Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2014, 08:06 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As sensors get more dense, it makes it difficult and more expensive to get better yields during the manufacturing process. If the brand does not have a strong following, its going to cost even more since higher range volume discounts may not be available. This is the dilemma Ricoh must be facing. Its not an issue for Nikon who have a strong following and has diverse products - some of which can compensate for another model's failure.

02-24-2014, 09:24 AM   #47

K2 taking on K2....unfortunately, this I think would cause some naming convention confusions
02-25-2014, 11:44 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Petrus_One Quote
Hey - it just seems clear that the next DSLR from Pentax should have this name - after a great grandpa' PENTAX K2.

I write this post inspired heavily by new Df FF DSLR from Nikon. I got this camera in my hands few days ago and I was blown up by the look & feel..... and an amazing, TOTAL lens compatibility...... hmmmmm this is actually what we all have in our Pentax DSLR's!

I am a former Nikon user and I have a positive feeling about their products, so I am really happy Nikon made this move that can force Pentax to create a true timeless-new-classic K2d full frame counterpart of a Nikon Df.

One thing that I do wish K2d should have: a new K-mount with mechanical aperture coupler that would bring all K and M series lenses back to Aperture-priority life.

With massive choice of FF legacy lenses - this K2d would have been a real serious-amator market-ruller!!! Paired with students K1000D FF these DSLR's could make a nice revolution on the market. At least I would have a reason to think of another camera - other than my K5/K200d combo.

What you think? ..... another hypothetical FF dream?

I once made my good prediction of a Nikon D200. Why not this time...
Dream on. If there will be a fullframe Pentax, you do not design it to fit M and K lenses if you want to sell any new gear...
02-25-2014, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Dream on. If there will be a fullframe Pentax, you do not design it to fit M and K lenses if you want to sell any new gear...
On the contrary, you would - you would just make new K-mount lenses for the body, and update old ones. Just as Nikon did.

A completely new mount has some merit if you're going MILC only, if you have an AF-enabled K adapter, but for DSLR it would make zero sense to create a whole new mount. No current Pentaxian would have any incentive to upgrade to it over a Canon or Nikon FF, for one thing.

EDIT: I see you mean the coupling to fully use older MF K and M. Well, I still think you would sell more bodies that way than you would lose lens sales, and then once you get that buyer into a FF body (vs Canon/Nikon,) you can depend on a yearly onslaught of never-quenchable LBA to keep them buying new lenses. One can only resist temptation so long, no matter how many older lenses you have.

02-25-2014, 01:16 PM - 2 Likes   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
The K-mount IS a FF mount, so to change it just to intentionally obsolete the lenses I've owned for 30 years will drive me straight to Nikon.

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
On the contrary, you would - you would just make new K-mount lenses for the body, and update old ones. Just as Nikon did.

A completely new mount has some merit if you're going MILC only, if you have an AF-enabled K adapter, but for DSLR it would make zero sense to create a whole new mount. No current Pentaxian would have any incentive to upgrade to it over a Canon or Nikon FF, for one thing.
Yes, offer lenses that are BETTER than existing K-mount lenses in image-making respect. It is self-evident that film era lens designs suffer various faults when used on modern sensors. New lenses that are optimized for a digital sensor - if a good value - will sell well and DRAW NEW BUYERS to the K-mount, which is the entire idea. The autofocus FF lenses I own are currently in production anyway, so no harm there. Manual focus is fun - but it isn't efficient.
03-18-2014, 07:26 PM   #51
Forum Member

Original Poster
I may only guess that some of you people didn't ever put your hands on the original Pentax K2.

I got one, sold it few months ago, got sick after it and now, since last Sunday I am a happy owner of the almost unused velvet black K2 DMD.
Should I mention that for 6 hours I'm even more happy with purely pristine silver K2.......
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is not easy to explain to you why I like this design and NAME so much.

I've let few MX go and never actually cared to much about any LX cameras, but K2 makes my blood runs faster.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As we talk about a legacy traces in the design - take a better look at your K5!!!

Put it next to your Super A/ Super Program: easy to see is the similarity in the design of the shape of the prism cover.
Will you spit now on your K5 now just because it is LEGACY tainted????? :-P

When I found this alikeness - I just understood why I do like my K5 so much.
I like to put both: K5 + Super A to my camera bag. They just fit well.
03-20-2014, 12:12 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The K-mount IS a FF mount, so to change it just to intentionally obsolete the lenses I've owned for 30 years will drive me straight to Nikon.

Yes, offer lenses that are BETTER than existing K-mount lenses in image-making respect. It is self-evident that film era lens designs suffer various faults when used on modern sensors. New lenses that are optimized for a digital sensor - if a good value - will sell well and DRAW NEW BUYERS to the K-mount, which is the entire idea. The autofocus FF lenses I own are currently in production anyway, so no harm there. Manual focus is fun - but it isn't efficient.
Film lenses, suffering, yeah tell me about.

Loads of third party full frame lenses available for the K mount right now.

When you consider how many E mount lenses are available even now, with no third party AF available, didn't stop Sony.

03-21-2014, 12:09 AM   #53
Pentaxian

Any reason for misleading & sensationalizing the title of this post? to get more eyeballs?

You could have better titled it as "K2D - a possible name for new FF from Pentax."

QuoteOriginally posted by Petrus_One Quote
Hey - it just seems clear that the next DSLR from Pentax should have this name - after a great grandpa' PENTAX K2.
03-21-2014, 11:16 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K2 in Japanese means "ass," so it ain't gonna be it. Besides, my sources tell me it is not coming until 2016, given the economic climate of today.
03-22-2014, 09:00 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
K2 in Japanese means "ass," so it ain't gonna be it. Besides, my sources tell me it is not coming until 2016, given the economic climate of today.
What's wrong with the economic climate of today that would push the FF back two years? Sounds like an excuse - or maybe a feint.
03-22-2014, 09:16 AM   #56
Veteran Member

What's wrong with the economic climate of today that would push the FF back two years? Sounds like an excuse - or maybe a feint.
'economic climate'. bwah hahahahahahaha.
03-22-2014, 11:53 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The most hated economic recovery in the history of the western world.
03-23-2014, 10:44 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax for the last several years has survived primarily on excuses.
03-24-2014, 04:59 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Pentax for the last several years has survived primarily on excuses.
Troll Alarm!
03-25-2014, 08:56 AM   #60
wax
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mythguy9 Quote
Yeah, if you exclude the K-01...
And Q(10)(7)