Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
You're comparing apples & oranges, but yes their lens prices are too much. And don't have OS anyway cause they don't need them...
When I want to eat a snack, I have to decide - an apple or an orange?

A Nikon + 85mm F/1.8 or a Pentax + 77mm F/1.8?

Of course they aren't exactly the same, the world would be poorer if they were. But it appears that Florida has raised the prices of oranges. As such the world will eat more apples.

12-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, it would be great if it was a "beyond 1:1" macro, MP-E 65 style...
12-24-2013, 06:06 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Patent for Full Frame 60mm F2.8 Macro

In-lens SR can be optimized for the application. It has its advantages.
01-09-2014, 08:42 PM   #19

I'd just like to pick up on another significant implication of the lens patent which I don't think has been mentioned yet, and does not directly relate to FF, OS or macro. It's the focal length itself. 14, 15, 17, 18, 20, 21, 24, 28, 35, 40, 43, 50, 55, 70, 77, 85, 100, 105, 120, 135, 150 (and so-on). These are the focal lengths for which Pentax have made prime lenses for K mount in the lower range. The most significant gap in focal length coverage is between 55 and 70mm (1.27x). Indeed, up until 1999, the gap stretched from 55-85mm (1.54x), and if it hadn't been for the K series 55mm, the gap would have been from 50-85mm through this period - a huge 1.7x gap. And yet the closely spaced 24-28-35 trio have co-existed for many years.

It has always baffled me why this should be. Why such a dearth in primes in a focal-length range just above the accepted 'normal' (on 35mm) FL? I personally find myself needing these focal lengths a lot in my work (landscape mainly), on both 35mm and APS-C, but have always had to 'fill-in' with zooms giving less than optimal image quality. Even most of the high quality zooms (ie not superzooms) available fail to cover this range in its entirity, ending or starting at 55, 60, 70 or 80mm (the 50-135 being one exception), which forces you to carry two largeish lenses just to cover the range. Am I the only one who needs quality images in these focal lengths? Was the reason technical or market-driven I wonder, or perhaps just adherence to accepted precedents?

Sorry guys, I know this is a bit off-topic and I should re-post in the lens forums, but it's the first time I have ever seen the 60mm focal length discussed and I was moved to bring it up. My point is that quite apart from the full frame implications of the 60mm lens patent, I think a prime or two in this FL range is much needed. Personally I'd prefer a small limited prime than a macro, and 63mm to bridge between my 50 and adapted 80mm primes, but anything would be better than nothing. It's particularly annoying that the Tamron 60mm macro is available for all major brands except the brand that doesn't make one themselves! Are we cursed?!

To come back to the FF discussion, I certainly hope that this 60mm patent is an omen for a forthcoming FF camera - as well as an omen for a forthcoming 60mm lens!

01-10-2014, 03:15 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I don't see a 60mm on the market soon UNLESS it's a macro to replace the aging 50mm DFA.

Pentax doesn't have a non-macro prime on the market between 77mm and 200mm. They don't have any fast primes below 31mm. I just don't see a gap between 55mm and 70mm as being one they'd target.
01-10-2014, 06:00 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
1)Pentax doesn't have a non-macro prime on the market between 77mm and 200mm.

2)They don't have any fast primes below 31mm.
Answer:

1) Because percentage of holiday snapshooters needing it is negligible

2) Because holiday snapshooters don't need it.

01-10-2014, 06:14 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Interesting... and if they go with the SR in the lens rather than the body for the FF cameras, is a decent marketing strategy too.
This way when FF do comes out, people will start buying the new lenses rather then keep on using the old ones - for the SR sake. It will be one of the things that will separate FF and APS-C line cameras.

Anyway, interesting rumor, that's for sure...
01-10-2014, 12:13 PM   #23
Pentaxian

One could make an argument that shake reduction is overrated anyway.

when on tripod with 2 sec MUP, SR is Off
when on tripod for portrait work, SR is Off
when shooting wildlife with TC, SR is Off
when shooting FL 300mm or longer, SR is off

SR has almost no use in my photo life.

Unless you shoot weddings or pets or snapshots of kids, SR is moot.

Not many are going to buy FF for snapshots of pets or kids, so maybe Ricoh is thinking save the expense of SR for FF and pass it on to buyers.
If people want SR for their FF, here's a lineup of lenses you can purchase
Just like the AA filter options of the K5ii/s, I'd gladly save 2-300? on a non-SR FF body.

01-10-2014, 02:02 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is just another plot that PENTAX wants us to believe the FF unicorn is coming.

01-10-2014, 06:30 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
One could make an argument that shake reduction is overrated anyway.

when on tripod with 2 sec MUP, SR is Off
when on tripod for portrait work, SR is Off
when shooting wildlife with TC, SR is Off
when shooting FL 300mm or longer, SR is off

SR has almost no use in my photo life.

Not many are going to buy FF for snapshots of pets or kids, so maybe Ricoh is thinking save the expense of SR for FF and pass it on to buyers.
If people want SR for their FF, here's a lineup of lenses you can purchase
Just like the AA filter options of the K5ii/s, I'd gladly save 2-300? on a non-SR FF body.
And that's the exact reason why would Pentax launch a FF at all? Nobody would buy a FF just to shoot their pets and kids..
01-10-2014, 07:04 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
Please. I have SR on most of the time, and while I do take a snapshot of my dogs now and again, I don't shoot weddings or kids or people at all really. And even if SR had no other use besides weddings (which is obviously grossly untrue), if it allowed Pentax to grab some of that huge market (the majority of pro photographers are wedding photographers, or at least do weddings) then it would be worth it to include the feature just for that...