Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
01-30-2014, 08:26 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Styling? I'm on record many times with this, but I'll say it again;
No Retro.
Not "Retro Done Right!", no phony nostalgia, no appalling 'faux' 70's hipster look, 'Remember me?' dials and knobs, wannabe.
Because, ya' know, do we really need another Nikon Df?
Fuji X-T1,
Sony Alpha, 7 (R),
Olympus OM-D E-M10?
Trade off what now seems to be the best ergonomics and user-friendly design going, for a box with knobs?
To chase a small, style-oriented fad that's nearing its shelf-life? Overcrowded, overpriced and underdone?
Nay-sayers will point out that the very fact there's so many versions, means it must be popular, right?
Could it be that Sony (in particular) and the others are throwing darts at a board? See what sticks. Of course, they can afford to.
No, a K-5 or K-3 form factor, slightly larger. Normal-looking, no junk, no 'look at me!' design cues, no memorabilia.
Normal, for Pentax, 2014.
Should be interesting....
JMO,
Ron
You know you're commenting on a company that brought out 'HD' in 2013, right?

01-30-2014, 08:47 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Styling? I'm on record many times with this, but I'll say it again;
No Retro.
Not "Retro Done Right!", no phony nostalgia, no appalling 'faux' 70's hipster look, 'Remember me?' dials and knobs, wannabe.
Because, ya' know, do we really need another Nikon Df?
Fuji X-T1,
Sony Alpha, 7 (R),
Olympus OM-D E-M10?
Trade off what now seems to be the best ergonomics and user-friendly design going, for a box with knobs?
To chase a small, style-oriented fad that's nearing its shelf-life? Overcrowded, overpriced and underdone?
Nay-sayers will point out that the very fact there's so many versions, means it must be popular, right?
Could it be that Sony (in particular) and the others are throwing darts at a board? See what sticks. Of course, they can afford to.
No, a K-5 or K-3 form factor, slightly larger. Normal-looking, no junk, no 'look at me!' design cues, no memorabilia.
Normal, for Pentax, 2014.
Should be interesting....
JMO,
Ron
i actually like "knobs" they are much easier to me then struggling with menu options using arrow keys.
01-31-2014, 12:43 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
...That's funny, certainly no old fashioned 70' hipster retro boxy stuff, but there must be a classic 1936 OVF though.

Just saying, there's nothing wrong with old design per se.

Last edited by Clavius; 01-31-2014 at 07:57 AM.
01-31-2014, 07:28 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
...That's funny, certainly no old fashioned 70' hipster retro boxy stuff, but there must be a classic 1936 OVF though.
Well, tell me where else we should put the superior viewing technology? [ESDIT: Ya know what? I'm tired of this same old line. No more responses]

Boriscleto'ed™

01-31-2014, 10:30 PM   #65
Pentaxian

Interchangeable focus screens.. I like to use a split image focus screen.
01-31-2014, 11:18 PM   #66

Optional battery grip.
02-01-2014, 12:26 AM   #67
Veteran Member

A view finder the size of the LX's FC-1.

02-01-2014, 04:57 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
A view finder the size of the LX's FC-1.
I think we may have covered something similar already. but ya the bigger the OVF the better
02-01-2014, 05:26 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tilt-able LCD screen . Yes? No?
02-01-2014, 06:20 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
I think we may have covered something similar already. but ya the bigger the OVF the better
How about this? A body the size of the Nikon F5 or a little smaller. Ah gots large hands.
02-01-2014, 08:03 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No one suggested a 1/320 or faster flash-x speed yet?

QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
Tilt-able LCD screen . Yes? No?
And yes, tilty screen would be lovely.

I would also add zebras for video modes
02-01-2014, 08:32 AM   #72
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
How about this? A body the size of the Nikon F5 or a little smaller. Ah gots large hands.
Humm, seems some want small and some want large, we may have to settle for the k-3 size body with grip option.
02-01-2014, 08:37 AM   #73

Back in '72, some of us at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh would dream about the digital cameras we knew would eventually come. All we wanted was a digital "back" which could be attached in place of the film back. We figured there's be plenty of room in the camera body where the film would no longer be for the required electronics. At that point we figured we were done, right? We had shutter and aperture controls where the gods intended them to be (on a dial and the lens, respectively). All we needed to do was match up the needles and shoot.

With the Nikon DF and the Fuji X-E2/X-T1, we may be returning to some sort of control sanity. In spite of Apple's abandonment of skeuomorphism (which was the correct thing to do in the case of computers and phones), we will see more of it in our cameras. That's a good thing.
02-01-2014, 09:27 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rumplestiltskin Quote
Back in '72, some of us at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh would dream about the digital cameras we knew would eventually come. All we wanted was a digital "back" which could be attached in place of the film back. We figured there's be plenty of room in the camera body where the film would no longer be for the required electronics. At that point we figured we were done, right? We had shutter and aperture controls where the gods intended them to be (on a dial and the lens, respectively). All we needed to do was match up the needles and shoot.

With the Nikon DF and the Fuji X-E2/X-T1, we may be returning to some sort of control sanity. In spite of Apple's abandonment of skeuomorphism (which was the correct thing to do in the case of computers and phones), we will see more of it in our cameras. That's a good thing.
I had a look at a df the other day. It is a large and fugly thing. But I do agree, analog control knobs and wheels do look much easier and a lot more fun.
02-01-2014, 10:08 AM   #75
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rumplestiltskin Quote

There was a company that for a while made "e-film" a digital film cartridge that worked with older cameras that had DX code reading capabilities. their prototype was at the time, about a 2 mp sensor. i saw a few shots from this cartridge and they weren't that bad. The owner of the company sold his patten and the company. and the product was burried

Last edited by OldNoob; 02-01-2014 at 10:15 AM.