Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-25-2014, 11:11 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
I hear you there... Don't worry.. Pentax FF will definitely share this same sensor with the A7/r.
Pentax loves to stay behind competitors, pick up what's left and polish it to an even better product than others thought possible.

Now we just need to give it up to a year for everyone to forget about this Sony 24mp FF sensor and Pentax will have it.. Patience, patience...
I like this post. If this is the Pentax development strategy then it's a great one. Manufacturers end up being early OEM adopters and rush new models to market which other manufacturers would consider still in beta stage.

01-26-2014, 04:38 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
FA43 LTD

I shot some with the FA43ltd initially, but mixed them up with other shots and was not sure what shot what, so better not to post them wrongly.

So I managed to redo some yesterday during the Pentax monthly outing to Chinatown.

On first usage, I must say that FF may change the usage of a lens and so nothing is a given in terms of usability.
I suddenly found that my go to lens for indoor portrait and tighter half body style street shot lens on aps-c was no more.
43mm became wider for the same working distance.
I also over expected the fast f1.9 aperture, thinking that it would give the same isolation effect as a fast 50mm on FF.
But what came out seemed less so.

It seemed I needed some rethink and 'reconnection' with the usage of the lens.

So it was a good thing that I took it out again, as the main street lens for the outing and seemed to find my footing again with the FA43ltd.
Perhaps my own finding/preference....
1. Keep to half body shots for that isolation effect
2. Stop down a little for the sharpness and f2 does pretty fine. (f2 is the middle of f1.9 and f2.8 and has no 'click' stop btw)
3. works great as a walkabout lens
4. Does small objects well (as before)

@f1.9 (some human sized subjects)

@f1.9 (small objects)

Two samples at about f2 (or whatever is half way click on the aperture ring between f1.9 and f2.8)

@f2

@f2
Personally, I think it re-affirms my observation on aps-c (my copy at least) that the lens sharpens up considerably within 0.3-0.5 stop from wide open.

@f2.8 (again for small sized objects)

@f2.8 (human sized subjects)

By f2.8, its already a very sharp lens with a nice wider FOV.

@f4
Really sharp at f4

@f8
Again, nothing to complain here for me.
No poor edges at all.
The corners that have objects in them are sharp.
Don't see any hint of distortion too.

I was a bit disappointed initially when I started using the FA43ltd on FF.
Change in FOV from working distances that I had grown accustomed to on aps-c and DOF did not seem as shallow as with a 50mm.
But as with any lens, use it long enough and I think that learning curve will start to get to the point where it makes sense.

Overall, its still that wonderful lens with a very good FOV, that will certainly find a place in my camera bag, especially for travels.
(I also love the Q7 with 01 prime which is about the same equivalent FL BTW)

Edit
====
I'd just like to add that the FA ltds are covered.
Seems like Pentaxians can leave that worry that the crowning glory of Pentax lenses have issues with FF behind.
These three lenses are also readily available new and cover very useful focal lengths.
So 31/43/77 and a newly released WA/UWA would already cover the needs of most generalist photographers when a Pentax FF is released.

Last edited by pinholecam; 01-26-2014 at 04:48 AM.
01-27-2014, 06:30 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I'm waiting for the FA*85 and maybe some comparison with the FA77mm.
I won't do a comparison on this thread, but I wiull certainly cover the FA*85.
My only problem is to find a pretty model to test the lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
Shots look great. However, they should. You chose the star lens made by Kino Precision (Kiron) 28/2.
Didn't know that...
Thanks for the information,
Yes, its super sharp stopped down.
01-27-2014, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #49
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I won't do a comparison on this thread, but I wiull certainly cover the FA*85.
My only problem is to find a pretty model to test the lens.
Take your time, since the lens shines with pretty models and less with ugly ones

01-27-2014, 09:53 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Take your time, since the lens shines with pretty models and less with ugly ones
Great idea!! Nail color matching camera color!!
01-28-2014, 03:21 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Love the result from FA 31. Definitely stunning!

Are the first several shots from Singapore zoo?
01-29-2014, 03:34 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Thank you very much for the great work testing out these lenses! Can't wait to try out the FA Limiteds and old S-M-C TAKUMARs on FF in the future

Corner sharpness with the FA43 on the K-5 wasn't too great, so it is nice to see that it works so well on a 24Mpixel FF sensor.

01-29-2014, 11:24 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xinanbei Quote
Love the result from FA 31. Definitely stunning!

Are the first several shots from Singapore zoo?
The FA31ltd is certainly one of the great lenses out there.

Yes, the shots from the Kiron 28/2 is from the Singapore zoo.

QuoteOriginally posted by DonThomaso Quote
Thank you very much for the great work testing out these lenses! Can't wait to try out the FA Limiteds and old S-M-C TAKUMARs on FF in the future

Corner sharpness with the FA43 on the K-5 wasn't too great, so it is nice to see that it works so well on a 24Mpixel FF sensor.

Yes, I sure hope a Pentax FF solution comes about and all lenses work well natively.

My surprise so far is that corner IQ fall off between aps-c and FF wasn't as steep as I had expected.
I already know of IQ loss at the edges on aps-c for the K24 and Soligor 17mm, and expected bad performance on FF.
But seems like that the slight worse edges hold on all the way to the very extreme end.

In fact, from the examples so far, in real world usage, its largely unimportant to me. (YMMV)

Glad that the samples are useful to you.
01-31-2014, 02:23 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Original Poster
FA35/2

@f2
Showing the isolation that is possible at f2 for a larger sized object (or man sized)

@f2.8
Small objects

@f5.6
'Brick wall test'
Generally, I have no issues at all with the sharpness that the FA35 can achieve from corner to corner.

@f8

35mm lenses are generally good performing.
The venerable FA35 is no exception.
Fast, sharp and versatile FOV, with decent ability to get close if necessary.
I would have no hesitation to use it as the only lens in a walkabout.
Unfortunately, I don't have the more expensive adapter with aperture ring control so I can't borrow a DA35/2.4 to see if this good performance extends to its cheaper brother.
However, based on what Frank and other have shown based on film shots, I'm optimistic that it will do fine.

Maybe someone who has the lens, adapter and FF camera can chip in on this one...
01-31-2014, 07:40 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmm I wonder how the Tamron 28-75mm lens would do with this camera since it's a full frame lens?
02-01-2014, 07:47 PM   #56
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bass3587 Quote
Hmmm I wonder how the Tamron 28-75mm lens would do with this camera since it's a full frame lens?
I sold off my Tamron 28-75 while ago in preference to an all prime setup.

There are lots of proof that it works fine since ppl are using on Canikony FF.
02-08-2014, 04:33 PM   #57
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Helios 44 58/2 (M42)
================

So I was very curious how this oldie would 'test out' on FF at 24mp.

@f2,

@f2.8

@f5.6

@f8

This old beaten up lens (my copy) seems to work surprising well still on 24mp FF.
Center is sharp at f2, gets sharp throughout from f4 and by f5.6, f8, all sharp.
Typical of most 50mms, I would say.
There may be sharper lenses when ppl do test charts and such, but to me, in real use, it looks sharp and highly usable.

The wider FOV for the same working distance on FF also makes it easy to show off the swirly bokeh of this lens.
Eg.

I also realize that while lens reviews tend to shoot on a flat wall chart and say 'This lens is not overall sharp at wide open (or f2.8) ', the reality of most real world use is that it does not matter.
The majority of the shots I have posted so far at wide open or wider apertures would be those that I would like to leave out the 'other stuff' too for subject isolation.
If I wanted 'all sharp', I would choose f4 and upwards.

That said, the Helios44 does have significant enough 'swirl' and lack of sharpness at wide apertures just off centre to affect compositions where the subject is placed a bit off the centre,
02-08-2014, 07:24 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thank you very much! Exactly what I wanted to see
02-08-2014, 07:46 PM   #59
Pentaxian

Pretty amazing.
02-11-2014, 06:46 PM   #60
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
Thank you very much! Exactly what I wanted to see
Thats good to know..

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Pretty amazing.
Yes, the Helios 44 is pretty unique.
The swirly bokeh is very subjective, but I like it.