Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supportaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by davids8560 Quote
Now that is some *awesome* if *humbling* information. Thanks for sharing these links! I read both! Hey, those guys were on to Internet confusion intention misinterpretation theories and stuff, all the way back in the 70's, huh!

But you know, it doesn't account for the successful conveyance of humor throughout literature, long before the CRT and LCD! Certainly people reasoned that Thurber or Twain were kidding around within a few paragraphs, no? And without smileys!

But of course I am not Thurber or Twain. Not hardly!

Happy New Year!
If you liked that, you'll probably like this too:
The Medium Is the Massage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In a nutshell, the nature of communication is shaped (and limited) by the vehicle of communication.

And if we are to come full circle to photography, it is the nature of the way photography can communicate and inform that many (maybe most) of us here on forum find so interesting.

12-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbondo Quote
If you liked that, you'll probably like this too:
The Medium Is the Massage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In a nutshell, the nature of communication is shaped (and limited) by the vehicle of communication.

And if we are to come full circle to photography, it is the nature of the way photography can communicate and inform that many (maybe most) of us here on forum find so interesting.

It is a subject that does indeed interest me. I think for the most part people respond to the information in a photo, the subject. They are blind to any nuances of technique. And they respond to creative shots because of simple, obvious factors, like strong colors, it seems. Lots of pop. When I ask them to describe in more detail what they like when I see them respond positively to a photo, without any background info or prompting from me, they often seem to struggle to describe why.

So like, this guy is saying a hundred years ago for example, someone sitting on a porch swing in Vermont wouldn't know or could just go on without ever knowing that there was a devastating tsunami in the south pacific or a terrible earthquake in Haiti, etc, etc? But he might know that the neighbor's wagon wheel got busted... Or something like that? No such thing as a global village back then...

Very interesting.

Like, I'm into trains. I like railroads and stuff, and I post a lot of my photos in rail enthusiast web sites.When a rail buff sees what is essentially a crappy photo of a rare locomotive, they usually don't care about the image quality or whatever went into getting the photo. The rarity or uniqueness of the subject is what they respond to. It really seems to have nothing to do with photography.

I think it is the same for ads and billboards and such. Just about any photo. Newspapers, etc. Few consider what it took to make a model look a certain way, or how a journalist was able to get a certain shot of some incident, etc. and the tools they used. They just respond to the message communicated. "Oh! There was an explosion in the Mideast! That's bad!" And then they just mentally move on. For the most part, I believe. And so their perception is limited to what they saw in the image. Like, when somebody looks at a photo of Yosemite Valley by Ansel Adams, are they impressed by the wondrous scenery they see, or the actual quality of the photograph?

I could go on...

I very much like this statement from your link.... I can't believe the idea is from 1967? Talk about foresight!

"The Medium is the Massage demonstrates how modern media are extensions of human senses; they ground us in physicality, but expand our ability to perceive our world to an extent that would be impossible without the media. These extensions of perception contribute to McLuhan’s theory of the Global Village, which would bring humanity full circle to an industrial analogue of tribal mentality."

Last edited by DavidSKAF3; 12-27-2013 at 02:46 PM.
12-27-2013, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It is a subject that does indeed interest me. I think for the most part people respond to the information in a photo, the subject. They are blind to any nuances of technique. And they respond to creative shots simply because of simple, obvious factors, like strong colors, it seems. Lots of pop. When I ask them to describe in more detail what they like when I see them naturally respond positively to a photo, without any background info or prompting from me, they often apparently cannot say why.

So like, this guy is saying a hundred years ago for example, someone sitting on a porch swing in Vermont wouldn't know or could just go on without ever knowing that there was a devastating tsunami in the south pacific or a terrible earthquake in Haiti, etc, etc? But he might know that the neighbor's wagon wheel got busted... Or something like that? No such thing as a global village back then...

Very interesting.

Like, I'm into trains. I like railroads and stuff, and I post a lot of my photos in rail enthusiast web sites.When a rail buff sees what is essentially a crappy photo of a rare locomotive, they usually don't care about the image quality or whatever went into getting the photo. The rarity or uniqueness of the subject is what they respond to. It really seems to have nothing to do with photography.

I think it is the same for ads and billboards and such. Just about any photo. Newspapers, etc. Few consider what it took to make a model look a certain way, or how a journalist was able to get a certain shot of some incident, etc. and the tools they used. They just respond to the message communicated. "Oh! There was an explosion in the Mideast! That's bad!" And then they just mentally move on. For the most part, I believe. And so their perception is limited to what they saw in the image. Like, when somebody looks at a photo of Yosemite Valley by ASnsel Adams, are they impressed by the wondrous scenery they see, or the actual quality of the photograph?

I could go on...

I very much like this statement from your link.... I can't believe the idea is from 1967? Talk about foresight!

"The Medium is the Massage demonstrates how modern media are extensions of human senses; they ground us in physicality, but expand our ability to perceive our world to an extent that would be impossible without the media. These extensions of perception contribute to McLuhan’s theory of the Global Village, which would bring humanity full circle to an industrial analogue of tribal mentality."
Are you being humorous or seriousilly? Very well written indeed.
12-28-2013, 11:33 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I received a curious letter from Ricoh Pentax this afternoon. It says I have been randomly selected as an innocent newbie, in so many words, to receive, free of charge, some sort of a new prototype Pentax DSLR that is close to being released, just as soon as a few last kinks are resolved or something. It says they chose me because I'm not a pithy, jaded, irreverent zealot or something. They just want a decent, honest regular guy with a general interest in photography whose learning curve will be representative of the general public. Then it goes on to say that they got my identity and particulars when I registered my new K-5 a couple of weeks ago.

So! This new experimental camera hasn't come yet, but I'm hoping it will turn out to be fun and interesting when it arrives! The letter says this model is truly a first for Pentax, because it has a some sort of big, new image sensor. But I dunno. Sensor, schmensor! I mean, what do I know? Up until only very recently I've always been a PowerShot superzoom kinda guy!

Anyway, I'm supposed to just go ahead use it like any other camera, along with some "HD" lenses they're also going to be including, and then take notes and forward my impressions of the camera each week to some non-descript mailbox in Fukuoka or Hokkaido, Japan, somewheres.The address they gave me has the word "Chome" in it. That's all I really know. Maybe "Chome" is a Japanese zip code or something? Anyway. You guys should see the stamp on the envelope they provided for my first report! It's got an upside-down bi-plane on it, and it looks like it was autographed by Elvis! This is the most exciting thing that's happened to me since that night I saw those bright lights coming at me from the sky when I was camping near Roswell!

But the letter stressed that I am "please to kindly not to discuss this trial" with anyone, especially any current Pentax users. You guys got any clue what this might be about?

My contact is "Mr. Takahashi".
Nice

Perhaps you should read a true story, however (link).

12-29-2013, 04:05 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

But the letter stressed that I am "please to kindly not to discuss this trial" with anyone, especially any current Pentax users. You guys got any clue what this might be about? [/I]

My contact is "Mr. Takahashi".
O boy, if they read this you won't get any mail.....
Closed Thread