Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
Banned

Why does this exist?

Pentax indicates through its lens road-map that there will be no FF.
They have stated no FF in words and actions so many times.
I have now preordered an A7R to hang my Pentax glass from.
It would be more useful for pentax folks to have a place to post their knowledge of actual use of pentax FF lenses on any FF camera that pentax glass can be used on. The current pentax FF threads are nothing more than wishful thinking at this point, a place to post stuff on April 1st which is now been declared a national holiday (Pentax FF day).

11-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh have stated that they are, in fact, working on a FF camera. Troll tread much?
11-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well I hope your Sony serves you well. And maybe someday when a K mount FF comes out, you can come back. Good luck
11-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Ricoh have stated that they are, in fact, working on a FF camera. Troll tread much?
I thought it was a constructive post. I think it would be more useful to share info on using pentax gear than sharing info on what folks think might of should happen in the future.

11-17-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Could you post the reference?

They are needed so every FF Pentax thread can have the source.
11-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Well I hope your Sony serves you well. And maybe someday when a K mount FF comes out, you can come back. Good luck
From everything I read it is a ground breaking camera and will serve my FF needs well. I would rather Pentax but they have left the FF game to other producers. As it has been said many times on this forum "you want FF don't let the door hit you in the butt". I did not let the door hit me in the butt. I will continue to use my Pentax lenses. The initial reviews on the A7R indicate the IQ from it is on par with the 645 MF level if not above that so it just makes sense to me to go in that direction.
11-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by docucap Quote
Pentax indicates through its lens road-map that there will be no FF.
They have stated no FF in words and actions so many times.
I have now preordered an A7R to hang my Pentax glass from.
It would be more useful for pentax folks to have a place to post their knowledge of actual use of pentax FF lenses on any FF camera that pentax glass can be used on. The current pentax FF threads are nothing more than wishful thinking at this point, a place to post stuff on April 1st which is now been declared a national holiday (Pentax FF day).
Please, please let me know how you get on with the A7r.

I'm on the brink here.

I have FA Limiteds and f/1.2's ready to rock 'n roll.

11-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Eager to see pictures of SONY FF with PENTAX glass - The sample I saw is less than stellar.
[A7 ??] ?Pentax?????????-???

edit: the 2nd page one are better.
11-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Eager to see pictures of SONY FF with PENTAX glass - The sample I saw is less than stellar.
[A7 ??] ?Pentax?????????-???
Those shots suggest the potential is there in the right hands. More research is needed before laying out over £2000 on an A7r and Novoflex adapter.

I have seen a video of a TechArt AF adapter which attaches a Contax G to an A7/r. Seemed to work very well. Only issue for me is no SR.
11-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #10
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
Please, please let me know how you get on with the A7r.

I'm on the brink here.

I have FA Limiteds and f/1.2's ready to rock 'n roll.
That's the point. Lets have a place to share this info. It will be a data point for Pentax to gauge the extent what their costumer base will go to in order to use a FF. I think the A7R is what Pentax should have developed it is different (a pentax trait) and does not compete directly with Canon and Nikon.
11-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by docucap Quote
That's the point. Lets have a place to share this info. It will be a data point for Pentax to gauge the extent what their costumer base will go to in order to use a FF. I think the A7R is what Pentax should have developed it is different (a pentax trait) and does not compete directly with Canon and Nikon.
I was in Big Camera in Roi-Et only yesterday asking on delivery dates for the A7r. £1400 too (69,990 Baht). Imagine this. A camera where you can use all manner of old glass on various adapters (Contax G, PK etc) and get the correct registry distance for infinity focus . . . all on a full frame.

No need to buy a new body. Just the right adapter!

Last edited by Parry; 11-17-2013 at 01:49 PM.
11-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Yep, in years past if someone jumped brands to get FF we really couldn't say much if they truly needed FF. It's different now, though. To make the jump now when a Pentax FF is very likely in the next 10 months at the latest is just silly. And to make the jump to a camera with the intention of using an adapter to use your Pentax glass is madness. Adapter use is not without downsides, and somewhat compromised IQ is not the least of them.

Is it really that vital to have a FF for the next 10 months that you are willing to go to that expense and, more than likely, frustration and disappointment?
11-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
I was in Big Camera in Roi-Et only yesterday asking on delivery dates for the A7r. £1400 too (69,990 Baht). Imagine this. A camera where you can use all manner of old glass on various adapters (Contax G, PK etc) and get the correct registry distance for infinity focus . . . all on a full frame.

No need to buy a new body. Just a the right adapter!
For PENTAX glass
1. lost AF (depends on user);
2. lost aperture control with lens without aperture ring.

I just wonder, why camera company can't work together to create adapter that allow aperture control and AF across different brands for mirrorless camera? That would be a revolutionary for the industry and a way to boost DSLR sale.

OK, they are all greedy wanting to monopoly within their brand and mount.
11-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
For PENTAX glass
1. lost AF (depends on user);
2. lost aperture control with lens without aperture ring.

I just wonder, why camera company can't work together to create adapter that allow aperture control and AF across different brands for mirrorless camera? That would be a revolutionary for the industry and a way to boost DSLR sale.

OK, they are all greedy wanting to monopoly within their brand and mount.
Metabones and TechArt to begin with.

This is (could be) revolutionary.

I spent tonight doing all manual focus and manual aperture with FA Limiteds and the PK 50/f.1.2 on the K-5 IIs. The 31 and 77 and 50/f1.2 are pretty much the only lenses out of the dozen or so I have that I use anymore. The only lenses I'm now after are the A* 85mm f/1.4 and A* 135mm f/1.8, both MF only and both full frame.

Loi Krathong - a set on Flickr

If this A7r combo works, it'll certainly work for me.
11-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Yep, in years past if someone jumped brands to get FF we really couldn't say much if they truly needed FF. It's different now, though. To make the jump now when a Pentax FF is very likely in the next 10 months at the latest is just silly. And to make the jump to a camera with the intention of using an adapter to use your Pentax glass is madness. Adapter use is not without downsides, and somewhat compromised IQ is not the least of them.

Is it really that vital to have a FF for the next 10 months that you are willing to go to that expense and, more than likely, frustration and disappointment?
I couldn't see any downsides with those adapters (TechArt AF and Novoflex MF) and I don't believe Pentax is actually going to make a FF camera anymore.