Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2014, 09:47 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
So this guy used his 16 MP APS-C X100s for a 80 feet x 18 feet billboard. Who needs to print bigger than this ?
They used professional upsampling software, which can (and has been) used to make iphone 3Gs images look acceptable from a block away like that

01-06-2014, 08:33 AM   #62
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
What seems to be rotting everyone's socks... is the notion that APS-c doesn't have a place. it really must rot FF partisan's socks that APS-c is still lout selling FF 10-1, even though there are crippled FF bodies out there for almost APS-c prices. For those so full of FF bias, that they can't see the APS-c forest because a few FF trees are in the way, this isn't making any sense. Many of us who bought K-3s, could have bought a 6D or 610 for the same money. I must be boggling the little minds.
Why on earth do you keep coming into the full-frame forum at Pentax and then using strawmans and insulting everyone here?

We're happy you like your K-3. I'm sure it's a nice camera. Others of us want to use zooms, or cheap and light wide angle lenses, etc., etc. There's a use for all camera formats. Get over it.
01-06-2014, 08:39 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Why on earth do you keep coming into the full-frame forum at Pentax and then using strawmans and insulting everyone here?

We're happy you like your K-3. I'm sure it's a nice camera. Others of us want to use zooms, or cheap and light wide angle lenses, etc., etc. There's a use for all camera formats. Get over it.
Why do full framers go into threads all over the forum and turn into full frame evangelists, instead of staying in their full frame section of the forum?

I think both larger and smaller formats will continue for quite a while jointly. I just don't know how many people really want full frame SLR size (including lens), even if cost isn't a factor (which it is).

As I think about it, the reason that probably most people buy SLRs is to take photos of their kids in places where cell phones just don't perform. Hard to say how easy it would be to get those people to buy a 6D instead of a T2i and kit lens.
01-06-2014, 08:50 AM   #64
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Why do full framers go into threads all over the forum and turn into full frame evangelists, instead of staying in their full frame section of the forum?
I'm everywhere on the forum, but I never insult the people in other forums because of their camera choice. That's kinda rude and not conducive to a productive forum.

If someone says something false I with regards to FF, I correct them, but that's it. I'm never the first to bring up FF and I don't know that any of the 'FF' people (what does that even mean? I have more APS-C cameras than any other sensor size) bring it up either, although it probably does happen.

I think both larger and smaller formats will continue for quite a while jointly. I just don't know how many people really want full frame SLR size (including lens), even if cost isn't a factor (which it is).
Sure, but often the FF is cheaper. Often it's smaller. In fact in the normal-ish range that many have as default (K+3 + 16-50) there are less expensive cameras in the FF regime.

As to smaller? Not with that combo, and never yet with a DSLR camera... when you're comparing a FF 'other' brand to a Pentax APS-C. Let's see what the size is when Pentax brings out it's FF! Rumors are it will share the K-3 body...

Hard to say how easy it would be to get those people to buy a 6D instead of a T2i and kit lens.
Not very easy at all, right? Pretty much everybody knows there's more expensive options out there, even if the average T2i buyer might not know exactly WHY the 1D is so expensive (it must just shoot faster and have more buttons, right?).

By the time someone gets to the 'should I buy a 7D?' stage, though, hopefully they know the (accurate) pros and cons of 7D vs. 6D.

01-06-2014, 08:55 AM   #65
bxf
Pentaxian

Give me an FF that is not significantly larger/bulkier than an APS-C with comparable features, and I'll jump for it. Why wouldn't I? If you can make the FF price only marginally higher than APS-C, that would be great, thanks.

I believe I'm not alone in believing that size matters. A lot. Just go to any popular tourist area. Can you imagine that many of the people walking around with cameras would be willing to carry the bulk of and pay for FF, knowing that (for them) APS-C is more than good enough? I'd bet that most of these casual shooters never pay much attention to DOF, anyway. Now, if I was working in a studio, or travelling in my car and shooting as I go along, that would be a very different story.
01-06-2014, 08:59 AM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Give me an FF that is not significantly larger/bulkier than an APS-C with comparable features, and I'll jump for it. Why wouldn't I? If you can make the FF price only marginally higher than APS-C, that would be great, thanks.

I believe I'm not alone in believing that size matters. A lot. Just go to any popular tourist area. Can you imagine that many of the people walking around with cameras would be willing to carry the bulk of and pay for FF, knowing that (for them) APS-C is more than good enough? I'd bet that most of these casual shooters never pay much attention to DOF, anyway. Now, if I was working in a studio, or travelling in my car and shooting as I go along, that would be a very different story.
Not going to happen -- at least not as long as Nikon/Canon are the sellers of full frame SLRs. Their game is always about up selling -- leaving enough out of your entry level items to get folks to need to abandon them. There are an awful lot of folks who bought D600s who are now shooting D800s because of deficiencies they found in the D600.

That's where Pentax could certainly steal a corner. In my opinion, a K50 is a better still photography tool than the D3200/D5200, because even though it has an older sensor, Pentax/Ricoh has not crippled it to protect the K3.
01-06-2014, 09:10 AM   #67
Pentaxian

It's the middle east! (who shot who first?) :)

If you pay attention though, a FF discussion in another part of the forum is never started by a FF advocate, it's started by an apsc-only evangelist stating something that isn't true, often in an insulting manner.

If you don't want to talk about FF in another part of the forum... then don't start talking about FF in another part of the forum! Otherwise all bets are off.

(This will be moot once Pentax finally releases a FF camera, at which time FF will become fantastically popular throughout all of PF! )

Last edited by jsherman999; 01-06-2014 at 09:18 AM.
01-06-2014, 09:10 AM   #68
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Sounds like the 7D and 6D, right? The 6D is slighter smaller and ~10-15% lighter, adds GPS, etc. I have never used a 6D so I'm not sure whether it has better AF or not. The 6D is $150 more but with the lens savings I'd get (in cost and weight) it makes you wonder how many people would be better off with the 7D.

I wonder what the 7D sales looks like immediately before and after intro of the 5DIII/6D.

01-06-2014, 09:15 AM   #69
Pentaxian

There are an awful lot of folks who bought D600s who are now shooting D800s because of deficiencies they found in the D600. .
A few (relatively,) not an 'awful lot'. The D600/610 is actually a very nice camera with a fantastic sensor.
01-06-2014, 09:15 AM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like the 7D and 6D, right? The 6D is slighter smaller and ~10-15% lighter, adds GPS, etc. I have never used a 6D so I'm not sure whether it has better AF or not. The 6D is $150 more but with the lens savings I'd get (in cost and weight) it makes you wonder how many people would be better off with the 7D.

I wonder what the 7D sales looks like immediately before and after intro of the 5DIII/6D.
Canon 7D is 4 years old -- that is ancient in camera terms. My understanding is that the 7D does still have better tracking, the center point on the 6D is the one that most folks use. Why Canon hasn't released a 7D MK II is beyond me, except that they decided that they wanted to get everyone interested in such a camera to buy a 5D MK III (doubt most 7D folks would be satisfied with the compromises in a 6D).
01-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #71
Site Supporter

Canon 7D is 4 years old -- that is ancient in camera terms.
Sure, but we were talking about camera size, right? Would you prefer to compare the 70D? Is the 70D better than the 7D, anyway?

Why Canon hasn't released a 7D MK II is beyond me, except that they decided that they wanted to get everyone interested in such a camera to buy a 5D MK III (doubt most 7D folks would be satisfied with the compromises in a 6D).
What are the compromises of the 6D? Just the AF? Maybe some body rugged-ability? (Is the 7D a 'rugged' camera)?

Is the fact that Nikon hasn't brought out a D400 and Canon hasn't brought out a 7DII mistakes by their marketing/business development group?
01-06-2014, 09:41 AM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter

Sure, but we were talking about camera size, right? Would you prefer to compare the 70D? Is the 70D better than the 7D, anyway?

What are the compromises of the 6D? Just the AF? Maybe some body rugged-ability? (Is the 7D a 'rugged' camera)?

Is the fact that Nikon hasn't brought out a D400 and Canon hasn't brought out a 7DII mistakes by their marketing/business development group?
The question is are you giving your customers what they want, or are you trying to get your customers to buy what you want to sell? The 6D is pretty flimsy compared to the 7D. There is no particular reason why the 7D has to be so big, except that Canon makes big cameras (just like Sigma makes big lenses).

If enough people are dissatisfied with being pushed to buy something they don't want, then they could leave for other pastures. I have no crystal ball and certainly don't know enough to predict where the market is really going. I just think it is dangerous to assume that the future will be the present, but with incremental improvements. If that is true, then companies like Sony and Olympus will be up a creek without a paddle, but I think current SLRs are probably at the end of their string and other things will supersede them -- at least for the majority of the market.
01-06-2014, 09:42 AM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
A few (relatively,) not an 'awful lot'. The D600/610 is actually a very nice camera with a fantastic sensor.
So why do you shoot with a D800?
01-06-2014, 09:47 AM   #74
Pentaxian

So why do you shoot with a D800?
Mainly because when I bought the D800, the D600 didn't exist yet.

And if a K-mount FF camera had existed, I may not even have the D800
01-06-2014, 10:02 AM   #75
Pentaxian

Is the 70D better than the 7D, anyway?
I think they are about the same size.
"Better" depends on user requirements.
The 7D is primarily a performance camera with the best predictive AF in APS-C market plus 9 FPS. The 70D has a tweaked sensor with slightly larger megapixel output, newer image processor, and a nice articulated LCD.

Is the 7D a 'rugged' camera
It is quite well built; technically it is less weather resistant than the K-5-K-3 series bodies, but in real life use I've never had an issue with it in our often wet weather.

I think the lack of competition is contributing to the non-emergence of a 7D Mark II; easy money for Canon, though they certainly have their complacent tendencies.

There is no particular reason why the 7D has to be so big, except that Canon makes big cameras
Well, the SL-1 counters that argument pretty well. It out Pentaxes Pentax in small and functional. Perhaps the reason the 7D is sized the way it is is because it is ergonomic. I find that it fits my hand much better than the K-3; also the button layout on the 7D, for the most part, facilitates camera operation the way I prefer in ways better than the K-3. All cameras are imperfect, but I'm preferring the 7D. I won't get into the mediocre menuing system of the K-3.

M