Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2014, 07:56 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K2D - a possible name for new FF from Pentax???

Hey - it just seems clear that the next DSLR from Pentax should have this name - after a great grandpa' PENTAX K2.

I write this post inspired heavily by new Df FF DSLR from Nikon. I got this camera in my hands few days ago and I was blown up by the look & feel..... and an amazing, TOTAL lens compatibility...... hmmmmm this is actually what we all have in our Pentax DSLR's!

I am a former Nikon user and I have a positive feeling about their products, so I am really happy Nikon made this move that can force Pentax to create a true timeless-new-classic K2d full frame counterpart of a Nikon Df.

One thing that I do wish K2d should have: a new K-mount with mechanical aperture coupler that would bring all K and M series lenses back to Aperture-priority life.

With massive choice of FF legacy lenses - this K2d would have been a real serious-amator market-ruller!!! Paired with students K1000D FF these DSLR's could make a nice revolution on the market. At least I would have a reason to think of another camera - other than my K5/K200d combo.

What you think? ..... another hypothetical FF dream?

I once made my good prediction of a Nikon D200. Why not this time...

Last edited by Petrus_One; 01-27-2015 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Title change.
02-14-2014, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I like the concept but Im not sure if it is a good direction for Ricoh to take with their first foray into digital FF. It is easy for Nikon to do something like this because they have other options in the FF line. Many of the newer users may not like everything being knob controlled. I personally would love for Ricoh to release a Retro FF camera but i feel it would make more sense for Ricoh to stick with a more tradition DSLR design than to bust out the box with something that would be a large risk in my eyes. I think we all know that Pentax is not really known for being big risk takers.
02-14-2014, 09:56 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
Pentax is not really known for being big risk takers.
Yeah, if you exclude the K-01...
02-14-2014, 10:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mythguy9 Quote
Yeah, if you exclude the K-01...
Given the price point and category of the K-01 do we really see it as a risk?

02-14-2014, 10:25 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't, I repeat, don't wait for or hold out for a Pentax FF camera. It will happen someday, later than we'd like but it will happen. Better to go out and shoot pictures that waste time on endless FF speculation.
02-14-2014, 10:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I don't see a ff happening within the next year for sure. I mean how long have we been talking about ff?
02-14-2014, 10:35 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just another FF thread...

02-14-2014, 10:39 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Just another FF thread...
Then why make a post that makes not contribution to the thread?
02-15-2014, 01:34 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

I really like the K2 D name. It's got very powerful marketing potential, given the name's obvious association with this:

photo by Kuno Lechner from:
K2 mountain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
02-15-2014, 02:40 AM   #10
Inactive Account

I highly doubt there will be a lot people that will pay 2-2.5k $ for a FF camera, so they could use their old film lenses that 99% of the time are not capable of taking the full advantage of the FF sensor + serious CA.
02-15-2014, 03:05 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
I highly doubt there will be a lot people that will pay 2-2.5k $ for a FF camera, so they could use their old film lenses that 99% of the time are not capable of taking the full advantage of the FF sensor + serious CA.
I guess you haven't heard about these new 2-2.5k $ FF cameras called the Sony A7 and A7r.
Lots of people are happily using their old film lenses on their new A7's and A7rs. Sony even bundles adapters.
02-15-2014, 03:06 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks rawr!!! I got my jaws down with this picture you just posted....

I had and sold the original, analog K2 camera, but I will come back to it for sure one day.

As you said - a strong and really powerful name with great potential to show strong PENTAX roots in the legacy and proud history of photography.

I also agree with j2photos - just forgot the reality - first FF camera from Nikon was normal, as was 4 or 5 after it before Df came out. It makes sense.

On the other hand - thinking of a target group for a new Pentax FF DSLR - I'd not make to big fantasies that professionals all over the world will switch to it from Nikon or Canon.
At least not all in the first month. What PENTAX is really good at in my opinion is making perfect photo-aware-enthusiasts cameras (just as K5 I own myself). This K2d would be a real-irresistible market killer in this segment. I'am myself afraid that I'd sell all I can to get it... ;-)
-----------------------------
Sure - it is another FF speculation thread. Thanks God it is not obligatory to anyone :-D

I'd pay 1K$ to play with my old FF lenses - let the SMC-K 135mm f/2,5 be the first. CA is not that big problem nowadays - even smaller if the K2D would have a required data and a software to compensate for it. Ok - old lenses have no electric contacts nor inside MTF/CA/Distortion data embed. But what is actually the problem to put a data library in a new camera body and let the human match the data and the lens.......

I should stop thinkin' of this K2d...... makes me crazy (on the positive side though...).

Last edited by Petrus_One; 02-15-2014 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Additional info.
02-15-2014, 03:21 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It's got very powerful marketing potential, given the name's obvious association with this:
Looks like my backyard.
02-15-2014, 03:54 AM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I guess you haven't heard about these new 2-2.5k $ FF cameras called the Sony A7 and A7r.
Lots of people are happily using their old film lenses on their new A7's and A7rs. Sony even bundles adapters.
A7 and A7r are absolutely different concept from the possible Pentax FF which should be more like nikon D600/800.

And for that kind of camera, you need the best glass (FA ltd's, Sigma EX/Art etc.)
02-15-2014, 04:07 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
FA ltd's
So you are now saying old film lenses are OK after all ...