Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
02-15-2014, 04:35 AM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
So you are now saying old film lenses are OK after all ...
FA Ltd's (and a few other) are exceptions, because they have all the necessary features to compete with the new lenses.

For example, FA 31 can go neck to neck with the Sigma 35 Art. I wonder how many more old film lenses could do that.

02-15-2014, 04:37 AM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
It's always nice to have lots of lenses to choose from. On Nikon Df you can choose from newest high-tech miracles to the glass older than our parents.

Even funny old lenses with small metal tinware sticking up from the aperture ring are APERTURE- priority because someone came to an idea that the Df can have a little retractable sth sticking out from camera body into the tinware resection. I do like this kind of approach. Remember that with modern DSLR's there is a spare second and a touch of a button to change it into full-auto-AF-point-and-shoot!!!

As for old lenses - sharpness pushed to the limits is not all we look for in legacy glass. I have a Pentax-enthusiast friend who attaches and old XIX century Petzval to the front section of Pentax bellows. He says that Takumars are now for him not that thrilling anymore. Lot's to explore still for me!!!!

Last edited by Petrus_One; 03-18-2014 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Adding info/ correction of a text.
02-15-2014, 07:31 AM   #18
Banned

I really like the K2 D name. It's got very powerful marketing potential, given the name's obvious association with this:

photo by Kuno Lechner from:
K2 mountain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Really ? How many people would buy a full frame camera because it's named after a mountain ?
02-15-2014, 01:18 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
How many people would buy a full frame camera because it's named after a mountain ?
It's branding by association. Why use the Marlboro Man to promote cigarettes? ...

And the symbolism is nice - K2 is big, powerful, it's been a tough climb to get there, 2nd tallest mountain in the world, it's a strong outdoors image to make a point about durability and WR etc. The story writes itself.

02-15-2014, 02:06 PM   #20
Banned

It's branding by association. Why use the Marlboro Man to promote cigarettes? ...

And the symbolism is nice - K2 is big, powerful, it's been a tough climb to get there, 2nd tallest mountain in the world, it's a strong outdoors image to make a point about durability and WR etc. The story writes itself.
So a full frame Pentax K-2 would be in more demand than the full frame Pentax K-1 because of a mountain ?
02-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #21
Pentaxian

OK ... "K2" sounds good enough for the mythical unicorn that is the future Pentax FF ... what's the next generation name? "K2.2"; "K2i", "K2___ (fill in the blank) ... kind of looses its "name force" later on down the road, eh?!

It is the product which must sell itself first, and IMHO the name runs far behind that ... Shakespeare had it all wrong: Today = "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers marketing people ..."

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 02-16-2014 at 01:55 AM.
02-15-2014, 02:11 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Really ? How many people would buy a full frame camera because it's named after a mountain ?
It's not the mountain as such but the association with rugged outdoorness and pinnacles and professionalism (even though it may not be a pro camera). It's a good name but it could also work against it in projecting an aura of difficulty or complexity that is otherwise undeserved.

---------- Post added 02-15-2014 at 02:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
OK ... "K2" sounds good enough for the mythical unicorn that is the future Pentax FF ... what's the next generation name? "K2.2"; "K2i", "K2___ (in the blank) ... kind of looses its "name force" later on down the road, eh?!

It is the product which must sell itself first, and IMHO the name runs far behind that ... Shakespeare had it all wrong: Today = "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers marketing people ..."
No, that's far too kind. Lets tie them to the chair and force them to view an endless loop of the crappy TV adverts they insist on confronting the rest of us with!

Last edited by justinr; 02-15-2014 at 02:33 PM.
02-15-2014, 02:29 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Don't, I repeat, don't wait for or hold out for a Pentax FF camera. It will happen someday, later than we'd like but it will happen. Better to go out and shoot pictures that waste time on endless FF speculation.
Well said ... thread can be closed now ... another FF thread eating its tail ... bonne nuit J (and yes I'm grumpy, but not old, yet ... go shoot, go shoot, go shoot ... "I said I know it's only APS-C, but I like it, like it, yes I do ..." ... sorry Rolling Stones)
02-15-2014, 02:39 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IMHO the FF series should be 'L' (x), but we'll know soon enough.
02-15-2014, 09:11 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

I dont get it, if people dont want to talk about possible FF options(imaginary or not) then why not stay out of the FF section?
02-16-2014, 06:43 AM   #26
Banned

[
QuoteQuote:
It's not the mountain as such but the association with rugged outdoorness and pinnacles and professionalism
Oh, sorta like Coors Light .
02-16-2014, 07:10 AM   #27
Pentaxian

[Oh, sorta like Coors Light .
Damn, now you have made me "homesick" and in need to go out a buy a rugged, high-performance FF DSLR ... J
02-16-2014, 10:41 AM   #28

No. Stop re-using model names from existing cameras. It makes trying to buy or find information about the actual, vintage camera much more difficult. Come up with something new for a change instead of just rehashing the same old crap again and again. Goes for a lot of Pentax stuff really.
02-16-2014, 11:06 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul MaudDib Quote
No. Stop re-using model names from existing cameras. It makes trying to buy or find information about the actual, vintage camera much more difficult. Come up with something new for a change instead of just rehashing the same old crap again and again. Goes for a lot of Pentax stuff really.
hehe.. True that... If Pentax-Ricoh releases a full frame camera, the model name should be something new, maybe something like "Pentax FFD" for Full Frame Digital..
02-16-2014, 12:56 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
K-864 would be a good name IMO. (24x36)