Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2014, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #76
Banned

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
There was a company that for a while made "e-film" a digital film cartridge that worked with older cameras that had DX code reading capabilities. their prototype was at the time, about a 2 mp sensor. i saw a few shots from this cartridge and they weren't that bad. The owner of the company sold his patten and the company. and the product was burried
History doomed to repeat itself? Project promises digital cartridge for film SLRs

With new DSLRs selling for under $300 with zoom lens there is zero demand for such a product that would cost much more.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T3-Digital-SLR-Camera-w-18-55mm-IS-L...p2047675.l2557

02-01-2014, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #77
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
But think of how the hipsters would LOVE it! They could wander around with that (insert vintage camera here) and take pictures while looking "cool" and hipsterish!
02-02-2014, 06:06 AM   #78
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Multipurpose sports- and wildlife camera!

So okay I will also build this nice new Full Frame camera (don't look surprised when you look into the mount and discover only an APS-H sized sensr ).

I think it can be done inside a body styled (or that body) as the K-3 is. That is a fantastic camerabody and al you need is almost in it. It may have to grow a little bit, but since we controll the design, it's just the same for me.

Having all the nice futures inside the K-3, I would like the AF even to be better then it allready is. We can allways see improvement on that area. All other electronics would be great. I know I would want it all faster, but since I also want it not to expensive there are some things to trade in. So no new electronics, starting from the K-3 and no dual processors.

As a sensor I wouldn't go over 24 megapixel. For a second model maybe for studiowork, but if it is just one camera then I would like it to be in the midrange in megapixels.

The PRIME III processor inside I would like to give some extra options. I think that is also possible from a technical point. Maybe even inside the K-3? I would like to give the processor the option in the menu to choose between 14-bit RAW and 12-bit RAW. In that way you have the option to choose between Image Quality as high and detailed as possible, or to choose for having the fastest processing camera as possible at the cost for a little lower IQ.

I would make the buffer for the RAW images in Hi-continous shooting twice the size of the K-3. In that way you can make at least 48 images at the max off 8,3 fps. With the 14-bit RAW this will take a good time (almost a minute) to clear the buffer when you fill it, but when choosing the 12-bit RAW (or making JPG) you will have a very nice and fast camera. In 14-bit RAW images would be on average like 32 MB each while in 12-bit RAW you go down to 22 MB making the camera snappy fast.

In this way Pentax makes an excellent camera for sports- and wildlife photograhy, while still offering a perfect camera with 24 megapixels for macro-, architecture-, studio- and familyphotography.
02-02-2014, 06:18 AM   #79
Banned

An APS-H sensor would cost much more than a full frame sensor because of the low volume since only three people on the planet want one.

02-02-2014, 06:35 AM   #80
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
An APS-H sensor would cost much more than a full frame sensor because of the low volume since only three people on the planet want one.
Well I the most important thing is the choice between 14-bit RAW and 12-bit RAW with a double sized buffer!
02-02-2014, 10:15 AM   #81
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
So okay I will also build this nice new Full Frame camera (don't look surprised when you look into the mount and discover only an APS-H sized sensr ).

I think it can be done inside a body styled (or that body) as the K-3 is. That is a fantastic camerabody and al you need is almost in it. It may have to grow a little bit, but since we controll the design, it's just the same for me.

Having all the nice futures inside the K-3, I would like the AF even to be better then it allready is. We can allways see improvement on that area. All other electronics would be great. I know I would want it all faster, but since I also want it not to expensive there are some things to trade in. So no new electronics, starting from the K-3 and no dual processors.

As a sensor I wouldn't go over 24 megapixel. For a second model maybe for studiowork, but if it is just one camera then I would like it to be in the midrange in megapixels.

The PRIME III processor inside I would like to give some extra options. I think that is also possible from a technical point. Maybe even inside the K-3? I would like to give the processor the option in the menu to choose between 14-bit RAW and 12-bit RAW. In that way you have the option to choose between Image Quality as high and detailed as possible, or to choose for having the fastest processing camera as possible at the cost for a little lower IQ.

I would make the buffer for the RAW images in Hi-continous shooting twice the size of the K-3. In that way you can make at least 48 images at the max off 8,3 fps. With the 14-bit RAW this will take a good time (almost a minute) to clear the buffer when you fill it, but when choosing the 12-bit RAW (or making JPG) you will have a very nice and fast camera. In 14-bit RAW images would be on average like 32 MB each while in 12-bit RAW you go down to 22 MB making the camera snappy fast.

In this way Pentax makes an excellent camera for sports- and wildlife photograhy, while still offering a perfect camera with 24 megapixels for macro-, architecture-, studio- and familyphotography.
Of all these options, which ONE is the most important to you?
02-02-2014, 11:37 AM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Auto-ISO speed (minimum shutter speed) on front e-dial when in Av mode. Why this isn't on all two-dial cameras boggles me.

02-02-2014, 11:43 AM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Auto-ISO speed (minimum shutter speed) on front e-dial when in Av mode. Why this isn't on all two-dial cameras boggles me.
Doesn't my K-5 do that already?

I was assuming all the 'good' things on the K-5/K-3 would carry over.
02-02-2014, 01:22 PM   #84
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Yes this should be possible, but actuallly also for shutterspeed, so you can't go wrong when using Av and auto iso and auto shutterspeed.
02-02-2014, 01:23 PM   #85
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
Of all these options, which ONE is the most important to you?
If I have to choose one, I choose the option for 12-bit RAW. This will make the camera faster in processing while still delivering excellent images.
02-02-2014, 02:31 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Full Frame using a Foveon sensor
02-02-2014, 02:31 PM   #87
Veteran Member

Full Frame and non-crippled K mount
02-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
Full Frame using a Foveon sensor
The APS-C version of Foveon is only 2-3 years old... we'll see, I guess. It would be nice but I would think Sigma would bring theirs out first...? Maybe not, Nikon had the 'first' 36 MP Sony chips.

This would be the type of 'new' to the market thing that I'd like to see from Pentax...
02-02-2014, 02:50 PM   #89

24,3 MP sensor (same league as the Nikon D610)
AW-body
AF points more spread over the frame (all cross sensitive)
Improved tracking AF (evolution from the K-3)
8.3 FPS
Same button layout as the K-3
Same battery as the K-3
Build in GPS
Big 100% viewfinder
14-bit RAW

Price: €1700-€2000
02-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #90
Veteran Member

One more. I'd badge it the LXD or DLX (preference for the first) since the APS-C flagship already has a K-single digit naming convention. Then the sequel would be the LXD-2, LXD-3, and so on.