Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you think FF will be announced at Photokina?
Yes 21632.58%
No 44767.42%
Voters: 663. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 125 Likes Search this Thread
09-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #706

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Lenses are where the money is at for a company to survive, so the people who are sitting on a shelf full of existing K-mount glass don't represent a lot of potential dollars.
I disagree. The only reason I've bought four new Pentax lenses (over the last two years) is that I moved into Pentax bodies because of the legacy glass. If I go over to Sony, I'm not buying any new Pentax lenses. I'll keep playing around in flea markets for old k mount lenses, but all of the real spending will go to Sony. The legacy glass issue is part of attracting new buyers and keeping current buyers. I'm wholeheartedly with you on new technology, and I don't mind radical change, but this notion that's out there, that legacy K mount glass is somehow the enemy, it is incorrect. When people buy brand new cameras, they also buy brand new lenses. You can't get it all without a new lens, no matter how much old glass is on the shelf.

09-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #707
Site Supporter

I still will stick to my guns that Pentax needs longer zooms. I know a 150-600 is doable, and id love seeing someone come up with a 250-750. If someone does, and keeps it under 2,000 dollars and decently sharp, something like f/5-6.7, then I k ow what my next purchase would be. Heck, if someone released their 150-600 in K mount I'd buy it.
09-11-2014, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #708
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
For that I do have a great and original plan, and will discus it with Ricoh Imaging at Photokina.
Let me guess....
APS-H

09-11-2014, 11:36 PM - 1 Like   #709
Forum Member

This is the full frame Camera I'd wish Pentax had announced before Photokina. That might be a turning point for me. Well done Nikon!Fast and full-frame: Nikon announces 24MP Nikon D750: Digital Photography Review

09-12-2014, 12:05 AM   #710
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cyril_K5 Quote
This is the full frame Camera I'd wish Pentax had announced before Photokina. That might be a turning point for me. Well done Nikon!Fast and full-frame: Nikon announces 24MP Nikon D750: Digital Photography Review
Yes me too! That is one very cool camera. I don't see if it has AA filter or not. (Edit: It does, but I still can see this as being my next camera if no Pentax FF.)

Some videos:
http://nikonrumors.com/2014/09/12/nikon-d750-promo-product-tour-hands-on-videos.aspx/

Last edited by Tesla; 09-12-2014 at 12:47 AM.
09-12-2014, 01:55 AM - 1 Like   #711
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Let me guess....
APS-H

Not even that......I will work it out this week. Who knows I think they need at least a week to recover from this mad plan.
09-12-2014, 04:16 AM   #712
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not even that......I will work it out this week. Who knows I think they need at least a week to recover from this mad plan.
Your last interview was fantastic. I am actually looking forward to your interview more than to any other.

09-12-2014, 06:54 AM   #713
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Your last interview was fantastic. I am actually looking forward to your interview more than to any other.
Not directly going to make an interview. By now they also know that I do write things up and they end up online. No secrets where revealed on the other hand.
09-12-2014, 08:39 AM   #714
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by easyreeder Quote
Well, that's a suicidal indifference. I'm tired of hearing that we don't matter. If the rationale for no ff is that Pentax can't compete at a reasonable price point, or that they can make an APSC camera that offers something comparable or even better, I'll entertain the argument. But this whole love it or leave it thing is unwise and irritating. People are plenty resourceful, and they don't need to be antagonized. Furthermore, with a shrinking market, having people leave your company—people who are going to be what remains of the market for as long as there is a market—is obviously not a good survival strategy. I forget what the statistic is ... Oh, hmm, found it.

To quote: "The probability of selling to an existing customer is 60 – 70%. The probability of selling to a new prospect is 5-20%" – Marketing Metrics.
Interesting points of view, 'tired', 'suicidal', 'irritating', 'antagonized'.

OTOH, I believe RP listens to their customers, but the bottom line prevails, something you or I don't really control.
09-12-2014, 09:23 AM   #715

QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
Interesting points of view, 'tired', 'suicidal', 'irritating', 'antagonized'.
Hmm, I'm speaking more about the forum discussion than Pentax. I'm weirdly optimistic about Pentax, even as I prepare to buy one of those Sonys that Norm recommends, ha.
09-13-2014, 02:12 PM   #716
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
Pentax is using Sony sensors for 100%
Every current Pentax and the cameras next time,are using Sony sensors.
Still i have not seen the stuff for Photokina,only the lens road map and the line up for next time.
If it is complete on the show,we could see aps-c wideangel zoom,medium telezomm prograde and a tele zoom high grade.
new 645 80-160 wr sr.
Best regards
Quoting for emphasis. Even asahi man claims not to know what they're showing.

Just sayin'
09-13-2014, 04:12 PM   #717
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is true and that's why Pentax should make an APS-H camera inside the K-3 body to give those CaNikon boys one good reason to look into the K-mount.
I don't know how many times you have mentioned this Ron, but it is just a completely silly concept (IMHO). Please see this thread for the history/explanation of why.

QuoteQuote:
Whatsmore, it's only vestigial to Canon , not any other manufacturer!
In biology "vestigial" means "(of an organ or part of the body) degenerate, rudimentary, or atrophied, having become functionless in the course of evolution. Sorta like the appendix. More history of the APS-H here.

Canon is the ONLY manufacturer who made the APS-H (are they still making it? I dunno.) Maybe they have a whole warehouse full that they'd sell cheap.) But no other sensor manufacturer is going to retool to make a completely different size of sensor from their current offering. I can't image the cost of doing that and there is no demand to do that (other than your advocating for it). This is a sensor that remains in (i think) ONE Canon body. Not sure how you think it would give Canon boys a reason to look at K-mount (let alone Nikon boys). It is all about mount of the glass you own and the flange to sensor distance. The size of the sensor is secondary to that, particularly when you are talking about the tweener APS-H size.

In any event, do we want a Ricoh/Pentax with the 1DS Mk iV sensor? I certainly don't. It's technology that is: a year older than the original Pentax K-5.

For grins, let's compare the 2010 K-5 (APS-C Sony sensor) with the 2009 Canon 1DS Mk IV (APS-H Canon sensor):
Canon EOS 1Dx versus Pentax K5 versus Canon EOS 1D Mark IV - Side by side camera comparison - DxOMark

It's not going to happen.
Honestly, I don't think there is a person in the world who is advocating for it to happen beside you.

Last edited by cheekygeek; 09-13-2014 at 04:41 PM.
09-13-2014, 10:15 PM   #718
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote

Canon is the ONLY manufacturer who made the APS-H (are they still making it? I dunno.) Maybe they have a whole warehouse full that they'd sell cheap.) But no other sensor manufacturer is going to retool to make a completely different size of sensor from their current offering.
Actually the Leica M8 has a ASP-H sensor in it made by Kodak. There are at least 3 different companies that produced ASP-H sensors. You also have companies like CMOSIS who produce pretty high quality sensor in any format you want. Canon is NOT the ONLY manufacturer who made or even makes ASP-H sensor.

Last edited by Winder; 09-14-2014 at 06:57 AM.
09-13-2014, 10:43 PM   #719
Veteran Member

I don't know. The total market is so weak that prize drops are enevatable.

Looking at a search, only aps-c body only from CaNiPen then the K-3 is even more expensive then the 7D.

De nieuwste digitale camera's koopt u bij CameraNU.nl

You can buy lots of olders models if you look around.
Average price of a new camera per camera sold is going up.

Not sure if that's relevant to you...

---------- Post added 09-13-14 at 10:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by easyreeder Quote
The K3 is a newer camera than the 7D, and to my mind outspecs it and outperforms it. I shoot with a friend who has a 7D. But the K3 is a much newer camera, and the better comparison will be to the 7Dii, which is about to come out. I don't think the 7Dii has a price yet. I'll bet you a hundred bucks it's higher than the current price of the K3.
MUCH newer. I think the 7D was 2009.

The K-5 was intro'd after the 7D. Since then we've gone through about 5 iterations of K-5 lite and finally the K-3.

I don't know if the K-3 autofocus stacks up to the 7D - I kinda doubt it - but in all other regards the K-3 crushes the 7D. No comparison.
09-14-2014, 02:46 AM   #720
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote
I don't know how many times you have mentioned this Ron, but it is just a completely silly concept (IMHO). Please see this thread for the history/explanation of why.

In biology "vestigial" means "(of an organ or part of the body) degenerate, rudimentary, or atrophied, having become functionless in the course of evolution. Sorta like the appendix. More history of the APS-H here.

Canon is the ONLY manufacturer who made the APS-H (are they still making it? I dunno.) Maybe they have a whole warehouse full that they'd sell cheap.) But no other sensor manufacturer is going to retool to make a completely different size of sensor from their current offering. I can't image the cost of doing that and there is no demand to do that (other than your advocating for it). This is a sensor that remains in (i think) ONE Canon body. Not sure how you think it would give Canon boys a reason to look at K-mount (let alone Nikon boys). It is all about mount of the glass you own and the flange to sensor distance. The size of the sensor is secondary to that, particularly when you are talking about the tweener APS-H size.

In any event, do we want a Ricoh/Pentax with the 1DS Mk iV sensor? I certainly don't. It's technology that is: a year older than the original Pentax K-5.

For grins, let's compare the 2010 K-5 (APS-C Sony sensor) with the 2009 Canon 1DS Mk IV (APS-H Canon sensor):
Canon EOS 1Dx versus Pentax K5 versus Canon EOS 1D Mark IV - Side by side camera comparison - DxOMark

It's not going to happen.
Honestly, I don't think there is a person in the world who is advocating for it to happen beside you.
A nice read. There is one issue. Calling a succesfull camera an anomality isn't smart. The aps-h was succesfull, so there is no reason to think why it couldn't be in the future.

Stop comparing old Canon sensor technology with modern Sony sensors. If I ask for aps-h I don't want Canon to make it, I just want a 20 megapixel cut out of the new 645Z sensor. So that wil be hands down the best sensor in any K-mount camera, better then K-5 and K-3.