Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-26-2014, 11:34 AM   #61
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
So let me see if I can list the pros and cons. Maybe someone can make a more detailed list, with sources.
APS-H pros:
- Has advantages over APS-C, for example wider angles and maybe less noise
- Has advantages over FF, for example slightly longer lenses and maybe smaller camera body
- At the same time, the area/crop difference between APS-H and FF is much smaller than between FF and APS-C, so it feels more similar
- FF might not allow SR and full use of DA lenses, because (some of) these lenses project an image circle that is too small. APS-H might allow all of the functions that APS-C offers right now (as in, no AA filter, in-body SR and selective AA filter, maybe even sensor shift). An APS-H mirror would also fit more comfortably in the mirror box than an FF mirror
- It might attract non-Pentaxians to think about Pentax, as it would offer something other brands do not, a "best of both worlds" solution/compromise, allowing legacy lenses, all the current features, while not being "too far" from FF

APS-H cons:
- Not very common, which might mean it costs more. The 16MP sensor, for example, was used in many Pentax cameras and even many non-Pentax cameras, which probably kept the cost relatively low and the performance remained high. An APS-H would have a smaller production and might require development of new technologies, which costs a lot. On the other hand, sensor technology has improved a lot, and costs have been lowered significantly in the past few years, so maybe this is not such a big deal anymore
- Its not APS-C that we are used to and its not FF that some dream about. And some people have the fear that APS-H would prevent Pentax from ever going FF.
- it might confuse and repel non-Pentaxians, preventing Pentax to grow as fast (since growth is often associated with mainstream features)

Btw, Ron, did you talk about the XS line of lenses? Will they ever make any more?
This is a good list I think.

Well to be smart I would call aps-h camera K-2, leaving all dreams open for K-1

We did not talk about xs-line of lenses.

01-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #62
Pentaxian

APS-H advantages over APS-C/"FF" are also disadvantages over "FF"/APS-C.
The 3rd point is a disadvantage over "FF"; similar but not quite there is worse than identical.
The 4th "advantage" is a theory which was never proven, and some "extras" we know to be false - for example, no AA filter does not depend on the format, and in-body stabilized "full frame" cameras were made and worked well even with legacy lenses.
The 5th, well... it might have the opposite effect: Pentax, the brand who couldn't get "FF". Pentax, almost there. Pentax, being inferior. Pentax couldn't do it. If they're blamed and ridiculed even when they're doing things right, just imagine what will happen if they would settle for less.
01-26-2014, 12:04 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Something else to reduce the size to fit a FF and SR in the thing. Use microSD card slots instead of standard SD.

64GB Class 10 XC1 micro SD are surprisingly cheap.
01-26-2014, 12:40 PM   #64
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
Something else to reduce the size to fit a FF and SR in the thing. Use microSD card slots instead of standard SD.

64GB Class 10 XC1 micro SD are surprisingly cheap.
No those are slow in writing.

01-26-2014, 12:46 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
No those are slow in writing.
30mb/s at the moment. Expect this to increase, although yes, 60mb/s is preferable, 95mb/s is great.

With a decent buffer like the K-3 has, is this not workable?
01-26-2014, 12:48 PM   #66
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
30mb/s at the moment. Expect this to increase, although yes, 60mb/s is preferable, 95mb/s is great.

With a decent buffer like the K-3 has, is this not workable?
Not if you want to sell camera's to people who do sportsphotography!
01-26-2014, 02:39 PM   #67
Veteran Member

For me APS-H or current size is about same size, i donot care about APS-H.

But similar to Sony A7 would be interesting body. Lightweight and smallsize would be more easy to carry much around. FF would be nice but not real issue to me. As a second bodyonly for landscapes, traveling, outdoors and so on...I think i normal dsrl is still better camera for me. Actually limited xsync time outdoor is much more issue to me than sensor size, maybe can replace mechanical shutter with electronical shutter or something like that. Offtopic yes sorry...