Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you think FF will be announced at Photokina?
Yes 21632.58%
No 44767.42%
Voters: 663. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2014, 12:43 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
plus someone's 24-70 in the Pentax mount,
I had the same idea before, but somebody in the forum said Pentax is unlikely to sell FF body just to encourage users to buy 3rd party lenses...

02-17-2014, 01:13 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
I'm 50/50, but I hope so, so I voted yes. They've held off for so long...meanwhile Sony has blasted it's way through FF mirrorless, and Sigma and Zeiss have redefined optics for the next/current generation.

I'm tempted to jump ship on the A7, or at least the next iteration of it. IMO, in addition to a FF, Pentax needs to release some top-tier FF limited lenses to combat the recent offerings especially that Zeiss 50/1.8 Sonnar...so tempting...
The others have made quite good points on Sony (and their cameras).

IMO, (A7 owner BTW), only the FE 55/1.8 is 'maybe' worth the money (and thats a f1.8, 55mm and rather big and costly for 55mm f1.8s )
The FE35 is a lens thats too dependent on software manipulations for its price. (edge/corners are -2.6EV off wide open).
But thats how some makers are going for lenses nowadays.
And its also a f2.8, pricey (for what needs so much software correction), its small though.
FE 24-70 f4, soft at the edges and soft at 70mm (again forgivable if it was cheaper, but its not)
No UWA and portrait prime option at all for now too. (perhaps until 2015.. )

So my advise is to see what you are jumping to (a pirate ship )
Maybe you'd like to be a pirate and thats fine too.

For MF lenses, its the best thing yet.

Pentax has an opportunity for sure to come out with a true smallish FF camera (be it DSLR or MILC).
In camera SR.
Nice, largely optically corrected lenses (some like the FA ltd and DA*, etc are already 'there')
Proper camera that has the features and 'workflow' that is catered for the photographer (the Sony is more like a electronic gadget with all options thrown in and some things don't 'jive')

That said, with a camera like the A7 which takes all Pentax lenses via adapter, I find that I have freed myself from that pensive hope for a Pentax FF.
If it comes, I will get one within a year of saving up.
If it never comes, I don't care either, picking up the aps-c camera every now and then at the end of the product cycle for my AF lenses.
02-17-2014, 03:00 AM - 3 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

I voted yes. I think it will be in a glass box saying: Look out, I'll be out off the box in 2015!
02-17-2014, 03:16 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter

Since Ricoh is beating the Pentax/Hoya pipeline to death, and pretty much green lighting EVERYTHING that was in development (a.k.a. the new slide/negative duplicator) before they took over, it is inevitable they will finally get around to the Grand-Daddy of them all, the failed MZ-D.

Since everything is in place as Sony is making everything full frame, and the competition is too, I find it hard to believe that Ricoh wouldn't announce a FF camera in some shape of form within the year (or ever within the next couple of months).

The K3 has shown that Pentaxians want more "Pro" cameras, and the "toys", while they might sell in Japan, just don't have what it takes to take Ricoh to the next level.

Yes, I am convinced that Ricoh is finally clearing out the last of the Pentax projects, and FF should be imminent - unless of course there are some toys or "low hanging fruit" in the closet that we do not know about.

02-17-2014, 03:53 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mythguy9 Quote
I had the same idea before, but somebody in the forum said Pentax is unlikely to sell FF body just to encourage users to buy 3rd party lenses...
That's clearly not a long-term option, but if you look at how the DA line has developed over time, you can see that 3rd party lenses filled the gaps there, along with older K-mount or even M42 lenses, while the replacement DAs were developed. Don't expect to see a lot of new 35FF lenses released along with a new body just a few vital ones and a roadmap, and that's all that's needed at first, along with a commitment to developing the line.
02-17-2014, 04:18 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Sony took some time filing gaps in it's FF lenses line-up. Ricoh will need to take time too.
02-17-2014, 07:28 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Voted "oui" half-heartedly ... in hopes that it will happen much sooner than later. Personally, I think that they been backed into the wall by the competition/technology advancements to such a degree that they have to say something "definitive" ... at least something like, "It's coming and will be available by x date". IMHO they can no longer remain "silent" on this issue and their ostrich approach since the take-over is no longer a valid "time buying" tactic ... As the French say, "On verra ..." J
02-17-2014, 08:56 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
According to some who seem to be 'in the know' Pentax had a lot of good projects that Hoya stopped. Ricoh seems to have picked them up again, made them better or more efficient to manufacture, but that has delayed their final release. I think what we eventually get will be very, very good for the price - but not the absolute best - and people will complain about it, as they do with almost everything Ricoh/Pentax does.

02-17-2014, 09:03 AM   #24

I think Ricoh has no plan at all for going FF ... "they are looking into it" - to let us hope for FF and not jump ship.
02-17-2014, 09:28 AM   #25
Veteran Member

For twitter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Spaces and caps incorrect. It's one word.

PentaxIsDoomed
#PentaxIsDoomed

02-17-2014, 09:47 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I *think* they will. I *think* that new 70-200ish lens is a good indication that they will.

It would not surprise me if they didn't though.
02-17-2014, 02:37 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Yes, but I voted no . . . so really don't know. Hope so!

This is starting to rhyme.
02-17-2014, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

... and I know it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
Yes, but I voted no . . . so really don't know. Hope so!

This is starting to rhyme.
As you know
If the price is low
But the results are so-so
It's a no-go.

And can sales really grow
With AF so slow?
We don't have money to blow!

02-17-2014, 04:00 PM   #29
Banned

If it's a mirrorless full frame with adjustable angle OLED EVF , 4K 60p with support for UHS-II SDXC cards I will be interested.
02-17-2014, 04:37 PM   #30
Emperor and Senpai

That would likely be quite expensive.