Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2014, 11:58 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I would retract that statement myself unless you're going to post some example images. Unless you're talking about huge number of pixels on a very small sensor where the lens is out resolved by the sensor. On APS-c and FF sensors lenses are a long way from being out-resolved by sensor density, and the statement is completely false. Comparing APS-c and FF , every increase in sensor density has led to an increase in resolution, and every increase in resolution has lead to an increase in apparent sharpness, maybe not the pixel level. But if you take a D800 image and reduce it to K-3 size or D600 size, it will appear to be sharper. I know I argued with Jay on this point, did my test myself, and discovered Jay was right. You have to reduce a D800 image and K-5 image to less than 3800 pixels wide before they start to look similar. If you take a K-3 image and reduce it to K-5 size, it will still appear to be sharper. Many of us have done tests on images to see how this works.... so given that you could be talking about a very small sensor with very high pixel density, you might be right.. the statement is at best very misleading. Especially discussing APS-c and FF, where a D600 image is only marginally better than a D7100 or K-3 image if you aren't talking about control of DoF or noise. Talking APS-c and FF I think we can definitely say MP is the most important factor in the ability to create apparent sharpness.
Didnt know that before, thanks for sharing that norm.