Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
rlatjsrud

FF possible

Well since I get some information from Pentax related worker, He said they have trouble about FF. Keep the K-mount or make new mount like A-mount. For keeping K-mount, since the FF sensor is bigger than Crop-sensor, the SR functions would be limited and limited functions will cause the low image quality(idk how does it but it's true). On the other hand, make new mount A-mount or using Medium lens(rumor). The problem would be abandon K-mount users.

Do you prefer to keeping K-mount or New mount for FF?

11-03-2013, 05:37 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The whole point is for us to get a k mount ff. Pentax had better figure out how to stabilize the sensor, or just get rid of sr and make a few stabilized lenses instead. A new mount would only make sense for mirrorless as long as the lenses continue to be adaptable onto dslrs.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
rlatjsrud

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The whole point is for us to get a k mount ff. Pentax had better figure out how to stabilize the sensor, or just get rid of sr and make a few stabilized lenses instead. A new mount would only make sense for mirrorless as long as the lenses continue to be adaptable onto dslrs.
Well since Pentax use SR for many functions.They don't want to get rid of SR with many functions
11-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, look at the sensor in the mount of Sony A7. corners are shaded with nearly no depth to work with, but apparently it works.

11-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They might have to make a really hard decision. Not sure what I would do if I had to buy all new lenses..... Would definitely look at the other options before making a choice. Not carrying k-mount forward seems like a really bad idea. But maybe they think the existing base is too small to matter in the long run anyway.
11-03-2013, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Make it 1.05x crop (or somewhere around there) and keep all the SR with K-mount...

Edit: even better - make the crop configurable, and just turn off (or limit) SR if they're using 1x crop. This doesn't seem too difficult, but maybe I'm missing something....

I wouldn't mind a new mount only if it still had an optical TTL viefinder and a fully functioning adapter to K-mount with negligable loss of IQ.
11-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally I think I would rather see a slight crop (as long as its < 1.2 x say) only while SR is enabled (FF otherwise) than lose K-mount. While they were at it would hope there was an automatic (overridable) crop mode for DA lens compatibility.
Compatibility is one of the key points that separates most of the other manufacturers and certainly was a key reason I went to Pentax.

11-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It appears to be something of a packaging problem. Just take a look at the SR assembly that Pentax has been using in their marketing.

and then with the associated surrounding installation / support package

Then picture this slid into a K body. The sensor will be twice as large, and will need to maintain the same location with respect to the mount.

So, to me - it appears that it comes primarily down to packaging - and finding the amount of room for the assembly to need to move around within. Also, the supporting structure is going to need to be a bit larger to accommodate the larger sensor. I get the feeling that Pentax is trying to maintain a similar body size - which is making things a bit difficult to accommodate the increased sensor size along with the necessary room in which to allow it to move to support SR.

11-03-2013, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Why would Ricoh invest in Pentax and abandon the K-mount so soon? They had enough expertise to make a new mount, crush Pentax and buy out the pieces in a fire sale, it would seem to me. Even Sony wasn't that harsh with the maxxum/dynax mount (though their support has dwindled noticeably).

But who can say? When our hobbies and sports teams are reduced to business decisions, it's tough to watch. It becomes personal, even as a business decision.

p.s. I'd still take a 30x30, 25Mpx sensor and run with it.. someone hurry up & make one!
11-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #10
rlatjsrud

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Well, look at the sensor in the mount of Sony A7. corners are shaded with nearly no depth to work with, but apparently it works.
idk what you want to talk about... If they keep the K-mount, it will be same size as you showed. Which means SR is impossible unless they use New mount.
11-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #11
rlatjsrud

Anyway putting the SR+FF sensor+K-mount would be hard. They can not use SR anymore with FF. Put SR in lenses will cause the price increase.(even now pentax lenses are slight expensive than other brands.)
11-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
idk what you want to talk about... If they keep the K-mount, it will be same size as you showed. Which means SR is impossible unless they use New mount.
Yes, but they won't have to deal with the same acute angle as Sony, giving them a bit easier time to incorporate something as SR.
11-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It sounds like another lame ass excuse. The K-mount has to do with accommodating a FF lens. What behind the mount - i.e. Body, Sensor, SR is Pentax's problem and I'm sure they can work it out.
11-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #14
Veteran Member

If Nikon can put a full frame image through their tiny mount, a few mm smaller diameter than Pentax, then Pentax can sure cover a few mm 'extra' at the edges.
11-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
Anyway putting the SR+FF sensor+K-mount would be hard. They can not use SR anymore with FF. Put SR in lenses will cause the price increase.(even now pentax lenses are slight expensive than other brands.)
So it's hard - work it out, they aren't going to compete in their industry by just taking the easy routes. A FF without SR would make me think twice - it's one of the biggest strong points for Pentax in my book.