Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #1

So what's this Pentax FF/LX-D gonna be?

Well thanks to you guys in this thread I'm now a little curious as to what FF Pentax may ever decide to roll out. :\

I hope I'm not out of line posting this. I get the sense this is a little bit of a sensitive topic.

So I have this idea now but I can't get very far thinking about it myself. (I'm still kinda new to all the Pentax DSLR stuff there is to know)

Any of you guys who want a FF so bad willing to put down your thoughts about how it will be spec'd? Wishes for what it will feature?

What it might look like? Cost? How pretty do you want it to be?

Is the LX-D name a sure thing? What other names are possible? Suggestions?

Do your worst... What's the worst thing that can happen?

11-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Iksobarg Quote
Is the LX-D name a sure thing?
No, it's a fantasy of our members.

Let's wait for Pentax to release a consumer-friendly FF before treading in these waters Something like the D610 would be good to start out with.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-21-2013, 01:45 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

What's the worst thing that can happen?
Two words: Marc Newson.
11-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Two words: Marc Newson
+1 big time, don't let him get involved again!

11-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I don't know you guys, A K-02 FF with the ability to put an iPad on the back like view screen would be just fine with me. That flat front for tilt shift, way better than the overhang for the flash on a K-5 series which severe cripples upwards tilt and shift. All I'm thinking my FF for would be landscape, only. Marc's design is all I need.
11-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

So what's this Pentax FF/LX-D gonna be
I'm beginning to think it could be a mythical unicorn.
11-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
No, it's a fantasy of our members.

Let's wait for Pentax to release a consumer-friendly FF before treading in these waters Something like the D610 would be good to start out with.
Well I think Adam knows something directly from Pentax)

First of all I would really like Pro body-something like a K3 in crop sensor world.
AF would have to be at least competitive if not class leading. By that I mean precise focus points and spot on metering when exposure metering is linked to af points. Focus points would have to be small and there would have to be lots of them. Cross point off course. Super sonic speed is not that important for my kind of photography...
Ttl neads to be redesigned so it can be competitive. In body sr would be nice but recent patents don't give me much hope
Dual card slot,mic input,hdmi output,control layout of K3,weather resistant,implemented grip would be a good selling point especialy if price range would be somewhere around Nikon 610. When you come in new teritory you have to give bit more than established brands in FF world..
Silent shutter is something I really love about my K5 so that would be nice...great for churches and intimate events... In body wi-fi,this card thing in K3 is interesting but with today technology it's too much hasle..
Thethering-a real one
Since Pentax is obviously developing new lenses it's great time to (finaly) develop modern AF system...
IQ naturaly would have to be top quality. Along with FF body I would like couple of pro level zoom lenses.
24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 with great reolution and close up ability...
Large buffer and fast write speed...
11-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think the trend has been established by Sony (A7/A7r) and Nikon (D600/D800) to put out two FF's - a low level 24MP and a high level 36MP (all using Sony sensors), with a few quirky FF outliers (like the Sony RX1 and the Nikon Df).

Pentax will probably do the same, and it wouldn't be a bad thing. A budget FF, a high-end FF, and a retro LX style FF. With a new or updated family of say 5 lenses to start.

11-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #9

Well thanks to you guys in this thread I'm now a little curious as to what FF Pentax may ever decide to roll out. :\I hope I'm not out of line posting this. I get the sense this is a little bit of a sensitive topic.
I don't think FF talk is sensitive. People are bored with lots of rumors but nothing comes out. All are mere speculation. Having said that, it's a good time now to talk about FF because Pentax wouldn't launch anything toward year-end. People need some topics to discuss.

QuoteQuote:
What it might look like? Cost? How pretty do you want it to be? What's the worst thing that can happen?
I have no idea whatsoever. For me, the combination of 36mp and 24mp FF is boring after Nikon and Sony. Price range has also been explored by predecessors. I'm wondering how much room Pentax has for a new FF. Cheaper 1DX or D4 would be tempting. I remember somebody talked about the new mount Pentax A. That would be nice, too. I'm sure Pentax needs much more imagination and creativity to be sustainable in the current head-to-head market. Sony is going to struggle in spite of lots of eye-catching products they've started, IMO.

The worst thing? Well, you'd have two words: only rumors.
11-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #10
Pentaxian

It's not so much of a fantasy as a wish-list. It is fictional, because, as far as we know, there's no plan to develop such a beast. If there was, there'd be lots of interest in it here, but probably precious few buyers.

In short, it would be a professional-level camera: robust, foolproof, compact, interchangeable viewfinder system, class-leading.

And also, we should be careful bandying Marc Newson's name around in such a cavalier fashion. While not every professional photographer is deeply into the creative side of the business, Newson's reputation us pretty good with people who are. Mind you, I'd be a little coy about involving Philipe Starck in serious camera design, but whatever he'd come up with would be fun!
11-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
And also, we should be careful bandying Marc Newson's name around in such a cavalier fashion. While not every professional photographer is deeply into the creative side of the business, Newson's reputation us pretty good with people who are. Mind you, I'd be a little coy about involving Philipe Starck in serious camera design, but whatever he'd come up with would be fun!
Would it help if I said I own more than one K-01, and dearly love the little brick?

However, given the severe mental anguish it would cause for some of our members, the debates, the arguments, the character attacks, the blood-feuds, the wholesale BorisCleto™ing, and the probable impact to sales, an "unconventional" design probably would be one of the worst things that could happen for a first Pentax FF.
11-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Something like the D610 would be good to start out with.
Shhhhhhhh... What, are you secretly working for Nikon now, Adam? Steering people toward the dark side?

11-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
Shhhhhhhh... What, are you secretly working for Nikon now, Adam? Steering people toward the dark side?

If they could put a K-mount on one of their cameras, I definitely wouldn't mind!

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-21-2013, 10:49 PM   #14

Something like the D610 would be good to start out with.
Don't think I like this idea. Would rather something like the D700 successor that never came.

I'm not sure Ricoh-Pentax would benefit from entering the 135 market with a cripplecam. If they do indeed jump into this market, they'll have to show people they're serious. This was Fujifilm's strategy. Although the X-Trans sensor and accompanying technology weren't quite mature when they announced the X-Pro1, they made one hell of an impact by diving straight in at the deep end.

Another major factor was their initial lineup of lenses. Remember, the X mount was launched with three magnificent primes:
  • Fujinon XF 18mm f/2.0 R
  • Fujinon XF 35mm f/1.4 R
  • Fujinon XF 60mm f/2.4 R Macro

Only then came the kit zoom—a whole stop faster than the equivalent offerings from the competition:
  • Fujinon XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 R LM OIS

X Mount Lens Roadmap | Fujifilm Global

A product line's future lies in its perception by the market. People won't invest in a company that is perceived to be pissing around. I'm not sure if a Pentax 135 is coming, but if it is, it needs to be a flagship with knockout credentials, and with new lenses to match.

How about a trio of WR DFA Limiteds with leaf shutters?
11-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam G Quote
Don't think I like this idea. Would rather something like the D700 successor that never came.

I'm not sure Ricoh-Pentax would benefit from entering the 135 market with a cripplecam. If they do indeed jump into this market, they'll have to show people they're serious. This was Fujifilm's strategy. Although the X-Trans sensor and accompanying technology weren't quite mature when they announced the X-Pro1, they made one hell of an impact by diving straight in at the deep end.

Another major factor was their initial lineup of lenses. Remember, the X mount was launched with three magnificent primes:
  • Fujinon XF 18mm f/2.0 R
  • Fujinon XF 35mm f/1.4 R
  • Fujinon XF 60mm f/2.4 R Macro

Only then came the kit zoom—a whole stop faster than the equivalent offerings from the competition:
  • Fujinon XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 R LM OIS

X Mount Lens Roadmap | Fujifilm Global

A product line's future lies in its perception by the market. People won't invest in a company that is perceived to be pissing around. I'm not sure if a Pentax 135 is coming, but if it is, it needs to be a flagship with knockout credentials, and with new lenses to match.

How about a trio of WR DFA Limiteds with leaf shutters?
There are already hundreds of threads on the subject, but I think this is still a worthwhile discussion. As nice as a "de-crippled" body would be, I think the best place for Pentax to enter the FF market would be with good value at an affordable price point. A $1600 or $1800 full frame would still sell very well IMO. That would allow Pentax to target first-time full-frame buyers as potential customers and retaining a reasonable upgrade path for K-3 users. The D600 and 6D have done very well since they were launched, but both cameras make plenty of compromises compared to higher-end models. If Pentax could narrow that gap in their offering I think they'd do very well. They had better act quickly, though, as soon enough every serious camera will be using a big sensor!

If they entered with a niche product (similar to the Nikon Df let's say), sales would probably be very low. On the other hand, entering with a pro product would require pro lenses and accessories: something that other companies have been doing successfully for years, and something that can't realistically be done overnight.

Adam