Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you think FF will be announced at Photokina?
Yes 21632.58%
No 44767.42%
Voters: 663. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2014, 09:01 AM   #106
Forum Member

It is quite possible they release a Full Frame DSLR.
But, I'm not sure if that is part of their goal.

They seem to be interested in delivering the best APS-C on the market and designing great glass to go with it.
What makes me excited about a full frame Pentax is that, honestly speaking, I don't believe Nikon and Canon would be able to compete with it.

Some of the things I LOVE about Pentax
1. Feels rugged. Not cheap like a Canon
2. Built in Shake Reduction (not an additional $200 per lens)
3. Built in Auto Focus
4. The best "handling" of any camera I've used. Just simple to use and change settings with.
5. Weather Sealed/Resistant
6. The colors and dynamic range compete with the BEST cameras in the business
7. I could go on and on.

If they release a full frame version of their K-3, and keep the price under $2000, they would have no competition.

That said, I doubt they will announce one. Pentax/Ricoh doesn't appear to be very ambitious. No doubts that have looked into this and discussed it.
I'm sure they have concerns that they will be unable to compete.
The entire DSLR market is apparently not doing so well. Yet another reason they may hold off on announcing a FF.
I wouldn't be surprised if a FF camera wasn't even in their business model or part of their long term plans.

Regardless, I had a full frame Canon. I prefer my APS-C Pentax.
Truth me told, I would LOVE a FF Pentax....

06-07-2014, 06:11 PM - 2 Likes   #107
Pentaxian

If they won't announce an FF DSLR at Photokina 2014 then I won't be buying a Pentax FF this year.

That'll teach them...
06-07-2014, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
If they won't announce an FF DSLR at Photokina 2014 then I won't be buying a Pentax FF this year.

That'll teach them...
I think I'll be a Pentax casualty if they don't have one this year. Sigma is allegedly putting out a new 24-70 this summer, and given their recent lenses, I expect good things.
06-08-2014, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #109
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rees Hennar Quote
Kleinbildformat muß technisch nicht unbedingt sein, da der APS- Sensor auch seine Vorteile hat. Brennweitenverlängerung - Brennweite x1,5, Tiefenschärfe bei Offenblende - Blende x 1,5. Da jedoch so viele danach lechzen, sollte Pentax, einfach, um nicht noch mehr Anhänger zu verlieren, auch wenigstens eine Kamera im Vollformat bringen.
Ich bleibe bei der K-5, da diese sogar noch eine bessere Bildqualität hat, als die k-3. http://www.dxomark.com/.../Pentax-K-3-versus-Pentax-K5...
vollformat ist mehr ein Werbegag von Nikon und Canon. OK, wer unbedingt Nachts fotografieren will und dann nur noch Schärfentiefe im mm-Bereich nutzen will ...
Thanks for your input. Next time could you please post so the rest of us can read it without going through Google Translate?

As to your comment, many photographers have found FF to be very useful. I believe it's far from a "publicity stunt." The ability to shoot indoors with poor lighting (not just outdoors "in the dark") is often important. Narrow DOF is also useful (granted, it gets overused sometimes - this is especially noticeable in some DSLR videos, such as interviews where a slight movement of the subject's head can become a little distracting).

06-09-2014, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #110
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Spaces and caps incorrect. It's one word.

PentaxIsDoomed
You both are so right,PentaxIsDoomed

Best regards
06-09-2014, 03:35 PM - 2 Likes   #111

I voted yes. There are two reasons (three really) I think it will happen:

First; The mysterious "* tele zoom" 70-200 lens on the road map. On last years road map the projected * lens was clearly identified as a "DA* Zoom". This year, the DA is "conveniently" missing. This focal range is ideal off a FF and is, I believe, a hidden signal as to an imminent FF release.

Second, a 36 mp FF would fit perfectly in their top end body line up. 24mp APSC, "36 mp FF", 51mp medium format. MSRP Pricing could fall out as $1200, $3500, $8500. At $3500 (+/- $1000) a pentax FF would be very competitive against the CaNikon offerings.

And third, I have hope. Ricoh seams to be injecting life and vigor into the pentax name and line much more so than Hoya did.

Here's to hoping. 👍👍
06-09-2014, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #112
mee
Veteran Member

I'd expect to see, if released this year, the FF body simply being a K-3 with a FF sensor, essentially. Maybe a few modifications / upgrades (improved AF?) but essentially a FF K-3.

With that in mind, I don't see it being priced at 3500 USD. That is sky high. I'd think 3000 max. But really closer to 2000-2500 range.

Guess we'll see soon either way. Wow almost here in 3 months.. this year is flying by..

06-09-2014, 05:51 PM   #113
Veteran Member

D800E is $3300.

I don't think I'd pay that for a Pentax full frame (a year ago I would've, gladly), but it's certainly a justified price in the marketplace.
06-09-2014, 06:21 PM   #114
Veteran Member

I'm willing to give Ricoh a pass for at least one more year. How much of 'Hoya' was really Pentax pre-Hoya? How much of 'Ricoh' is really Penatx during Hoya's reign?

...If we want to figure out why there's no products right now... we need to go back 1 to 4 years ago. Ricoh took over 2.5 years ago, so figure they really have only had about 2 years to work with. That would mean Ricoh's first products should be hitting the shelves... at Photokina.
06-09-2014, 09:27 PM - 1 Like   #115
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
D800E is $3300.

I don't think I'd pay that for a Pentax full frame (a year ago I would've, gladly), but it's certainly a justified price in the marketplace.
And the regular D800 is just under 3k.

But, right, It isn't justified for Pentax. Nikon can charge that (and more) because they're Nikon.. they have a large userbase, a top tier name, and a robust series of FF bodies.

I wouldn't expect Pentax, whom likely will have just a single digital FF body on the market if they ever release one, to opt for the 3k tier. If someone gave ME (A pentax camera and lens owner) 3,000 dollars and told me to spend it on a FF body, I'd buy that D800 (or maybe the D610 and a lens). Pentax has appeal for squeezing out a little more than anyone else, the AW/WR system, and the generally smaller formfactor. However, they also have niche flaws too.. such as the flash system, the lack of a lot of options on the far tele side for FF, and, at least imo, the lack of a general, non-wifi tether ability and 3rd party support.

Pentax (well Ricoh) is in a delicate position if they ever launch a digi FF body since the market is already saturated and they are, now, little fish in big pond based on userbase. The old folks know who Pentax is.. the younger generations, however, likely have no clue what is a Pentax. Maybe it is some tax for using ink pens.

It is Canon, Nikon, and Sony they know,.. maybe even Olympus. But who is going to be foolish enough to release their first digi FF camera into the market priced (and potentially featured) roughly the same as your well established competitors? It would be ludicrous.

So they need more... it can't be a flop.. it has to be a hit as there is little room for failure. The pros aren't going to care about the price as much, since they'll write it off as a business expense... they'll be more concerned with the performance and lens assortment. The non-pros will want more bang for their dollar... esp coming from a different system.

So, I think, part of that success will be in pricing it a little lower than the biggest competition. The other part is just releasing a well designed camera.. and lens assortment. haha. But, I don't know why we continue discussing this.. I guess it is fun to sit and dream a little?
06-09-2014, 10:34 PM   #116
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FlickPhotos Quote
I voted yes. There are two reasons (three really) I think it will happen:

First; The mysterious "* tele zoom" 70-200 lens on the road map. On last years road map the projected * lens was clearly identified as a "DA* Zoom". This year, the DA is "conveniently" missing. This focal range is ideal off a FF and is, I believe, a hidden signal as to an imminent FF release.

Second, a 36 mp FF would fit perfectly in their top end body line up. 24mp APSC, "36 mp FF", 51mp medium format. MSRP Pricing could fall out as $1200, $3500, $8500. At $3500 (+/- $1000) a pentax FF would be very competitive against the CaNikon offerings.

And third, I have hope. Ricoh seams to be injecting life and vigor into the pentax name and line much more so than Hoya did.

Here's to hoping. ����
Oh, plus one more little reason we'll see them release a FF soon - because Ricoh said they would!

---------- Post added 06-09-14 at 10:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Hoya has done substantially more than Ricoh in the same length of its reign over the Pentax brand. It has launched
— several remarkable K-series cameras, culminating with groundbreaking K-5
— two new digital mounts (645 and Q),
— a dozen brand new lenses for the K-mount,
— helped developing all new coatings (that is Hoya's main business) now inside Pentax modern lenses.
— unique marketing ideas (multicoloured cameras)

So far Ricoh has only integrated Pentax in its corporation, changed company name, and offered small, incremental technological steps on top of giant leaps Hoya enabled and provided assets for.

Hoya was not a villain from the fairy tales of the Ricoh's fanboyism, and too many poor people around seem to believe that nonsense. Hoya had seriously helped Pentax come to limelight by helping issue a series of remarkable cameras and lenses, new systems and advancements almost all of which constitute today's Pentax lineup.
Hoya practically gutted the company - in particular, by letting many of the best engineers go. Much of what they released was already in development when they took over.

Ricoh now has to heal the situation the best they can. And I'm not particularly sticking up for them, either. I'm afraid they suffer from much of the large corporation "branding and bureaucracy" mentality you speak of - which can be very harmful to proper development, to say the least.

But much as it is with a new national president, there's perhaps a 2 1/2 year delay before you start to see the effects of the new leader. What we saw under Hoya was the legacy of the original Pentax. What we've seen under Ricoh so far is the legacy of Hoya. Whether Ricoh is good I can't say yet, but what you call the failure of Ricoh so far is actually us seeing the true Hoya in all of its horror!

Last edited by DSims; 06-09-2014 at 10:51 PM.
06-10-2014, 02:16 AM   #117
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh well, the annual cake rumour-baking contest seems in full swing by now.

A Pentax FF strikes me as a little dull. It's a largely defensive manoeuvre on one view, I'd suggest. Pentax need to retain their market among well-heeled enthusiasts, the kind who hitherto have preferred high-end APS-C and quality lenses. This provides a significant part of the company's revenue. If the view is that well-heeled enthusiasts are now looking towards FF for their photography needs, then there is little choice but to move Pentax towards FF. It's not about ground-breaking innovation and revolutionary blah blah but simply about staying in business. So I would expect an FF product which is appealing via an astute blend of features, build quality and pricing, and not because it has amazing new abilities no one else has.

The nut still to be cracked isn't about this at all, in my view. It's about providing a camera of very high quality which is small enough to be with you nearly all the time but whose capabilities are vastly superior to any smartphone's. That's very high quality in every single regard: not only in terms of sensor size and performance, but in all other regards too, particularly speed and accuracy of the AF system in all light conditions, no shutter lag. The nearest attempt to date is the Olympus M43 system. Interesting and memorable moments can only be captured if you have a camera with you. The size and bulk of FF and MF, not to mention their cost, means that they are only rarely with you and are more likely to be used for planned shoots. K-mount APS-C is better, but not by a huge amount. It is still pretty bulky.

Pentax already have the high-end covered with the 645 system, their real stand-out product. What they don't have is the other end, the high-quality but more compact system. It's also the end where a great deal of R&D is going to be concentrated over the next few years, at a guess - miniaturization, battery power, better AF, EVF performance and so forth.

So I'd say it's a toss up between a Pentax FF and a Ricoh mirrorless system with an eye to the future of the camera and photography. Either would require a lot more activity than we've seen so far, though. You can't produce a new system and expect it to succeed via only one or two new lenses a year and minimal marketing, for example.

Who knows? All this, in the end, could turn out as a lemon drizzle cake and no more. Or perhaps a Victoria sponge. Have a slice.

Last edited by mecrox; 06-10-2014 at 03:02 AM.
06-11-2014, 02:45 PM   #118

I agree with you all. The 645z is an amazing rig (just watched a few videos about it) at $8500, the Z will be excellent. As for the fabled FF DSLR, you are all right. It needs to be $2000-$2500 (or perhaps cheaper).
06-11-2014, 05:05 PM - 3 Likes   #119
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What do you think if Pentax will bring a step like the K-5,but in Fullframe?
A Camera body like K-3,Sensor 24MP Sony last edition and a HighIso wonder like the K-5?
We should not believe that Pentax will bring 36MP like Nikon,cause there is a wonderfull 645Z,so 24MP with an outstanding iso range and highest quality with a price around 2000$ should be the optimum.
Best Body in this range,like K-3 in aps-c range,best sensor iso like the old K-5 in his time,silent and fast.

Best regards
06-11-2014, 05:36 PM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
What do you think if Pentax will bring a step like the K-5,but in Fullframe?
A Camera body like K-3,Sensor 24MP Sony last edition and a HighIso wonder like the K-5?
We should not believe that Pentax will bring 36MP like Nikon,cause there is a wonderfull 645Z,so 24MP with an outstanding iso range and highest quality with a price around 2000$ should be the optimum.
Best Body in this range,like K-3 in aps-c range,best sensor iso like the old K-5 in his time,silent and fast.

Best regards
I hope that is what they do.... with a bigger prism/VF. I would like to see the AF and metering controls returned to the K-5 location.