but afraid to use it in case I brake it. Why can't they get a digital FF body on the market.
There are a zillion Pentax K1000 FF SLRs on ebay selling for a song.

Pentax K1000 35mm SLR Film Camera with 50mm Lens 027075045002 | eBay