Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you think FF will be announced at Photokina?
Yes 21632.58%
No 44767.42%
Voters: 663. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 125 Likes Search this Thread
02-16-2014, 06:16 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photokina 2014 - FF

So will this be the year?

02-16-2014, 06:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nope.
02-16-2014, 06:54 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It had better be this year

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-16-2014, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Yes.

Others may have inside information, which I don't have. But looking at it logically, they've had enough time to develop the camera. The only thing holding them back should be the lenses.

Pentax recently put a ~70-200 * lens on the roadmap. Tokina just showed a 24-70/2.8 they said they'll announce at Photokina: New Tokina AT-X PRO 24-70mm f/2.8 SD (IF) FX lens spotted at CP+ | Photo Rumors

So if Pentax has the 70-200, plus someone's 24-70 in the Pentax mount, they'll be ready to release the camera. They already have 3 FA Ltds, a few DFA lenses, and at least 3 FF ready DA lenses I can think of off of the top of my head (DA*55, DA*200, DA*300). The only thing missing is a wide angle lens or wide zoom, which may already be on the roadmap (in any case, all they need is something like Tokina's current 16-28/2.8 FX lens to fill this role). And if they're smart, they have a whole stable of quality FA glass they can pull from and bring a few of them back - whether in revised form or just as they were.

Last edited by DSims; 02-16-2014 at 07:08 PM.
02-16-2014, 07:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm 50/50, but I hope so, so I voted yes. They've held off for so long...meanwhile Sony has blasted it's way through FF mirrorless, and Sigma and Zeiss have redefined optics for the next/current generation.

I'm tempted to jump ship on the A7, or at least the next iteration of it. IMO, in addition to a FF, Pentax needs to release some top-tier FF limited lenses to combat the recent offerings especially that Zeiss 50/1.8 Sonnar...so tempting...

Last edited by jeffshaddix; 02-16-2014 at 07:16 PM.
02-16-2014, 07:17 PM - 8 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If they announce FF, then Pentax is doomed.

If they don't announce FF, then Pentax is doomed.

Short answer: Pentax is doomed.
02-16-2014, 07:20 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
If they announce FF, then Pentax is doomed.

If they don't announce FF, then Pentax is doomed.

Short answer: Pentax is doomed.
Spaces and caps incorrect. It's one word.

PentaxIsDoomed

02-16-2014, 07:43 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
I'm tempted to jump ship on the A7, or at least the next iteration of it. IMO, in addition to a FF, Pentax needs to release some top-tier FF limited lenses to combat the recent offerings especially that Zeiss 50/1.8 Sonnar...so tempting...
If you do, just make sure you try it first.

I'm not sold on Sony's bodies - not only on what they have now, but also any assurance of a stable path for the future.

If there's one thing Pentax has given us, it's a solid, secure, regular and worthwhile upgrade path in DSLR bodies. There are no loosers along the way. No Canon 60D downgrades. No Canon entry models (below the Ti series) that aren't even worthwhile. No entry level Nikons without screw-drive. No sorely needed but forever-missing Nikon D300s or Canon 7D replacements. No Sony with "8 indistinguishably but slightly different DSLR models" (or whatever the number actually was). Not even a Nikon D600 oil issue that was "glossed over" instead of properly addressed. With all of the pining for a FF body we can tend to forget this.

Last edited by DSims; 02-16-2014 at 08:01 PM.
02-16-2014, 08:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I think now that the 645D upgrade has been released, the path is clear for Ricoh to release a FF.

It's a low-risk scenario for Ricoh upfront - low engineering risk (they can re-use a lot of the tech from the K-3, and good, mature FF sensors are now available in various sizes) and low financial risk (they can ramp up any investments and effort over time, since their existing business is doing OK). And the current pool of FF compatible lenses from Pentax and 3rd parties is substantial enough to take the pressure off them a bit when launching a new FF body.

One medium term risk for Ricoh is that whilst the market is now flooded with 24MP APS-C bodies, APS-C seems to have hit something of a performance ceiling. Judging by the latest DxOMark scores, the shift from 16MP to 24 MP for Nikon/Sony/Pentax has delivered only modest and incremental IQ improvements, and by some measures things even went backwards at 24MP. So unless there are more sensor tech breakthroughs in APS-C (like the way Sony's Exmor sensor tech gave new vigour to APS-C a few years ago), FF looks like it may be the only format offering an IQ performance growth path for DSLR manufacturers, especially at the enthusiast/prosumer end of the market. Ricoh can't be without a pony in that race.

Last edited by rawr; 02-17-2014 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Tech glitch ate my original post
02-16-2014, 08:30 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
3 FF ready DA lenses I can think of off of the top of my head (DA*55, DA*200, DA*300).
Don't forget the DA 35mm f/2.4, DA 40mm f/2.8 XS, and the still available FA 35mm f/2.0 AL...

---------- Post added 02-17-14 at 11:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
I'm tempted to jump ship on the A7
Don't jump ship... It's better to keep both without investing too much.. All you need to do is buy the body and an adapter with aperture switch, and you can use both A7 and Pentax body side by side using the same lenses you have..
02-16-2014, 09:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The way I see it, the a7 is too much of a compromise. No af, if I choose a7 I get nice sensor but aa filter, the a7 has no aa filter but too many mega pixels. Clunky loud shutter, which may also intruce vibrations for some focal lengths and shutter speeds in the a7r. The viewfinder is nice, but laggy and hard to use in dim light. It's nice how is thin, but it's never going to be really compact (like an x100) in order to fit in say a briefcase (especially once you start putting adapters on it). You don't have full aperture control like you would w pentax lens on the body (though some people love that - I'm 50/50). Lastly, there are awesome rangefinder lens out there such as the leica glass, however I've always felt it was out of my price range and now w a affordable body the demand for such glass is only going to go up. It also doesn't have SR. I would wait another 5-6 months for the pentax ff. It's likely going to have the 24mp sensor and no aa filter. That alone is worth waiting for me.
My 2 cents
02-16-2014, 09:08 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suspect there may be an announcement of some sort at Photokina, but not a body for sale. If they live up to what they've been saying about it not being like others are producing, then the gap between announcement and delivery will be necessarily short, to prevent a company like Samsung, or maybe even Sony, jumping in with their interpretation (or, more likely, copy, in Samsung's case). Of course, that assumes it's likely to be successful.
02-16-2014, 09:13 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
If you do, just make sure you try it first.
Indeed - it's the concept and the Zeiss 50/1.8 that tempts me, but the lack of SR and OVF hurts the usability. Thanks for the advice.

QuoteOriginally posted by richard balonglong Quote
Don't jump ship... It's better to keep both without investing too much.. All you need to do is buy the body and an adapter with aperture switch, and you can use both A7 and Pentax body side by side using the same lenses you have..
True, and I definitely would keep some of my Pentax glass - 77/1.8 especially.

We've heard Pentax allude to the first FF being a DSLR. It'll be interesting to see how they intend for it to still be different - I'm hoping to see something more creative than K-3 like body design (though that's certainly enough for most).
02-16-2014, 11:26 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

If they are going to do it, the time is now.

I expect we should see an announcement or at least a teaser of its development etc.
02-17-2014, 12:35 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
I expect we should see an announcement or at least a teaser of its development etc.
Yup, if they'll bring out an FF Pentax, they should make some exciting, mind-boggling, sleepless-nights, hair-pulling teasers in videos and photos... Just like what Nikon did to their Df's Pure Photography video teasers... A lot went out crazy about the teaser of the Df, and it may have created something positive and/or negative reactions, but they got the whole world's attention...