Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you think FF will be announced at Photokina?
Yes 21632.58%
No 44767.42%
Voters: 663. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 125 Likes Search this Thread
05-22-2014, 09:18 PM   #76
pdo

here we go again about Pentax FF.. so tired of waiting..Time to jump ship to Nikon..

05-23-2014, 02:40 AM - 1 Like   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pdo Quote
here we go again about Pentax FF.. so tired of waiting..Time to jump ship to Nikon..
Well hurry up please, because you know it will arrive as soon as you jump, and we're all waiting for it!
05-23-2014, 06:34 AM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
On a financial risk basis, if I were a brand/ product manager at RP, I would push lenses (long tele and longer macro, both of which could be FF), Longer tele for 645z, and then the glass for FF (28-70 f2.8, 70-210 f2.8, 300 f2.8 with a MMult, 400 f4). There is NO reason to offer a FF body with other than Big Aperture glass, as the market and plenty of APSc pros will tell you. FF at CanNikon, are almost farsical and used to hype enthusiasts. Pure hot air. Most any optical engineer or photologist that is not "biased" can lay it out. So AFTER they launch the 4 new "big eyes" it would then make sense to launch a FF DSLR. Many of us would buy a FF body to use the FA*s we own, see if it is better, and then make a decision. But remember the physics.... To be "worth it" for many pros, the FF has to have 50+mp to offer the same fine detail as a K-3. Boring case, I know, but based in the math and what sells as a pro.
05-23-2014, 09:23 AM   #79
Veteran Member

FF probably needs about 16-18MP to offer the same detail as the K-3.

There's several reasons to offer a FF body, among them cheaper glass for consumers. Granted, I'm not sure Pentax is really thrilled with that idea.

05-23-2014, 09:58 AM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agreed. The 24 FA* F2 was ok but I like your numbers better...

I believe the "cheaper glass" from the secondary market or the SigTokTams is true. I just dont think "pros" woulf flip to a FF Pentax body knowing what they would pay for FA*s. The third party offerings are ok, but limited in several key areas (150mm+ Macros, Tam 150-600, 400 f4 or 5.6, etc. Great points though.
06-06-2014, 03:30 AM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm not trying to fan the FF rumors, but just reporting what I heard yesterday. I purchased some items at my local camera store outside of Washington, DC, Ace Photo. They are a very large retailer and actually have decent counter space. Anyway, the owner did tell me the Pentax will be releasing a FF camera and it will announced at Photokina. Plus, they will be bringing back a number of older FF lenses. He is a Pentax shooter, using the 645D. Ace is very well connected with all the brands and I hope what he told me is for real!
06-06-2014, 04:59 AM   #82

Photos: Gallery
I would be ecstatic at the news of a FF announcement, but...

Pentax did not announce neither the 120-380mm, nor the successor of the K-50 this year, which leave me fearing that they will only announce those at photokina...

06-06-2014, 05:06 AM   #83
Pentaxian

I find it unlikely that the store owner had any reliable information about a Photokina launch. Most likely, it's wishful thinking transformed into rumors.
This is the 645Z year; don't expect any other flagships.
06-06-2014, 05:10 AM   #84
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EricBrown Quote
I'm not trying to fan the FF rumors, but just reporting what I heard yesterday. I purchased some items at my local camera store outside of Washington, DC, Ace Photo. They are a very large retailer and actually have decent counter space. Anyway, the owner did tell me the Pentax will be releasing a FF camera and it will announced at Photokina. Plus, they will be bringing back a number of older FF lenses. He is a Pentax shooter, using the 645D. Ace is very well connected with all the brands and I hope what he told me is for real!
Thanks for your post/info ... (fingers crossed) J
06-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The original 645D was launched in the spring of the same year (2010) that the K-5 was launched at Photokina. 645 development doesn't preclude anything about the K-mount line, especially since no new lenses were announced with the 645Z.
06-06-2014, 12:54 PM   #86
Pentaxian

I'm talking about what will happen this year.
Well, we had an APS-C flagship at the end of 2013, and a medium format one will soon make its way on the market. They have to launch non-flagship cameras, too, right?
06-06-2014, 03:40 PM   #87
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I find it unlikely that the store owner had any reliable information about a Photokina launch. Most likely, it's wishful thinking transformed into rumors.
Unless the old sea dog Pentax is now involved in ship building.
Maybe we can see some cameras instead.
06-06-2014, 04:02 PM   #88

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Yes.

Others may have inside information, which I don't have. But looking at it logically, they've had enough time to develop the camera. The only thing holding them back should be the lenses.

Pentax recently put a ~70-200 * lens on the roadmap. Tokina just showed a 24-70/2.8 they said they'll announce at Photokina: New Tokina AT-X PRO 24-70mm f/2.8 SD (IF) FX lens spotted at CP+ | Photo Rumors

So if Pentax has the 70-200, plus someone's 24-70 in the Pentax mount, they'll be ready to release the camera. They already have 3 FA Ltds, a few DFA lenses, and at least 3 FF ready DA lenses I can think of off of the top of my head (DA*55, DA*200, DA*300). The only thing missing is a wide angle lens or wide zoom, which may already be on the roadmap (in any case, all they need is something like Tokina's current 16-28/2.8 FX lens to fill this role). And if they're smart, they have a whole stable of quality FA glass they can pull from and bring a few of them back - whether in revised form or just as they were.
are you sure the da*300 works on a FF just like a FF lens would?
06-06-2014, 04:29 PM   #89

With all the success Pentax has had during the 35mm film era... a FF would be the best decision they made in decades.
06-06-2014, 05:24 PM   #90
Banned

My simple thoughts on the matter....Pentax/Ricoh probably have everything (or nearly everything) in place to launch a FF, including what it's main features/selling points will be, and a new lens lineup, it's just a matter of when would be best to do so.

Points for a Photokina 2014 Announcement:

- Pentax/Ricoh have been making waves in the photo-world in the past six months. The K-3 was critically acclaimed as 'taking on the big two' in the high-end APS-C market.The 645z has now shaken up conventional thinking, and again taken on the big two (this time their own flagship D4 and 1D cameras) for studio and other ultra-high quality photography. When you have momentum like that, do you sit on your laurels and let everyone respond? I think now, while the Pentax name is getting some attention, is the PERFECT time to hit the market with a new (and different) FF offering;

- Pentax/Ricoh have shown at least some of their hand in strategy terms. There remains one glaring gap in their capability (fast, high ISO capable, photojournalistic and wedding photography friendly...with fast lenses to suit). Nail that with an attractive offering and they're REALLY going to be in the game;

- It's quite clear they have the technical ability to produce a great FF camera now (just look at k-3 and 645z). I don't buy the 'not enough lenses' argument. They've had plenty of time to develop lenses since they first (publicly) announced FF was in development in 2012, and as others on this forum regularly comment (or complain), they haven't released any NEW k-mount designs for quite some time. Wonder why? If they are so devoted to k-mount, what could theypossibly be working on?;

- Photokina is the biggest international photography show, and only happens every two years. All eyes in photography world are on that show, so big announcements are usually made there. If they say they are going to do FF (which they do) 2014 is MUCH more likely than 2016.

Points Against Photokina 2014 announcement:

- Photokina is the biggest international photography show, and only happens every two years. All eyes in photography world are on that show, so big announcements are usually made there. Why make a big announcement and risk getting drowned out but all the others? Maybe early 2015 would be better?;

- MONEY! I don't know what the financials of the Ricoh Imaging group are, but some business-minded folk on this forum enjoy pointing out that it's expensive to put new things into production. If this is really a factor for Ricoh, then it's not so much about Photokina 2014, but if it is realistic to produce a FF ever (given my comments above about now being the perfect time). Unfortunately, money can often be the determining factor; and

- The 645z has just been released, and touted in sales literature as 'so much better than 35mm FF'. Maybe releasing a FF shortly afterwards will not only sound contradictory, but impact on sales of 645z. An interesting trade-off with my "hit the market now, when you're in the ascendency" argument.

Just my armchair analysis on the current state of play. I remain as confused but quietly hopeful as everyone else.

Last edited by Poit; 06-06-2014 at 05:38 PM.