Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
02-12-2014, 07:37 AM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I know very little students with the budget to buy a Leica though.
All-manual digital cameras are not for students, as these cameras will be too expensive niche cameras.
Students will buy low priced mass produced cameras.

02-12-2014, 01:44 PM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
1) An articulated lens mount effectively making it possible to control perspective with any lens and adaptable to use any manufacturer's lens.
2) Modular design: Interchangeable pentaprisms, focusing screens. Interchangeable shutters between standard and leaf shutter to obtain flash sync at any shutter speed. Or just remove it all together and go mirrorless. But most of all, interchangeable sensors.
3) Made of carbon fiber.
4) Wifi and phone built in. First camera to be a phone instead of the other way around! Can use WiFi to send music to Blue Tooth speaker buds. Good bye iPod!
5) Voice activated "ISO 100" "Set to JPEG" "Record comment: Image of J. Smith scoring 80-yard touchdown in 4th quarter with 8:50 on the clock."
6) Bring back a feature that Canon had: The DEP mode. Focus on two spots and the camera automatically set the focus point and chose the f/stop to get the right DOF.
7) Bracketing shutter speeds while adjusting aperture. Say you shooting a horse race. You can get 1/1000 on one frame and 1/30th on another and choose still or blur in post.
8) Solar cell to charge the battery.
9) Mirror lock up.
10) Live view with image display in < 1 second
11) 16-bit RAW
12) 12 gigabit data transfer rate to the SD card.
13) Menu is adjustable - The user has full capability to download, buy or custom design their own user interface and menu system.
14) OLD screen
15) ISO 25 - 250,000 with zero noise
16) Firmware is open source.
17) Tethering
18) Custom function to allow shutter speeds in TV or M mode that can be as long as 1 hour.
19) 20 frames per second in RAW
20) GPS - Not only records GPS data but gives driving directions via Blue Tooth. Good bye Garmin!
21) Removable LCD screen to use it as a portable, MP3 player, phone or GPS device.
22) Sells for $5
02-13-2014, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #123
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Beaugrand Quote
What I would like to see, not necessarily in a FF but at least APS-C, is a digital equivalent K1000 "student camera": manual settings only (manual focus, shutter speed, ISO and aperture settings). Compatible with any PK lens ever made, powered by either AA or rechargeable pack. And only available in black, or black with silver trim...
I totally agree! I would like to see a student camera also! It would be a good marketing strategy also. The K1000 was what I used when I took photography classes and that is how I got hooked on Pentax. If students use Pentax.. more likely to keep using Pentax. I don't know what the requirments are for photography classes these days, but when I took them you had to have a fully manual camera.

I started a thread on this awhile back.. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/221419-k1000d.html

Edit to add: But I want to see a high end flagship FF first.

Last edited by Tesla; 02-13-2014 at 03:15 PM.
02-16-2014, 06:21 PM   #124
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Beaugrand Quote
What I would like to see, not necessarily in a FF but at least APS-C, is a digital equivalent K1000 "student camera": manual settings only (manual focus, shutter speed, ISO and aperture settings). Compatible with any PK lens ever made, powered by either AA or rechargeable pack. And only available in black, or black with silver trim...
I like this idea. just a simple DSLR without a ton of setting functions or corrections. maybe exposure correction by 3. But seriously most of the added functions in modern cameras can be duplicated in raw editing software anyway, even white balance and shadow correction. Yes, Just a simple camera, and let the lens and the software create the effects.

02-16-2014, 10:27 PM   #125
Forum Member

The history of camera development is fairly repetitious: Camera company introduces a golly-gee-whiz, gotta-have-it, upper-end pro camera that's better than sliced bread, so everyone who's anyone has to have it; as soon as sales begin to decline after peaking, a new model is introduced that has one or two less features, for a slightly less price; again, as demand falls after peaking, yet another crippled model is introduced- and repeat as necessary, until the next golly-gee-whiz thing hits the market.

The all-manual DSLR could be that final crippled version, with autofocus disabled, and all the other auto-features deleted: no auto-select for anything.

It doesn't have to be "retro" (although that would be my preference), it could be built using a recently-discontinued body style, like the K-x/K-r.

I presently use my K-r in manual mode almost exclusively because I already have a number of non-autofocus PK lenses. I would be okay with setting the ISO and shutter via the menu, so no new controls would need to be designed for the "manual only" variant.

If the concept proves valid with an APS-C body, then we can talk about a FF "manual only" variant.
02-16-2014, 11:19 PM   #126
Forum Member

Here are my ideals.

Name: LXD-1
Size: K20 size with battery grip option
De-crippled K mount
Front and back control wheels
Shake reduction on/off switch
Top lcd
mode dial with M,Av,Tv,Tav,B. no movie mode
100% view finder with 100% magnification
front/ back IR sensors
auto focus assist lamp
hot shoe, (no in-body flash) plus PC plug
buttons for WB, ISO, drive mode etc
More focus points that are smaller and f/2.8 capable
dual card slots
Tethering or bulilt in wifi
canon/nikon class auto focus

What do you guys think of this?

Rick
02-17-2014, 10:06 AM   #127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FrankC Quote
1) An articulated lens mount effectively making it possible to control perspective with any lens and adaptable to use any manufacturer's lens.
2) Modular design: Interchangeable pentaprisms, focusing screens. Interchangeable shutters between standard and leaf shutter to obtain flash sync at any shutter speed. Or just remove it all together and go mirrorless. But most of all, interchangeable sensors.
3) Made of carbon fiber.
4) Wifi and phone built in. First camera to be a phone instead of the other way around! Can use WiFi to send music to Blue Tooth speaker buds. Good bye iPod!
5) Voice activated "ISO 100" "Set to JPEG" "Record comment: Image of J. Smith scoring 80-yard touchdown in 4th quarter with 8:50 on the clock."
6) Bring back a feature that Canon had: The DEP mode. Focus on two spots and the camera automatically set the focus point and chose the f/stop to get the right DOF.
7) Bracketing shutter speeds while adjusting aperture. Say you shooting a horse race. You can get 1/1000 on one frame and 1/30th on another and choose still or blur in post.
8) Solar cell to charge the battery.
9) Mirror lock up.
10) Live view with image display in < 1 second
11) 16-bit RAW
12) 12 gigabit data transfer rate to the SD card.
13) Menu is adjustable - The user has full capability to download, buy or custom design their own user interface and menu system.
14) OLD screen
15) ISO 25 - 250,000 with zero noise
16) Firmware is open source.
17) Tethering
18) Custom function to allow shutter speeds in TV or M mode that can be as long as 1 hour.
19) 20 frames per second in RAW
20) GPS - Not only records GPS data but gives driving directions via Blue Tooth. Good bye Garmin!
21) Removable LCD screen to use it as a portable, MP3 player, phone or GPS device.
22) Sells for $5
Number One could be done in-camera.

---------- Post added 02-17-14 at 09:09 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rick in Ohio Quote
Here are my ideals.

De-crippled K mount
Top lcd
front/ back IR sensors
auto focus assist lamp
dual card slots

Rick
I like "DLX" for the name and interchangeable finders could offered and still have tethering.

02-17-2014, 10:26 AM   #128
Forum Member

I think an Eye-Fi card satisfies the "built-in Wi-Fi" requirement; just ship with the camera.
02-17-2014, 11:58 AM   #129
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rick in Ohio Quote
Here are my ideals.

De-crippled K mount
Top lcd
front/ back IR sensors
auto focus assist lamp
dual card slots

Rick
It's now 2014 and only old people want a camera with no movie mode.
02-17-2014, 09:51 PM   #130
Veteran Member

I actually took my first decent videos today.

I'm not very much of a movie guy. I feel old but am not really all that old.

Anyway, if it saved a few hundred dollars, it'd be great to kill the movie mode. Seeing as it saves almost nothing, I'll take the extra spot on the dial.
02-17-2014, 10:03 PM   #131
Site Supporter

Imagine if they moved movie mode to the menu and allowed that to be a programmable spot that you could put movie mode in. That frees up an extra user mode for those that don't want movie mode and keeps those that use it satisfied.
02-17-2014, 10:46 PM   #132
Pentaxian

Obviously, one cannot build a camera by adding features by acclimation. Various photographers want different sorts of cameras. I would be happy with a mirrorless with either an articulated screen or wireless tethering to a notepad and optional EVF. I do not need video, but do not mind it. Pixel pitch of the K-3 would be fine, but dynamic range of the K-5 is prioritized. Decent write speed would be nice. I do not care much about frame rate. Reliable and bulletproof are desirable. I care most about optimal iso quality, but good high speed quality is nice. A design like the Sony a/7 would be attractive if adapters did not compromise IQ.

But, hey, I would likely buy a fuscia full frame dslr that takes K-mount lenses if it came out soon.
02-18-2014, 01:19 AM   #133
Forum Member

I would wait for the black silicone body armor for that fuschia camera, but I get what you're saying.
02-18-2014, 02:10 AM   #134
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
Features added by Pentax Forums FF development team:
Full Frame
Clean styling
Large Optical Viewfinder
6.66 MP per a square centimeter
K-3 styling
Size of a LX film camera (possibly mirrorless)
Mirrorless (not sure we can do that with optical viewfinder though, possible rangefinder)
50mm f1.4 metal kit lens
Shake Reduction
Styled by the same person who designed the Pentax Q
4K 60p
Expand ISO lower and higher
Dedicated DOF preview lever or button
Electronic shutter to sync up to 1/8000th.
Fast AF
Retro look, but not retro ergonomics
De-cripple K-mount. More friendly exposure mode with K- and M-series manual lenses.
Should come in the hands of a sexy Pentax lady, that just got caught in the rain and is soaking wet (even though the camera is fine, if you still happen to care) ?
Development kit, or an open platform to program my own filters, profiles, functions (Firmware editor)
Fuji-style hybrid VF. (but with a mirror/pentaprism setup instead of see-through).
Interchangeable viewfinder
Retain TTL and aHSS in addition to P-TTL
Optional battery grip.
Tilt LCD
Live "Zebras" in video mode.
Choice between 14-bit RAW and 12-bit RAW with a double sized buffer
Front and Rear E-Dials
9 frames per a second.
AF points more spread over the frame (all cross sensitive)
Left Handed version?
This Franken-Camera is starting too look like it's going to cost at least twice as much as a 645D.

I think they should just do a Pentax version of the A7r, but this time done right: with tiny Pentaxy pancakes to complete it.
02-18-2014, 02:17 AM   #135
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
It's now 2014 and only old people want a camera with no movie mode.
Well that's painting with broad strokes.

I certainly couldn't give a flying proverbial about video in my cameras (that's what my iPhone is for) and I'm in my early 20s...

---------- Post added 02-18-14 at 09:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
This Franken-Camera is starting too look like it's going to cost at least twice as much as a 645D.

I think they should just do a Pentax version of the A7r, but this time done right: with tiny Pentaxy pancakes to complete it.
You, my friend, speak all sorts of sense.

An A7 with a 43mm and 77mm would be purrrrrdy.