Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you think FF will be announced at Photokina?
Yes 21632.58%
No 44767.42%
Voters: 663. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 125 Likes Search this Thread
08-06-2014, 04:07 AM - 2 Likes   #421

Photos: Gallery
I finally decided I couldn't wait for the elusive Pentax FF any longer. The recent price drops for D800s helped make my decision easier, as did the recent re-releases of various Pentax models with nothing but the aesthetics changed. I care about capabilities...not what color my camera is...and I do not need to be committed to a company with such a high emphasis on these superficial priorities. So, I am now a Nikonian, running forward with my $2,000 D800 (USA model), and I am not looking back. Ciao!

08-06-2014, 04:35 AM - 2 Likes   #422
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by canoetripper Quote
I finally decided I couldn't wait for the elusive Pentax FF any longer. The recent price drops for D800s helped make my decision easier, as did the recent re-releases of various Pentax models with nothing but the aesthetics changed. I care about capabilities...not what color my camera is...and I do not need to be committed to a company with such a high emphasis on these superficial priorities. So, I am now a Nikonian, running forward with my $2,000 D800 (USA model), and I am not looking back. Ciao!
Good on you! Go out and use your new gear, and be happy with it. You don't need to explain anything to anyone, because it's your choice and your money, but please don't use ill-formed justifications such as Pentax having emphasis on superficial priorities like body colours, because it simply isn't true. It's true that they use colour as a marketing tool, and it's also true that major changes or new models come out more slowly than their larger competitors, but it's a huge leap to say that indicates the company's priorities. Still, you're off in a new direction, and not looking back, but an occasional glance around you wouldn't do any harm, either.
08-06-2014, 04:58 AM   #423
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think this is the year when a Pentax FF release makes sense since both k-3 and 645z are already done.
08-06-2014, 09:33 AM   #424

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I think this is the year when a Pentax FF release makes sense since both k-3 and 645z are already done.
I think any year before would have been a better choice for Pentax to go FF, but obviously only within the last 1-2 years the risk is lower due to massive lower sensor costs of this size.

08-06-2014, 10:45 AM   #425
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If Pentax continues to be really, really smart, they will NOT release a FF DSLR (24x36mm sensor) until it can be delivered at 50+mp, with a pricepoint of $1999 USD, with ALL K-3 level features, and co-release HD DFA* zooms in 12-24 F2.8, 28-70 F2.8, ~70-200 F2.8, 150-450 F4, and 250-600 F5.6. Then it's game on. Otherwise, keep pressing HD high quality D FA, DA, DA* glass filling in the tree and dump any non-WR DAs (where there is a WR). Clean out the redundant Short and Mid Zooms (17-40, 55-200, 55-300 nonWR, 18-135 non WR), etc. HD/ WR the 12-24 and the 14 F2.8. And a 150+mm F3.5-F4 is due. Dump the 50mm macro. Put the production savings in long zooms, an EVF Q, a higher res APSC (34-36mp) when the physics and materials tech is sound....

And no planning or R&D spending on a mirrorless FF until 3 weeks after pigs fly (unaided)... What a farce...

That should about cover it...

Last edited by GlassJunkie; 08-06-2014 at 10:54 AM.
08-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #426
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GlassJunkie Quote
If Pentax continues to be really, really smart, they will NOT release a FF DSLR (24x36mm sensor) until it can be delivered at 50+mp, with a pricepoint of $1999 USD, with ALL K-3 level features, and co-release HD DFA* zooms in 12-24 F2.8, 28-70 F2.8, ~70-200 F2.8, 150-450 F4, and 250-600 F5.6. Then it's game on. Otherwise, keep pressing HD high quality D FA, DA, DA* glass filling in the tree and dump any non-WR DAs (where there is a WR). Clean out the redundant Short and Mid Zooms (17-40, 55-200, 55-300 nonWR, 18-135 non WR), etc. HD/ WR the 12-24 and the 14 F2.8. And a 150+mm F3.5-F4 is due. Dump the 50mm macro. Put the production savings in long zooms, an EVF Q, a higher res APSC (34-36mp) when the physics and materials tech is sound....

And no planning or R&D spending on a mirrorless FF until 3 weeks after pigs fly (unaided)... What a farce...

That should about cover it...
I'd love a FF at any resolution.

Having everything at once is a solution but a lot of people (myself included) are boarding other ships while waiting for Pentax to design a boat. It'd be nice to see the keel laid down.
08-06-2014, 11:54 AM   #427
Pentaxian

Pentax has the best APS-C DSLR in the market today, and arguably the best Medium Format DSLR system as well. So I don't think your criticism that Pentax only worries about the surface is fair.

Still, if a full frame digital is what you need, Pentax doesn't have one, so you made the right decision. Best of luck to you and your professional career!

08-06-2014, 02:29 PM   #428
Pentaxian

I am sure you made the right choice. I went for the Sony A7r (that uses the same wonderful sensor) a month ago, still being able to use my FF manual focus K-mount lenses, and am glad that I did. I really hoped for a Pentax FF this Photokina, but hearing the (more credible) rumors on how they start dragging their feet again, and life goes on, and other brands like Sony and Nikon offering alternatives, there was just no reason to wait any longer.
I don't believe Ricoh/Pentax needs to release a FF camera, or has any obligation to: Pentax abandoned FF after the transition to digital, so people shooting Pentax presently will have gone for either Apsc or MF, and should really have gone the Nikon/Canon way if they now really want FF, even if that is because their needs/wishes have evolved.
The only false note on the Pentax side, is that they have held FF designed lenses in production for so long, while never having any serious intentions to release a FF body to match. People may say that that is because the lenses have kept on selling, and work well on Apsc, but i.m.o. Pentax should have phased out all FF designed lenses, and replaced them with Apsc versions, so people don't somehow buy into Pentax for Apsc, and then slowly start adding e.g. the very expensive Fa ltd 31/43/77 lenses, believing that that is a good investment with a FF body in the future. It's opportunistic on Pentax' side to keep producing/selling lenses designed for a body that they have no intention of releasing. Olympus has gone to the extreme here, selling very expensive 4/3 SHG lenses when they had already terminated 4/3.
So it would be a good move on Pentax side to clear up their catalogue and stop releasing "cross-system" products that help creating misconceptions amongst Pentax users.

If Pentax releases a FF camera, fine, but if not, discontinue and replace FF designed lenses.

Chris
08-06-2014, 05:00 PM   #429

All - Point well made regarding my "superficial" accusation. I guess my grief got the best of me. I love my Pentax K-5...it's bulletproof and captures great images. I bought it with the idea that I would have a FF option in a few years (based on the rumors that were bouncing around even then), but that has failed to materialize. I would have loved to remain a Pentaxian. (I still think all the color options are stupid, though!)

Peace out!
08-06-2014, 08:48 PM   #430
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by infoomatic Quote
I think any year before would have been a better choice for Pentax to go FF, but obviously only within the last 1-2 years the risk is lower due to massive lower sensor costs of this size.
Well, I guess you are partially correct, the lower sensor cost is one of the reasons for Pentax not ready for FF but the most important thing is to get everything else (focusing, SR etc.) in line so that it does not become a broken FF camera in comparison to its competitors. It is not just another me-too FF camera, it has to be highly competitive; so I disagree with you that any year before they would have released a FF just because Canikony have.

Last edited by aleonx3; 08-06-2014 at 08:58 PM.
08-06-2014, 11:04 PM   #431
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
..Pentax should have phased out all FF designed lenses, and replaced them with Apsc versions, so people don't somehow buy into Pentax for Apsc, and then slowly start adding e.g. the very expensive Fa ltd 31/43/77 lenses, believing that that is a good investment with a FF body in the future. It's opportunistic on Pentax' side to keep producing/selling lenses designed for a body that they have no intention of releasing. Olympus has gone to the extreme here, selling very expensive 4/3 SHG lenses when they had already terminated 4/3.
So it would be a good move on Pentax side to clear up their catalogue and stop releasing "cross-system" products that help creating misconceptions amongst Pentax users.

If Pentax releases a FF camera, fine, but if not, discontinue and replace FF designed lenses.

Chris
I think they were toying around with FA lenses because they did not have a clear idea which way to go. I believe Pentax did have a plan to have an FF rather sooner than later, but Hoya's refusal, and with Ricoh steering them who-knows-where, it seems these dreams are definitely over.
And most likely they will keep some of those lenses and communicate nothing. Same as always.

Worst part is that they did not fortify even their APS-C lineup, not even under Ricoh. Fujifilm is becoming a true APS-C brand because they did invest heavily.
08-07-2014, 02:06 AM   #432

9min 53 sec
Zack is talking about that topic! (and all FFvsAPSC topics)
))))
08-07-2014, 02:20 AM   #433
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
I am sure you made the right choice. I went for the Sony A7r (that uses the same wonderful sensor) a month ago, still being able to use my FF manual focus K-mount lenses, and am glad that I did. I really hoped for a Pentax FF this Photokina, but hearing the (more credible) rumors on how they start dragging their feet again, and life goes on, and other brands like Sony and Nikon offering alternatives, there was just no reason to wait any longer.
I don't believe Ricoh/Pentax needs to release a FF camera, or has any obligation to: Pentax abandoned FF after the transition to digital, so people shooting Pentax presently will have gone for either Apsc or MF, and should really have gone the Nikon/Canon way if they now really want FF, even if that is because their needs/wishes have evolved.
The only false note on the Pentax side, is that they have held FF designed lenses in production for so long, while never having any serious intentions to release a FF body to match. People may say that that is because the lenses have kept on selling, and work well on Apsc, but i.m.o. Pentax should have phased out all FF designed lenses, and replaced them with Apsc versions, so people don't somehow buy into Pentax for Apsc, and then slowly start adding e.g. the very expensive Fa ltd 31/43/77 lenses, believing that that is a good investment with a FF body in the future. It's opportunistic on Pentax' side to keep producing/selling lenses designed for a body that they have no intention of releasing. Olympus has gone to the extreme here, selling very expensive 4/3 SHG lenses when they had already terminated 4/3.

Chris
Funny! Stop making your best lenses because they work even better on on an imaginary camera!
I call that Pixiecide!
08-07-2014, 06:00 AM   #434
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Funny! Stop making your best lenses because they work even better on on an imaginary camera!
I call that Pixiecide!
Discontinue and replace is the key to get optimum performance and economics/weight for Apsc, if that is where Pentax will remain (and they have ever since the transition to digital) E.g. discontinue the FA ltd's and replace them with Apsc designed HD DC WR lenses, eg. 24 or 28 and 35 mm high quality fast primes for the Apsc image circle, much like the Sigma ART lens concept for Apsc.
Why retain FF lenses long after adopting a much smaller image circle?

Chris
08-07-2014, 07:00 AM   #435
Pentaxian

These threads have a tendency to go towards a "Ricoh should only make what I like and discontinue everything I don't like" direction. I've seen it in other threads. It's common for the camera colors, the full frame lenses (which some of us still use on film, by the way), the video capabilities, the onboard processing - everything someone doesn't use, they want everybody else to be deprived of.

I hope the people making those type of arguments realize they're not very helpful.