Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2014, 04:37 PM   #76
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Sure. 12 megapixels is neither here nor there. I understand the point of full frame -- mostly better dynamic range at given iso and less noise at high iso. I don't do a bunch of high iso photography. What I do is primarily photos of my kids and for web sizes, either the K5 or K3 is adequate. If you are planning to print a photo of that seed drill, you might very well be able to print it a size or two larger than I could with my my APS-C camera. That's fine. It just isn't what I do. In addition, I would say that for stationary objects like your seed drill, I would think a K5/FA 31 would be up to the challenge, considering that you get a stop or two with SR.

In the end, it is more about glass than anything else. Camera bodies are all so good these days that you can take good photos with any of them -- particularly at web sizes.

Iso 1600 on K5 II.

Enjoyful photo... Thanks for sharing!

02-15-2014, 09:23 PM   #77
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sure. 12 megapixels is neither here nor there. I understand the point of full frame -- mostly better dynamic range at given iso and less noise at high iso. I don't do a bunch of high iso photography. What I do is primarily photos of my kids and for web sizes, either the K5 or K3 is adequate. If you are planning to print a photo of that seed drill, you might very well be able to print it a size or two larger than I could with my my APS-C camera. That's fine. It just isn't what I do. In addition, I would say that for stationary objects like your seed drill, I would think a K5/FA 31 would be up to the challenge, considering that you get a stop or two with SR.

In the end, it is more about glass than anything else. Camera bodies are all so good these days that you can take good photos with any of them -- particularly at web sizes.

Iso 1600 on K5 II.

Hi nice shot,how did you get so little noise? I am doing alot of birding with DA*300,and at 1600+ I get way too much noise,use ACR
Cheers S
02-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Iso 1600 on K5 II.

My blog at www.inkplusimages.com
02-16-2014, 12:17 PM   #79
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Hi nice shot,how did you get so little noise? I am doing alot of birding with DA*300,and at 1600+ I get way too much noise,use ACR
Cheers S
The big thing is to get the right exposure. If you under expose then noise starts to come out. Don't sharpen the background at all either and only gently sharpen the bird. Cropping also tends to emphasize noise.

02-22-2014, 04:52 PM   #80

QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
I'm not the most active member here. A lot of that has to do with me selling my K5 earlier this year and getting a D800.

Allow me to preface this with saying that the D800 is a terrific camera and well, well beyond my pathetic skill levels.

But.... I wish I hadn't.

Probably because the D800 is so far beyond my abilities and as a hobbyist I just dont have the time to put into bringing my skills up to even close. I love my photography, but thats life I guess.
But the nutshell version is that I just haven't bonded with the Nikon as I had with my K5. Where the K5 urged me to pick it up and play with it, use it, and basically not leave it alone. I just dont get that from the Nikon.
So what I'm saying is that if you're champing at the bit to go FF; my *personal* experience tells me - dont. Sure, if you've got the time and patience to invest into a whole new system and replace all your kit, then awesome. But I've just found it to be soooo much more than a) I need, and b) I can use.
So (for as long as I've been a member here) Pentaxians have been going on (and on, and on, and on) about a FF camera, I would hazard a guess that for a fair chunk of people "it's just not necessary" <- to be read with James May in your head.

If I was to do it again and with a good dose of hind sight - I wouldn't have done it. I would have hung onto my gorgeous K5 and would now be looking at the K3 for Xmas.
In fact I will give the D800 the summer, and if I still feel the same - it will go and a K5/ii or a K3 will come and I'll rebuilding my beloved Pentax lens collection again (starting with my fave, the Sigma 20-40mm 2.8)
I just joined the Pentax club four weeks ago after a nine month research adventure. I selected the K5iis over the Canon 70d and the Nikon D7100. So far so good. This thing is so easy to learn and the layout of the buttons and controls are well placed. I am spending hours getting to know the camera and I don't find it a chore one bit. Between the well layout manual and this forum it's hard to go wrong. I find my self looking forward to the weekends taking pics.

It's funny how I graded the Canon high on my want list due to the touch swivel screen. I spent some time with the Canon, but I really like the Pentax on how the dedicated buttons and dials eliminate the need for fingerprinted screen. All I can say is this camera is "fun" to learn and use. The real plus is the color rendition and great detail pictures. Real hard not to bond to a Pentax.
03-04-2014, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #81

I have been through the whole process recently of looking at whether FF was necessary. I looked at several wedding photographers I admire, whom I knew shot with the 5D. I think the FF ability to isolate DOF is great, but not something I can't overcome with fast glass. I have the 50-135 and a Sigma 17-50 both at f2.8, which seems as fast as necessary, but a stray 50mm f1.4 Sigma came my way if I need better. I use the K5IIs and it can focus and shoot at a black hole in a dark universe....darn it's good, but rarely would i need it. There is such a closing up of abilities with sensors now that unless your shooting BIG prints, then there's little to be gained from FF.
What really matters is my abilities, getting a nice composition, sharp image etc. I think as many people who are so keen to go FF from APS-C, such people are keen to go DSLR from compact or smart phone, thinking they'll get better images straight away, but on your average smartphone or tablet or laptop screen or even a 16x20 print you'll be hard pressed to tell much difference, let alone any prospective client or a friend. ( my Nokia 1020 is insanely good for a smartphone!!)
I suspect that FF will become a more standard and much cheaper alternative soon, once Pentax gets in on the act along with the rest, but at the moment it's me who needs to vastly improve and I know the recent crop of Pentax DSLR's are more than adequate with good glass to WOW anyone, even a magazine once the image is right. I have shot two weddings recently in the background for an alternative viewpoint and frankly, the professionals using FF produced several very average results.
What really matters is taking what you've got, getting out there, taking photos and pushing your abilities to improve your craft, but hey, this is a Brand forum full of camera Lover's........and if you've got the money, go ahead, knock yourself out

Last edited by Robbod; 03-04-2014 at 01:20 PM.
03-06-2014, 02:42 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
I'm not the most active member here. A lot of that has to do with me selling my K5 earlier this year and getting a D800.

Allow me to preface this with saying that the D800 is a terrific camera and well, well beyond my pathetic skill levels.

But.... I wish I hadn't.

Probably because the D800 is so far beyond my abilities and as a hobbyist I just dont have the time to put into bringing my skills up to even close. I love my photography, but thats life I guess.
But the nutshell version is that I just haven't bonded with the Nikon as I had with my K5. Where the K5 urged me to pick it up and play with it, use it, and basically not leave it alone. I just dont get that from the Nikon.
So what I'm saying is that if you're champing at the bit to go FF; my *personal* experience tells me - dont. Sure, if you've got the time and patience to invest into a whole new system and replace all your kit, then awesome. But I've just found it to be soooo much more than a) I need, and b) I can use.
So (for as long as I've been a member here) Pentaxians have been going on (and on, and on, and on) about a FF camera, I would hazard a guess that for a fair chunk of people "it's just not necessary" <- to be read with James May in your head.

If I was to do it again and with a good dose of hind sight - I wouldn't have done it. I would have hung onto my gorgeous K5 and would now be looking at the K3 for Xmas.
In fact I will give the D800 the summer, and if I still feel the same - it will go and a K5/ii or a K3 will come and I'll rebuilding my beloved Pentax lens collection again (starting with my fave, the Sigma 20-40mm 2.8)
I did the same thing OP. Bought a D800, 24-70, 70-200 (all with employee discounts) for my pro work, but I still brought my K5 to my Vegas trip. Nikon bodies feel like tractors in your hands. Very heavy. Kickass AF though. So, soooooooo good. It never misses!

The good news is that the D800 is so capable you have a lot of room to grow as a photog, which is fantastic

Have fun with the new toys, whether it is the D800 or if you sell it for a K5. If you do sell it I might be interested in picking it up as a backup.

Last edited by FrancisK7; 03-06-2014 at 02:48 PM.