Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2014, 01:15 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Mmm...I think this thread will become a favorite, nice work pinholecam. I know the 77 is itching for use.
Thanks.
77ltd is coming up, but I already see issues with this lens.....

QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
Do you happen to have a Helios 44 series lens (Its the 40-2's little brother) ? I am dying to see how it performs on a full frame (with respect to the swirly bokeh).
Hmm... I just happen to have bought one....
But I'm not sure how it will be in the lens trying out queue.

QuoteOriginally posted by eyeswideshut Quote
grrrrr Pinholecam you must stop this immediately!
You already got me into this entire Pentax Q mess with your unbiased, down to earth reportage and now you're at it again, fanning the embers of lba and gas. STOP this madness
My reviews are everything but unbiased.
The Q is the ultimate small compact, super macro and street photography camera to me, really hard to beat once one puts away all preconcieved notions of sensor size = better photos.

|Hold on to those legacy lenses.
In reality, its these small and good Pentax lenses that make a camera like the A7 'work'

QuoteOriginally posted by bass3587 Quote
What kind of plant is #4. Looks creepy.
Its a fern (big one).
Yeah, it reminded me of some creepy alien pod thing too...

01-14-2014, 05:34 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Added f2.8 and f5.6 shots for the K24/2.8
01-14-2014, 02:46 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Thanks.
77ltd is coming up, but I already see issues with this lens.....
By issue, you must mean the immediate need it will impose on the community to buy a Sony FF
01-14-2014, 04:04 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Original Poster
FA77 Limited

There are some serious issues with this lens.....

I don't run thru all my lenses at once, shooting stuff in the house, which is too small and will run out of things to photograph anyway.
So each time I put up a post here for the lens, its the first time I'm using it on FF.
I am equally prepared to be awed and disappointed upon that first press of the 'review' button to check the lens o/p on the camera once the first few shots are taken.

As can be seen, there are several problems with this lens.

One, it is so darn good at f1.8 to f2 that all I've shot over the week has been at these settings.
So, YES, all the above are at f1.8 to f2
Sorry, I forgot which is which, since there is no EXIF data input on-camera.

Two, the image just 'poped' in my EVF.
That was even before I took the picture.
So my hopes were really raised.

Three, its so damn sharp! at f1.8 and f2
I could not believe it when I pressed that 'review+magnify' button.
Literally, my jaw dropped and I said 'OMG!'

Four, the CA is gone??
I half expected CA in the sunny conditions, but No...
24mp FF has been far more kind with its lower pixel density (there is sanity here with 24mp FF over a chest thumping 36mp)

Check out the full sized samples yourselves.
See to believe!
I have not done any more post processing over the RAW conversion, so it can be even better.

We all know that the 77ltd is the long end of the limited series, and each person who has the series, will tend to like one more than the others (some like them all).
On aps-c, the 77ltd served as a rather long 115mm, in terms of framing and working distance.
But for me, its even better now.
A more personal working distance like what used to be served by a 50mm on aps-c.
The wider FOV for the same working distance gives a bigger spatial relation to the subject, accentuated by it being low in DOF and high in contrast and sharpness at the POF.
Incredible lens.
I am awed...

To me, this lens is quintessentially Pentax.
So small, and all metal fine construction, with superb output (such a fine balance)
Stay with Pentax, for lenses such as this one.

Last edited by pinholecam; 01-14-2014 at 04:28 PM.
01-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #35

Wow, they do look good. I've been playing with my FA43 on the A7 and it just hasn't really grabbed me. The lack of damping on the focus ring is a bit annoying too. How do you find it?
01-14-2014, 06:56 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by camerons Quote
Wow, they do look good. I've been playing with my FA43 on the A7 and it just hasn't really grabbed me. The lack of damping on the focus ring is a bit annoying too. How do you find it?
FYI, I had a 43 for a while, the 77's focusing ring is damped much nicer (though still no takumar).
01-14-2014, 07:04 PM   #37
Pentaxian

FA77 Limited
Those issues are severe to be sure. Fun captures that show off the more personal perspective of the new old FA77. Quintessential Pentax indeed, my favorite they make! Cheers for taking the time to share.
01-14-2014, 07:16 PM   #38

FYI, I had a 43 for a while, the 77's focusing ring is damped much nicer (though still no takumar).
That's very interesting and a bit wierd.

01-14-2014, 10:40 PM   #39
Site Supporter

Original Poster
By issue, you must mean the immediate need it will impose on the community to buy a Sony FF
Those issues are severe to be sure. Fun captures that show off the more personal perspective of the new old FA77. Quintessential Pentax indeed, my favorite they make! Cheers for taking the time to share.
Ha..ha....
You certainly got that right.

Thanks for the support too.

QuoteOriginally posted by camerons Quote

Yes, FA31ltd and FA77ltd o/p has been really good to me.
All the AF lenses will not have damping for MF.
I see it as a pro and con.
Its smooth to focus (imo) but yes, sometimes its too easy to shift out of the focus position.
I generally have not run into issues with the latter.
It will differ because of how each person holds/uses the lens and focus ring.

The 43ltd seems more suited for nearer stuff if one wants shallow DOF 'look'.
On FF, it seems to have taken a different role compared to aps-c (much more so than 77ltd, which remains as a sort of short tele role)
Sort of like a wide, sort of like a 50mm but is neither.
On aps-c, it was like a 'longish normal', worked well for more 'shy' street shots over a 28mm or 35mm on aps-c.
I'll talk about it more when I gather the shots for this lens. (which I have, but mixed up with the 24mm shots, so need to pull back on my memory on which is which)
01-16-2014, 04:01 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
77 is my most favorite lens ever...followed by DA 40mm f2.8.... so I can't wait for a FF camera to rear it's head with a native K mount. Especially after seeing how it performs. Granted, I prefer the longer 115mm field of view on the 77. Evident by my Nikon 80-200 f2.8 lens usually showing a 120mm-135mm FL in my exifs...
01-17-2014, 04:27 PM   #41
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
77 is my most favorite lens ever...followed by DA 40mm f2.8.... so I can't wait for a FF camera to rear it's head with a native K mount. Especially after seeing how it performs. Granted, I prefer the longer 115mm field of view on the 77. Evident by my Nikon 80-200 f2.8 lens usually showing a 120mm-135mm FL in my exifs...

Yeah, a Pentax FF will be best for the AF lenses.
Pentax lenses are good so far on 24mp FF.
Certainly not like what has been speculated before.
On top of that, they are also smaller.
So if Pentax comes out with a reasonable sized FF body (say a K3 FF), its a unique proposition to potential buyers.

The 100, 135mm focal lengths are much easier to use for people/portrait shots (working distance wise) on FF, based on my use of them on the 5D.
Opens quite a bit of options by being able to go near for tight portrait shots and moving to where apsc was for head to waist shots for a full body shot, all keeping shallow DOF for isolation.
Since I'm not an animal or bird shooter, 100-135mm work better for me on FF.

(I'd reach for the Q7+80-200 if it was for animals... no wildlife here though, just the zoo)
01-19-2014, 08:59 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Yeah, a Pentax FF will be best for the AF lenses.
Pentax lenses are good so far on 24mp FF.
Certainly not like what has been speculated before.
On top of that, they are also smaller.
So if Pentax comes out with a reasonable sized FF body (say a K3 FF), its a unique proposition to potential buyers.

The 100, 135mm focal lengths are much easier to use for people/portrait shots (working distance wise) on FF, based on my use of them on the 5D.
Opens quite a bit of options by being able to go near for tight portrait shots and moving to where apsc was for head to waist shots for a full body shot, all keeping shallow DOF for isolation.
Since I'm not an animal or bird shooter, 100-135mm work better for me on FF.

(I'd reach for the Q7+80-200 if it was for animals... no wildlife here though, just the zoo)
I hear you there... Don't worry.. Pentax FF will definitely share this same sensor with the A7/r.
Pentax loves to stay behind competitors, pick up what's left and polish it to an even better product than others thought possible.

Now we just need to give it up to a year for everyone to forget about this Sony 24mp FF sensor and Pentax will have it.. Patience, patience...
01-25-2014, 03:03 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Patience, patience...
Already waited for a decade, few more years doesnt matter
01-25-2014, 03:24 PM   #44
Pentaxian

I'm waiting for the FA*85 and maybe some comparison with the FA77mm.
01-25-2014, 07:02 PM   #45
Site Supporter

Shots look great. However, they should. You chose the star lens made by Kino Precision (Kiron) 28/2.

We often hear the claim/argument that legacy lenses are not good enough for digital FF.
Resolution is not there and poor edges being the primary reasons.
In the past, it was hard to confirm and so this passed on from one person to another (becoming a truth in itself).
There is evidence that some of the lenses work well enough since they have been adapted on 5D and 5DII, but these 2 cameras have issues with some lenses (esp. k-mounts) which limit what can be tried out.

But now, with the Sony A7, all the Pentax K-mount lenses can be tried out on a digital FF camera.
So this will be what I will try to do here with all my lenses, spanning M42 > K > M > A >FA and ltds.

I declare this right now too.
THIS IS NOT A "i'VE JUMPED SHIP AND ALL YOU GUYS HERE ARE SUCKERS!" POST
I have no hate for Pentax (still love it and using it)

THIS IS A "DOES THE M42 AND K-MOUNT LENS I HAVE WORK REASONABLY WELL ON DIGITAL FF?" THREAD.

I also won't go into promoting the A7 here on a Pentax Forum (leave that to the haters that linger here... )
Nor will I discuss the camera on this thread (avoid as much as possible)
Its about M42 and K-mount lenses in the FF context.

Photos will all be on my Flickr at full res.
JPG OOC, possibly cropped a bit for composition and/or adjusted for exposure.
AFAIK for now, the Sony in camera JPGS are way overcooked.
Take them as you will, (sorry, I won't provide RAW, too little time and lazy to do all that; and its not about the camera anyway)
(pls be merciful about the poor composition and all that )

Lets start with........

Kiron/Vivitar 28/2 (55mm filter thread; K-mount)
I've not found a hood for this lens that I can directly cap on while not vignetting the corners, so no hood used for the shots.

f2; showing the FOV of 28mm at about 1.5-2m working distance.

f2; 30-50cm away

f2; for small objects

f4;

f5.6

f8

Overall, pretty busy bokeh to me.
No glaringly bad edges or corners.
Sides may be a bit softer, but really slight.
Flare control is not too good imho. (almost a given for non-SMC legacy 3rd party stuff)

Pls review 100% from my flickr.
I really don't have the time to do 100% crops (apologies in advance)

Hope I can go on with all the lenses....
Man! uploading full size picts is so slow.