Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you think FF will be announced at Photokina?
Yes 21632.58%
No 44767.42%
Voters: 663. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 125 Likes Search this Thread
07-30-2014, 08:48 AM   #406
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldhand Quote
Sure we do - 50.1 megapixels of glorious Pentax 645 ................
That's not even full frame

07-30-2014, 09:03 AM   #407
Pentaxian

Full frame is the film sheet from which all formats are cut
07-30-2014, 10:16 AM   #408
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Full frame is the film sheet from which all formats are cut
Seriously, most of NY photographer Gregory Crewdson's work was done on an 8x10 sheet film camera, then scanned to produce digital files that could then be printed to poster size images. Exposure times were typically 1 sec for his 8x10 shooting. Us lesser mortals quibble over aps or FF, the professionals find a way to get it done (i bought this documentary "brief encounters" from Amazon and then showed it at a workshop to club members. Shooters who are into "story telling" loved it. So Zack has a point or two.

http://www.amazon.com/Gregory-Crewdson-Encounters-Russell-Banks/dp/B00CIWABI...rief+encounter

---------- Post added 07-30-14 at 10:34 AM ----------

I hope that those wanting a Pentax FF get that camera. But even if Ricoh doesn't make one this year, I feel really good about Ricoh's presence in the MF marketplace. And the more time they have there without much competition, then the more lenses they can make and have on the shelf. MF is for the long term.
07-31-2014, 09:22 AM   #409

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Seriously, most of NY photographer Gregory Crewdson's work was done on an 8x10 sheet film camera, then scanned to produce digital files that could then be printed to poster size images. Exposure times were typically 1 sec for his 8x10 shooting. Us lesser mortals quibble over aps or FF, the professionals find a way to get it done (i bought this documentary "brief encounters" from Amazon and then showed it at a workshop to club members. Shooters who are into "story telling" loved it. So Zack has a point or two.

http://www.amazon.com/Gregory-Crewdson-Encounters-Russell-Banks/dp/B00CIWABI...rief+encounter

---------- Post added 07-30-14 at 10:34 AM ----------

I hope that those wanting a Pentax FF get that camera. But even if Ricoh doesn't make one this year, I feel really good about Ricoh's presence in the MF marketplace. And the more time they have there without much competition, then the more lenses they can make and have on the shelf. MF is for the long term.
From the same source (Asahi man) no FF body this year. If one following dpreview, he said clearly what pentax ricoh will release this year.
Re: Pentax FullFrame...: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

It is disappointing news for somebody who wait, me included (

07-31-2014, 09:28 AM   #410
Pentaxian

Well getting 2 new lenses + upgrade of several existing ones beats FF release IMHO.
07-31-2014, 10:38 AM   #411

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
Well getting 2 new lenses + upgrade of several existing ones beats FF release IMHO.
Agreed, certainly a better way to go. The same source earlier hinted at prototypes up and running, so the wait continues. Most likely the market and their ability to compete effectively and profitably is the big dictator. I'm sure a few more will jump ship in the meantime and Pentax have figured that may well be the case.
07-31-2014, 11:02 AM   #412
Veteran Member

FF is better than 2 lenses for me.

FF gives me ~10 'new lenses', for free. Yay!

08-01-2014, 03:12 PM   #413
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by afan137 Quote
From the same source (Asahi man) no FF body this year. If one following dpreview, he said clearly what pentax ricoh will release this year.
Re: Pentax FullFrame...: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

It is disappointing news for somebody who wait, me included (
To clarify, he said no FF body (but there might be information) at Photokina.

There is 3 months (or 1/4) of 2014 left to play out after Photokina.

I might be (probably am) clutching at straws, but the devil is in the detail
08-01-2014, 03:55 PM   #414
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
To clarify, he said no FF body (but there might be information) at Photokina.

There is 3 months (or 1/4) of 2014 left to play out after Photokina.

I might be (probably am) clutching at straws, but the devil is in the detail
Well I think it's very simple, if it isn't in Cologne then we have to at least wait until http://www.cpplus.jp/en/ but only if the camera is almost ready and market developement, production or systemdevelopement (lenses) need at least that time.
08-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #415
Veteran Member

If Pentax doesn't have a FF body to show, then they should have waited on the other announcements that they made. What will be the draw to the Pentax booth? New color for the K-3? 645z is already shipping and in stock at B&H. Going to the biggest show with only the Q replacement?
08-01-2014, 07:09 PM   #416
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Last year, only two weeks before the announcement of K-3, nobody really knew anything about the K-3. People only speculated a little. Then a week before the announcement, there were some pictures (taken with a smartphone) circling around, and many believed they were fake. (remember the K-3 stereo jack saga?)

Similarly, remember the September 5th 2013 BIG announcement? Nothing was there: only little Theta was announced. And who ever heard of Theta?

In light of all that, I dare to say that Ricoh is in total control of things. Rumour mongers and prophets fail, each and every time. I personally don't trust them but rather suggest, folks, let's wait and see.
08-01-2014, 07:14 PM   #417
mee
Veteran Member

If there is a dFF in the works in K mount, I hope it is released sooner than later... so it can age sooner than later... so it can hit the used market sooner than later.. so I can buy it at discount sooner than later.
08-01-2014, 09:00 PM   #418
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
In light of all that, I dare to say that Ricoh is in total control of things. Rumour mongers and prophets fail, each and every time. I personally don't trust them but rather suggest, folks, let's wait and see.
I'm inclined to agree, Ricoh has a pretty tight reign on things and in the absence of any firm indicators it's all guesswork.

For the record, though, my very own rumour last year: "new camera before Christmas" (which was sourced from a coversation I had with CRK) turned out to be true, so the rumour-mongers don't fail every time...
08-01-2014, 09:14 PM   #419
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
I'm inclined to agree, Ricoh has a pretty tight reign on things and in the absence of any firm indicators it's all guesswork.

For the record, though, my very own rumour last year: "new camera before Christmas" (which was sourced from a coversation I had with CRK) turned out to be true, so the rumour-mongers don't fail every time...
CRK is hardly a rumour monger; they are authorised resellers for a whole continent, and they at least know they will get "some new K-mount camera" if they don't know all the specifics ...
08-02-2014, 04:03 AM - 1 Like   #420
Banned

But it wasn't CRK who posted on this site...that was me (and as I recall you made fun of me at the time...but of course I had the last laugh, and enjoyed it immensely).

Other posters on this site may have similar conversations with distributors. Just saying, not all your so-called 'rumour-mongers' who post here are wrong, or have bad sources.

You really should get off your high horse dude.