Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #106

QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
Yes. Optical stabilisation is for beginners like the stabilisers on this little bicycle . . .

Unless you're using long focal lengths, but that's usually done using a tripod anyway and mirror lock up to reduce vibration from the mirror flap.
Insurance companies certainly like you to buy "stabilizers" for motorcycles. They're the weird tricycle motorcycles, and they're way safer to ride, although they don't carry quite the same bad-boy image as a Harley (or a fast lens shot wide open).

Optical stabilization is always useful for handheld landscape-ish shots. Of course it does nothing for subject motion, but being able to hold a background steady for a prolonged period of time is useful. Nowadays it matters less because you can push the ISO up to 12800 or something, but being able to use a lower ISO will always deliver less noise. It's just a wider envelope of possible shooting conditions.

Last edited by Paul MaudDib; 12-22-2013 at 12:14 AM.
12-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes. Optical stabilisation is for beginners like the stabilisers on this little bicycle . . .

Unless you're using long focal lengths, but that's usually done using a tripod anyway and mirror lock up to reduce vibration from the mirror flap.
You guys don't need training wheels on your little bike?... wow, I'm impressed. I bet you guys ride with no hands.
Does this qualify as one of those, "I'm so good, the rest of you guys ( who use training wheels for frigs sake) can't even imagine how good I am" posts? Or were you trying to say something more positive? I hope you weren't trying to shame people into not using SR, that would just be sad, it's a useful function that can be added to every modern DSLR one way or another... but, you guys are so much better than those fools who pay for it, I guess that really doesn't matter to you. Think of the thousands everyone would save, if they just listened to you guys, and had your skills.

Extended sarcasm rant over

Thanks for the laugh...
12-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #108
Veteran Member

I have to totally disagree - that is a very limited view. In countless situations SR will allow you to shoot photos that otherwise would not have been possible. A tripod is not always available or even practical to use.
12-28-2013, 12:44 AM   #109

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
So it's hard - work it out, they aren't going to compete in their industry by just taking the easy routes. A FF without SR would make me think twice - it's one of the biggest strong points for Pentax in my book.
I could't agree more Jeffshaddix!

Lets break this down guys.....what are the most important reasons you went Pentax?
Here's mine.

1: Best backwards lens capability....right back to 60's screw mount Takumars! (Put that in your pipe & smoke it Canon & Nikon!)
2: SR
3: Individuality! Who needs to follow the crowd? Let's face it we all love the Canon/Nikon fanatics all coming over at a wedding & asking.."why did you buy Pentax?"....then comparing photos after the wedding. hahaha...........(okay I studied photography for three years, but I am not gonna tell them that am I!).

I divulge!....So let's get back to the topic.

FF? absolutely! & the main reason for me is my wide angle lenses work properly, a 24 is a 24mm.
Pentax need to realize that the starting point of selling FF will be to existing Pentax DSLR owners, as most of us have invested hugely in lenses.
It also means they can put out adverts pointing out to old SLR film users that they can pull their old lenses out the cupboard & use them, they don't have to spend big buck on all new lenses, & they need to point out the other brands can't do this.

If you have a strategic advantage in battle, exploit it!

Last edited by Asama; 12-28-2013 at 12:59 AM. Reason: left a pierce out
12-28-2013, 03:18 AM - 1 Like   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asama Quote
I could't agree more Jeffshaddix!

Lets break this down guys.....what are the most important reasons you went Pentax?

<snip>

If you have a strategic advantage in battle, exploit it!

The 31Ltd was out in K-mount, so I needed a body to mount behind the lens......
12-28-2013, 07:04 AM   #111
Banned

QuoteQuote:
FF? absolutely! & the main reason for me is my wide angle lenses work properly, a 24 is a 24mm.
I agree, I prefer my fast F1.4 24mm super wide with 84° FOV that does not work like a 36mm wide angle lens with 62° FOV.

Last edited by jogiba; 12-28-2013 at 01:34 PM.
01-27-2014, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #112

Full Frame

Pentax need Full Frame !!

01-27-2014, 07:49 PM   #113
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
... said the Hulk.
01-27-2014, 09:00 PM - 3 Likes   #114
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hulk Need FF

01-28-2014, 02:12 AM   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul MaudDib Quote
Insurance companies certainly like you to buy "stabilizers" for motorcycles. They're the weird tricycle motorcycles, and they're way safer to ride, although they don't carry quite the same bad-boy image as a Harley (or a fast lens shot wide open).

Optical stabilization is always useful for handheld landscape-ish shots. Of course it does nothing for subject motion, but being able to hold a background steady for a prolonged period of time is useful. Nowadays it matters less because you can push the ISO up to 12800 or something, but being able to use a lower ISO will always deliver less noise. It's just a wider envelope of possible shooting conditions.
Exactly, I always thought optical stabilization was for alcoholics with a nervous twitch.

I'm shooting in Bangkok today, well the airport area, exclusively with the 77 Ltd, because it gives me that look a bigger camera that grown-ups would use can.

Pentax need full frame. I'm bored of this now, just make the thing already.

02-05-2014, 02:10 PM   #116

I am still chomping at the bit for a FF K-mount body to be introduced. I have rumors and whispers of rumors. I just don't understand why they haven't done anything. I am Loyal Pentax user and I have several thousands of dollars vested in K-mount lenes. I have a K-1000 still but afraid to use it in case I brake it. Why can't they get a digital FF body on the market.
02-05-2014, 04:04 PM   #117

Pentax n'aurait aucun mal à se hisser , pour ne pas dire dépasser les leaders C et N... meilleur autofocus...
Pour quelqu'un qui a inventé le premier reflex japonais à miroir, le pentaprisme fixe, le monture K, le spotmatic, un des premiers reflex à mesure TTL....
Pentax se doit de réagir et de mettre le paquet, pour à son tour, prendre une longueur d'avance.
02-06-2014, 12:55 AM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deserthawk Quote
I am still chomping at the bit for a FF K-mount body to be introduced. I have rumors and whispers of rumors. I just don't understand why they haven't done anything. I am Loyal Pentax user and I have several thousands of dollars vested in K-mount lenes. I have a K-1000 still but afraid to use it in case I brake it. Why can't they get a digital FF body on the market.
If you said "I will spend thousands of dollars on Ricoh/Pentax lenses if they release an FF body" then that would be more of a motivation to Ricoh!
02-06-2014, 02:37 AM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
If you said "I will spend thousands of dollars on Ricoh/Pentax lenses if they release an FF body" then that would be more of a motivation to Ricoh!
Imagine having to promiss to buy non existing products before a manufacturer starts working on it. I think the products for which that is a normal process can be counted on one hand.
02-06-2014, 09:47 AM   #120

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Imagine having to promiss to buy non existing products before a manufacturer starts working on it. I think the products for which that is a normal process can be counted on one hand.
... we should start a kickstarter campaign ;-)