Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you think FF will be announced at Photokina?
Yes 21632.58%
No 44767.42%
Voters: 663. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 125 Likes Search this Thread
06-12-2014, 04:17 PM   #151
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
To succeed, their FF must be a game changer in some way to be able to ride the wave of the cruel fact that there are not many FF lenses for it. Or, the only way I dare to imagine it is a form of a subsystem with just a handful of excellent lenses, and that it gives something their own K-3 and all current FFs cannot. So what is that extra?
The select-able AA filter on the K-3 is not really needed, but on a 24MP FF it would really stand out as a useful feature. The in-body IS is only available in one other FF body (A99). It doesn't need to be a game changer, it just need to be an excellent camera for the money. The A99II is rumored to be coming with a new 24MP sensor with very clean high ISO, so I doubt we see the old D610 sensor.

06-12-2014, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #152
Veteran Member

To succeed, their FF must be a game changer in some way to be able to bear the cruel fact that there are not many FF lenses for it.
You always make it sound so hard, so unattainable, for Pentax to make a FF.

For me it's simple - they have all that they need already to launch a FF:
- decent sensor tech via Sony (24MP, 36MP, 12MP - take your pick);
- decent AF and metering via K-3 (certainly better AF and metering than the 6D);
- decent range of accessories and add-ons;
- enough Pentax and 3rd party FF lenses already available to launch with.

If they dont have a complete FF dedicated lens line up on day 1, they can just do a Fuji or Sony and say we promise to have more lenses for the system in 6-12 months. Meanwhile people can use the existing excellent dedicated FA and DFA primes from Pentax and Sigma (inc the excellent Sigma 35 1.4 and 85 1.4) and excellent FF zooms from Sigma too (eg 70-200 2.8). It would be enough for a creditable launch. Bingo.
06-12-2014, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #153
Veteran Member

There's a zillion FF lenses. They need to come out with a couple of zooms (hey, there's a few zooms on the roadmap now!) and they're fine with a K-3 + FF sensor.

For what it's worth the rumor mill says that Sigma will have a new 24-70...
06-12-2014, 11:46 PM   #154

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
What do you think if Pentax will bring a step like the K-5,but in Fullframe?
A Camera body like K-3,Sensor 24MP Sony last edition and a HighIso wonder like the K-5?
We should not believe that Pentax will bring 36MP like Nikon,cause there is a wonderfull 645Z,so 24MP with an outstanding iso range and highest quality with a price around 2000$ should be the optimum.
Best Body in this range,like K-3 in aps-c range,best sensor iso like the old K-5 in his time,silent and fast.

Best regards
I'd think that they would get two checks from me (and more for new lenses), instead of me fleeing to another brand

06-13-2014, 12:38 AM - 1 Like   #155
Banned

A Telezoom and a 70-200 are in sight.
Yeah, I've seen you mention them before, but thanks for the reminder.

I think they will need a few more high quality lenses than JUST a 70-200 and a telezoom though

I'm a wedding photographer, so a quality 24-70 f2.8, and some fast, quality primes (preferably f1.4 or f1.8) with silent autofocus are must-have lenses for my kit-bag (as well as the 70-200, of course). I already have some Sigma lenses that cover those requirements, but the WR of Pentax models is a real plus (and I know this from experience).

I think Pentax might be surprised by the sales from wedding shooters if they introduced a FF 24MP version of K-3 at $2000, with an attractive lens offering (as I outlined above) to go with it.

I've seen you mention elsewhere that the FA Ltd's have ceased production. Have you come across any rumour of replacements?

---------- Post added 06-13-14 at 05:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
D610 - D7100 = $700.

I think Pentax could charge a $800-900 premium all day long, but Nikon doesn't, FYI.

I was referring to what many people (myself included) would be willing to pay, over and above the price of the K-3. Nikon's pricing was not the topic of discussion.

Why must you split every hair you come across?!!! I find it tedious, argumentative, and it adds nothing to an otherwise enjoyable discussion.

FYI

---------- Post added 06-13-14 at 06:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
You always make it sound so hard, so unattainable, for Pentax to make a FF.

For me it's simple - they have all that they need already to launch a FF:
- decent sensor tech via Sony (24MP, 36MP, 12MP - take your pick);
- decent AF and metering via K-3 (certainly better AF and metering than the 6D);
- decent range of accessories and add-ons;
- enough Pentax and 3rd party FF lenses already available to launch with.

If they dont have a complete FF dedicated lens line up on day 1, they can just do a Fuji or Sony and say we promise to have more lenses for the system in 6-12 months. Meanwhile people can use the existing excellent dedicated FA and DFA primes from Pentax and Sigma (inc the excellent Sigma 35 1.4 and 85 1.4) and excellent FF zooms from Sigma too (eg 70-200 2.8). It would be enough for a creditable launch. Bingo.
Amen!

I've been saying the same for quite some time.

I would add that they have been quiet on releases of new K-mount lenses for some time now (as Uluru loves to complain about), so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that they've been beavering away at a new line of lenses as well...

Last edited by Poit; 06-13-2014 at 12:52 AM.
06-13-2014, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #156

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
Yeah, I've seen you mention them before, but thanks for the reminder.

I think they will need a few more high quality lenses than JUST a 70-200 and a telezoom though

I'm a wedding photographer, so a quality 24-70 f2.8, and some fast, quality primes (preferably f1.4 or f1.8) with silent autofocus are must-have lenses for my kit-bag (as well as the 70-200, of course). I already have some Sigma lenses that cover those requirements, but the WR of Pentax models is a real plus (and I know this from experience).

I think Pentax might be surprised by the sales from wedding shooters if they introduced a FF 24MP version of K-3 at $2000, with an attractive lens offering (as I outlined above) to go with it.

I've seen you mention elsewhere that the FA Ltd's have ceased production. Have you come across any rumour of replacements?

---------- Post added 06-13-14 at 05:47 PM ----------

I was referring to what many people (myself included) would be willing to pay, over and above the price of the K-3. Nikon's pricing was not the topic of discussion.

Why must you split every hair you come across?!!! I find it tedious, argumentative, and it adds nothing to an otherwise enjoyable discussion.

FYI

---------- Post added 06-13-14 at 06:00 PM ----------

Amen!

I've been saying the same for quite some time.

I would add that they have been quiet on releases of new K-mount lenses for some time now (as Uluru loves to complain about), so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that they've been beavering away at a new line of lenses as well...
I think Pentax might be surprised by the sales from wedding shooters if they introduced a FF 24MP version of K-3 at $2000
Absolutely, the demand for the pentax FF is really high. Not only from the loyal pentaxians who have been waiting endlessly since ages, but also the new comer pentaxians who want to see a compact FF in DSLR body, with weather resistant, speedy AF, and combined with their legendary FA limited. Just make one and see what happen. The feature that might get most attention will be 4K video. But I think it will be too much to keep the price competitive.
06-13-2014, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #157
Veteran Member

I think Pentax might be surprised by the sales from wedding shooters if they introduced a FF 24MP version of K-3 at $2000
Imagine a wedding pro with a 645Z and his second shooter with a Pentax FF or two. What a shooting team that would be.

In the old film days, I actually knew of some guys doing weddings with a Pentax 645 and a couple of P30T's, so there are precedents.

06-13-2014, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #158
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by afan137 Quote
Absolutely, the demand for the pentax FF is really high. Not only from the loyal pentaxians who have been waiting endlessly since ages, but also the new comer pentaxians who want to see a compact FF in DSLR body, with weather resistant, speedy AF, and combined with their legendary FA limited. Just make one and see what happen. The feature that might get most attention will be 4K video. But I think it will be too much to keep the price competitive.
I don't think 4K will add to the price as much as it did in the past since lower cost 4K cameras are now coming out.
06-13-2014, 01:43 PM   #159
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Have you had bad experiences with noisy AF lenses (causing problems), or have you just avoided them from the start?

Of course they could be doing almost nothing right now, but that would be rather silly, wouldn't it? It makes much more sense that they're doing a bunch of work they can't talk about. For all we know they have two FF cameras and two or more FF lenses that aren't anywhere on the road map (plus some roadmap lenses). If I were in charge I'd be creating or re-labeling that essential 24-70/2.8 lens, updating a few FA primes (not just the Ltds), and re-releasing many others in their original form.
06-13-2014, 01:58 PM   #160
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Canon and Ricoh are competitors in a lot of business areas. It would certainly be nice for Pentaxians if Ricoh felt the need to go toe-to-toe with Canon in DSLR cameras

Excellent. Sounds like FF preparations are working to a plan.
Next is the Telezoom,itīs fullframe patent and listed.
Best regards
06-13-2014, 02:31 PM   #161
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Best regards
Yeppers, put your ear to the rail, the FF train is just a few bridges away! Good news.
06-13-2014, 02:38 PM   #162
Pentaxian

Best regards
Nice. But how long until we'll see the camera?
06-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #163
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Yeppers, put your ear to the rail, the FF train is just a few bridges away! Good news.
We have been having good news for yeeeaaars already.

Despite others who want to cheer about this year *must* be the one, I am not buying Asahiman's assertion that this year's Pentax FF will be but a K-3 with a 35mm sensor in it. And that it will be on display. What that says, that it took engineering team 12 months to order a 35 mm sensor and deliver practically same K-3, but for extra $900, 12 months later, and under glass? Really?

I mean, gosh, I really cannot believe what people are willing to buy around here! I don't dismiss Asahiman's good intentions, but his words are vague and totally unbelievable under scrutiny because I think he knows nothing specific about the camera. The K-3 + 35mm sensor is a kind of layman logic that works underneath and can be extrapolated from the 645Z strategy too, but I think it is far from truth. And to which I have tried to explicate above in previous posts. And to conclude, the "K-3 + sensor" can mean just anything. It can be the form factor of K-3, but also, as in case of 645Z, the insides of the K-3 now inside a totally different body. Even the 645Z is "a K-3 plus an MF sensor", isn't it?

Ricoh Imaging has been keeping its audience in total dark regarding everything, and especially regarding any mention or disclosure about the FF. I believe not even their suppliers know what they work on. I'd rather suggest: don't even expect one, least that it looks or works like "this" or "that"; prepare to be disappointed like in all these years before — until proven otherwise.

Last edited by Uluru; 06-13-2014 at 04:34 PM.
06-13-2014, 03:17 PM   #164
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
We have been having good news for yeeeaaars already.

Despite others who want to cheer about this year *must* be the one, I am not buying Asahiman's assertion that this year's Pentax FF will be but a K-3 with a 35mm sensor in it. And that it will be on display. What that says, that it took engineering team 12 months to order a 35 mm sensor and deliver practically same K-3, only 12 months later, and under glass? Really?

I mean, gosh, I really cannot believe what people are willing to buy around here! I don't dismiss Asahiman's good intentions, but his words are vague and totally unbelievable under scrutiny because I think he knows nothing specific about the camera. The K-3 + 35mm sensor is a kind of layman logic that works underneath and can be extrapolated from the 645Z strategy, but I think it is far from truth. And to which I have tried to explicate above in previous posts.
I only saw the patent list,the comming up next lens list and talked about the prototype with a couple of buddys.
So,Ricoh forced the development of a new/better K-3,this what we have now,Ricoh powered up the 645Z project,gives Pentax more than 40 new engineers and since february this year pentax and ricoh has a corporate development office!
Before,ricoh and pentax were using two own offices.

Best regards
06-13-2014, 04:42 PM   #165
Banned

I only saw the patent list,the comming up next lens list and talked about the prototype with a couple of buddys.
So,Ricoh forced the development of a new/better K-3,this what we have now,Ricoh powered up the 645Z project,gives Pentax more than 40 new engineers and since february this year pentax and ricoh has a corporate development office!
Before,ricoh and pentax were using two own offices.

Best regards
I am aware of that, and in fact, the whole of Ricoh is moving offices. It was stated in their annual report and in speeches to their major shareholders. It was not unexpected, because it was a part of their long term plan, and it constituted the majority of efforts Ricoh Imaging has been accomplishing in the last three years: restructuring, moving offices, vacuuming, cleaning, changing names, changing roadmaps, etc.

Last edited by Uluru; 06-13-2014 at 04:48 PM.