Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you think FF will be announced at Photokina?
Yes 21632.58%
No 44767.42%
Voters: 663. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 125 Likes Search this Thread
06-14-2014, 07:45 PM   #181
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
I was referring to what many people (myself included) would be willing to pay, over and above the price of the K-3. Nikon's pricing was not the topic of discussion.

Why must you split every hair you come across?!!! I find it tedious, argumentative, and it adds nothing to an otherwise enjoyable discussion.
You forgot to mention my smell.

Hey, at least I didn't bring up Canon's $400 difference. There's such a pent-up demand for Pentax FF that they could charge whatever they want, but recently they've been price-competive or better for bodies. Nikon and Canon's price difference is quite relevant if recent history is a guide.

06-14-2014, 08:16 PM   #182
Banned

As I said...it was FYI...
06-15-2014, 01:02 AM   #183
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
I'm not sure if others mentioned it as well, but Asahi Man has been alluding to that (as well as 24MP) since October last year.
If you read all of his posts at once (click on the 'user posts' number), it actually makes for very interesting reading.
Asahiman was also alluding to the September 5th 2013 as a BIG announcement for Pentax. But that day a Theta toy was announced. As a response to that disappointment, we had reflective and quite accurate videos like this posted on the web:

I will not even mention PF's own 2012 April 1st bad FF joke posted on the web, which still has the aftereffects. As previously stated, Asahiman is most likely a good guy, but he should avoid doing any positively confirming predictions.

That is not funny at all. He is not in the know, and any PF member can speculate to the very similar similar level of accuracy of his 'predictions'. The bottom line is, Ricoh is utterly slow in delivering, for whatever reason, and they may change schedules as they please. I do hope walls of their new offices they moved this February are of pleasing colour combination, for we'll perhaps wait another few years until get that right in order to proceed with the next step forward.

Last edited by Uluru; 06-15-2014 at 01:12 AM.
06-15-2014, 01:15 AM   #184
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
It's rough. The D600 and the 6D eliminated the chance of being the first APS-C-ish cost FF. The Sony A7 eliminated the chance to be the first FF on which a Pentax lens could be mounted easily.

Now they're down to things like 'first FF that mounts K-mount natively with AF', etc. I hope they have other things up their sleeve but don't think they do. Low cost would be nice but isn't really expected. I'm not sure what else they could give us (a faster horse?).
Who cares about AF anyway, right? It's a worthless feature!

But actually, you make a good point that as time's moved on it's become increasingly difficult for them to deliver on their "promise" to bring something unique to the market when they finally release a FF.

06-15-2014, 05:23 AM   #185
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Asahiman was also alluding to the September 5th 2013 as a BIG announcement for Pentax. But that day a Theta toy was announced. As a response to that disappointment, we had reflective and quite accurate videos like this posted on the web:
September 5th Vlog - YouTube

I will not even mention PF's own 2012 April 1st bad FF joke posted on the web, which still has the aftereffects. As previously stated, Asahiman is most likely a good guy, but he should avoid doing any positively confirming predictions.

That is not funny at all. He is not in the know, and any PF member can speculate to the very similar similar level of accuracy of his 'predictions'. The bottom line is, Ricoh is utterly slow in delivering, for whatever reason, and they may change schedules as they please. I do hope walls of their new offices they moved this February are of pleasing colour combination, for we'll perhaps wait another few years until get that right in order to proceed with the next step forward.

I disagree and hope asahiman continues to post as he has. It appears he is in the know more than most of us and provides what he learns. If one is taking what anyone says in this forum without a bit of caution, they shouldn't be reading the threads in this forum.
06-15-2014, 07:24 AM   #186
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
But actually, you make a good point that as time's moved on it's become increasingly difficult for them to deliver on their "promise" to bring something unique to the market when they finally release a FF.
A full frame body with select-able hardware based AA filter would be unique.
Global shutter would be unique, or a really quiet shutter like the new A7s.
A Full Frame OVF with projected digital overlay (like a HUD) would be unique.
Eye auto-focus would be unique.
There are a lot of unique features that Pentax could add.

I don't think Pentax needs a unique product. What they need is a very refined product. They need to take the K-3 and continue to improve the AF. They need faster AF motors for lenses.
06-15-2014, 10:28 AM   #187
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Eye auto-focus would be unique.
Not likely : it exists since the Eos 5 in 1992

But yes ! it would be welcome in the Pentax land !

06-15-2014, 02:12 PM   #188
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Not likely : it exists since the Eos 5 in 1992

But yes ! it would be welcome in the Pentax land !
Canon ditched it because it was a practical disaster. Why would a Pentax camera adopt such a quibble of a "tech"?

---------- Post added 06-16-2014 at 07:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I disagree and hope asahiman continues to post as he has. It appears he is in the know more than most of us and provides what he learns. If one is taking what anyone says in this forum without a bit of caution, they shouldn't be reading the threads in this forum.
When you have a company with dysfunctional marketing, Asahiman's and similar assertions which prove not to be true only make Pentax brand ridiculous and a brand of disappointments. Like Ed stated in his video. Pentax carries that stigma of a failed to invigorate brand for a long, long time -- it had it in the age of film -- and fresh FF rumors like these only add to the disappointment about the brand.

If you Google Full Frame and Pentax right now, you'll get a handful of very juicy results, like PF's April 1st prank, many predictions and speculations. When a reader gets into reading Asahiman's predictions and sees the guy is loved by equally infatuated and deluded forums members, he puts more weight into those words that turn out to be a big disappointment.

Mind you, Asahiman was claiming in 2012 that Pentax has finally merged, that they got new people, teams work together, that they do this and that. He also claimed FF prototypes by using then K-5 as a shell. And then 2 years later we have the same story from him (now they are using the K-3) that they are still doing the same.

I have nothing against the man, but the results make the poor brand even more ridiculous.

Last edited by Uluru; 06-15-2014 at 05:11 PM.
06-15-2014, 02:53 PM   #189
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Mind you, Asahiman was claiming in 2012 that Pentax has finally merged, that they got new people, teams work together, that they do this and that. He also claimed FF prototypes my using then K-5 as a shell. And then 2 years later we have the same story from him that they are still doing the same.
We have the Pentax FF, canon had for almost 5 years the rumors of the "soon to be produced" 200-400 with 1.4x built-in, before the lens started to be produced and sold.

Uluru, you seem to not like any dream, teasing, or excitement of any kind ! You seem such a grey man ! is there anything that make you dream ?
06-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #190
Veteran Member

Mind you, Asahiman was claiming in 2012 that Pentax has finally merged, that they got new people, teams work together, that they do this and that. He also claimed FF prototypes my using then K-5 as a shell. And then 2 years later we have the same story from him that they are still doing the same.
"asahi man" joined in October 2013. Care to elaborate?

---------- Post added 06-15-14 at 03:00 PM ----------

Asahiman was also alluding to the September 5th 2013 as a BIG announcement for Pentax.
Again, care to elaborate? Perhaps there are two users? To whom are you referring?
06-15-2014, 03:45 PM   #191
Veteran Member

Perhaps there are two users? To whom are you referring?
I think he is confusing AsahiFlex with asahi man.
An apology is in order from him, I think. He's being pretty rude to our guest asahi man.
06-15-2014, 03:50 PM   #192
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"asahi man" joined in October 2013. Care to elaborate?

---------- Post added 06-15-14 at 03:00 PM ----------

Again, care to elaborate? Perhaps there are two users? To whom are you referring?
asahi man was on DPR before here...my memory tells me a good while before, but I could be wrong on that. Perhaps that is what Uluru means?

I too appreciate hearing from him...he knows more than anyone else who's talking, IMHO!
06-15-2014, 04:17 PM   #193
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eyeswideshut Quote
the viewfinder will be the key to differentiate Pentax ff from Sony, Nikon and Canon. We have seen advances in every single area of technology going from the old film slr's to the latest K3 - save one: the viewfinder. They were 'crippled' and optimized for autofocus with only moderatly bright zooms. A decent manual focus experience with the ground glass micro prism split focus screen is lacking in every single dslr currently manufactured! I find that amazing as I know literally no photographer over the age of forty who does not sometimes wish to take his camera out for a spin and use it they way they were used in the old days.
If this were true, my checkbook would be out in a heartbeat. I don't care if it's FF or APS. I don't even care if it has AF. Just give me a bright, optical viewfinder that lets me see clearly through the lens and has a microprism focusing aid - not some electronic approximation of reality.
06-15-2014, 04:53 PM   #194
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote

I too appreciate hearing from him...he knows more than anyone else who's talking, IMHO!
Me too. He does tend to tease with the tid-bits he throws out, but it's good to have a little positivity about the future, and I enjoy the gentle suggestions.
06-15-2014, 04:55 PM   #195
Veteran Member

Yup. It's great to have him around.