Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
I don't believe Pentax is actually going to make a FF camera anymore.
We'll see..........

11-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by docucap Quote
I thought it was a constructive post. I think it would be more useful to share info on using pentax gear than sharing info on what folks think might of should happen in the future.
I don't think you understand the driving factor behind interactive user forums on the internet in general, and photography forums in particular.

"What I wish for" or "what's lacking in what I have now" drives just as much traffic as "how I use what I have." In other words, this forum would be 1/2 to 1/3 times as active without "what I wish for."

11-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
"What I wish for" or "what's lacking in what I have now" drives just as much traffic as "how I use what I have." In other words, this forum would be 1/2 to 1/3 times as active without "what I wish for."
So if Ricoh releases a FF camera then this site will see a 1/2 reduction in traffic?
11-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
So if Ricoh releases a FF camera then this site will see a 1/2 reduction in traffic?
No, because it won't be perfect

11-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
No, because it won't be perfect
Oh, right, I forgot about that.......
11-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You Could Be Right!

QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
.... and I don't believe Pentax is actually going to make a FF camera anymore.
I believe you're right. Pentax isn't going to release one.
Ricoh is.
And it might be mirrorless also, to boot. Using the (now Ricoh-owned) K-mount, a few newly-developed lenses, maybe 2 zooms and 3 primes. A small-market, hard to categorize, compartmentalize or criticize, niche product. Buying time to develop a real DSLR Full Frame Pentax body, then crossing the FF lenses over from one to the other.
This was suggested on another thread, and the more I think about it, the more sense it makes.
Ricoh/Pentax. A full line of cameras, in all formats. All WR (eventually), HD, DC lenses.
An end run, as opposed to a frontal attack.
It could happen!
Ron
11-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Personally, I wouldn't recommend anyone going to Sony right now for FF unless they like Sony so much they plan to continue to use it after the Pentax FF is announced. We've waited years, what's another 6 months. As much as I'd love to pore through the posts and dig up the sources, I've followed the FF posts and kept up, so I'm in not mood to try and come up with the information for people who haven't. Suffice it to say, it's unlikely the Pentax FF will be later than the end of June 2014. If you read through the threads, there are a hints from multiple sources, statements from retail reps, and purchasers, enough to make a pretty convincing argument.

But I have no problem with the thread. I just don't want folks to give up on Pentax just before the FF arrives.That part I take issue with. Of course if you are shooting K glass in manual mode or M42, then it makes no difference to you, Pentax body or not. If time is of the essence go ahead and jump. Myself, I want the K-3 anyway, whether they release FF or not. And I don't own any quality glass that would take advantage of FF, that isn't auto-focus, so I'm not in any hurry. RIght now I'm thinking the K-3 is probably overkill.
11-17-2013, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #23
osv
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
As much as I'd love to pore through the posts and dig up the sources, I've followed the FF posts and kept up, so I'm in not mood to try and come up with the information for people who haven't. Suffice it to say, it's unlikely the Pentax FF will be later than the end of June 2014. If you read through the threads, there are a hints from multiple sources, statements from retail reps, and purchasers, enough to make a pretty convincing argument.
yeah, well, if it's that definitive, why isn't there a sticky on this forum, with all those links you are referring to.

and why isn't there a sticky on this forum with the official pentax roadmap in it, that includes a full-frame rollout date.

11-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #24
Pentaxian

As I said, if you really cared, you'd be in a position to do that. There's very few people who dedicate their lives to informing the mildly interested, especially those who have the ability to follow the same threads we do, but don't. But if you're really concerned, why don't you do that? Look up ogl's posts, that should get you started. There are also a couple of other references, but I don't remember who posted them, but they might be in the same thread. But there are also published statements from Pentax execs, Ricoh execs, Carlson's retirement note had hints, way to many sources for me to even remember them all. All with the same theme, the coming of a Pentax FF.

I don't know why I'm getting into this. I don't care, it would take a lot to get me to buy an FF even if one came out. It would mean for some reason I couldn't come up with the money for a 645D, for which I already have a couple of lenses. For me, I want the K-3 for wildlife and macro.. and the 645D is a better landscape option. I'm waiting for the fire sale when the new 645D II comes out in a coupe years. But that doesn't mean I don't follow the FF goings on here on the forum.

What I suggest you do is enjoy your Sony A7rs.. it sounds like a nice camera. I don't see why speculation about a Pentax FF is part of that. You like, you buy. What Pentax does or is going to do , should be irrelevant, unless you're trying to spook folks into buying an A7r in a hurry, before the Pentax FF comes out.
11-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #25
Veteran Member

See post #27 in this thread.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/242254-hoya-k3-d-bg5-grip-2.html

This is from the same "asahi man" that I cited earlier. He is absolutely the closest thing we have to a Pentax insider (and may actually be one). Widely trusted on both forums.
11-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #26
osv
Pentaxian

asahi man said: "And we should see the 35mm Pentax in autumn 2014"

two days before that, he said: "Pentax will stay with APS-C,645 and maybe 35mm"

maybe vs. autumn 2014 doesn't engender confidence.

I started buying canon prosumer video cameras in '93 or '94... l1, l2, xl1, xl1s, etc... averaging $3,500 each time.

it was frustrating, because canon kept releasing these tiny upgrades to the new models, sort of similar to what pentax does... and like pentax, canon typically didn't do anything revolutionary, they let other people, like Panasonic, be the first.

now sony, of all companies, has really stepped up to the plate... their platform is far from complete, but it's an open platform of sorts, which minimizes the investment and the risk.

historically, pentax would never take a big step like that... even if a ff pentax shows up, it would probably have the pentax flash and pentax lens mounts on it.

tough call.
11-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by docucap Quote
Pentax indicates through its lens road-map that there will be no FF.
They have stated no FF in words and actions so many times.
I have now preordered an A7R to hang my Pentax glass from.
It would be more useful for pentax folks to have a place to post their knowledge of actual use of pentax FF lenses on any FF camera that pentax glass can be used on. The current pentax FF threads are nothing more than wishful thinking at this point, a place to post stuff on April 1st which is now been declared a national holiday (Pentax FF day).
I now realize I've wasted my time here. Thanks for the illumination.
11-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote

maybe vs. autumn 2014 doesn't engender confidence.

I started buying canon prosumer video cameras in '93 or '94... l1, l2, xl1, xl1s, etc... averaging $3,500 each time.

it was frustrating, because canon kept releasing these tiny upgrades to the new models, sort of similar to what pentax does... and like pentax, canon typically didn't do anything revolutionary, they let other people, like Panasonic, be the first.

now sony, of all companies, has really stepped up to the plate... their platform is far from complete, but it's an open platform of sorts, which minimizes the investment and the risk.

historically, pentax would never take a big step like that... even if a ff pentax shows up, it would probably have the pentax flash and pentax lens mounts on it.

tough call.
Now we're getting somewhere.

QuoteQuote:

So, he got new information, sue him.

QuoteQuote:
it was frustrating, because canon kept releasing these tiny upgrades to the new models, sort of similar to what pentax does..
Going from 16-24 MP and bringing in a 27 point AF system when the old was 11, is a minor upgrade… hmmmm, what am I missing? Does Canon have more than one 24 MP camera even now? Pentax seems to have caught up with them in one fell swoop.

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I now realize I've wasted my time here. Thanks for the illumination.
Hang in there dude.

Also check out this thread…

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/240639-pentax-ricoh...oh-future.html
11-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I know FF is coming, norm. My vote is for October 2014 but I realize other people have said earlier. I hope for earlier but I doubt it.
11-17-2013, 09:16 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Eager to see pictures of SONY FF with PENTAX glass - The sample I saw is less than stellar.
[A7 ??] ?Pentax?????????-???

edit: the 2nd page one are better.
Must be the women....