Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you think FF will be announced at Photokina?
Yes 21632.58%
No 44767.42%
Voters: 663. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 125 Likes Search this Thread
09-10-2014, 01:26 PM   #676
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by easyreeder Quote
Yes, I agree, sad but true, but that doesn't make the 7D a better choice comparatively. And, hmm, incidentally, newer offerings at APS-C (in addition to the 7Dii) are about to outspec the k3.
The strength of Canon is in its impeccable lens system. It is well maintained, always updated. Their service system 1st class.
Therefore even technologically slightly inferior 7D does not change the fact that 7D is overall a better choice for any discerning photographer.

09-10-2014, 01:41 PM   #677

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Therefore even technologically slightly inferior 7D does not change the fact that 7D is overall a better choice for any discerning photographer.
Ha, well, that's not much of a therefore, it's just your subjective declaration, which is utterly apparent to any discerning photographer.
09-10-2014, 01:44 PM   #678
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Bodies like XE2 look a little funny with those large lenses attached, but many people produce fantastic work with that combo and are more than satisfied. .
One thing I don;t get about that - how are folks holding these combos when they shoot, by gripping the body only?

Even with regular DSLR I'm usually holding the lens (at least any lens bigger than a limited or fast-50 size) and bearing the weight at the center of gravity for the combo, which usually means holding the lens with my left and using my right hand to sort of 'steer'/point the combo at what I want to shoot.

In that situation it doesn't matter what the relative size of the body is to the lens... it should always balance well if you're holding under the center of gravity.
09-10-2014, 01:44 PM - 4 Likes   #679
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So basically we all agree Pentax suxxx, we're all losers for using it, we really wish we had something else but we're stuck with all these damned K-mount lenses that we just can't get rid of.

Do I understand?

OK.

So can the twelve trolls who don't own any Pentax products any more please go away and stop reminding me how good much better Canon/Nikon/Sony/Fuji/Olympus/Panasonic/Nokia/Samsung/Sigma/Tokina/Leica is? I mean, really, go take some pictures with your great cameras and lenses or something.

09-10-2014, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #680
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wish I had a dollar for....

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
The strength of Canon is in its impeccable lens system. It is well maintained, always updated. Their service system 1st class.
.. Every Canon Photographer that told me they wanted higher quality lighter lenses and bodies like Pentax.... I'd be closer to a 560F5.6 A lot closer
09-10-2014, 01:55 PM   #681
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by GlassJunkie Quote
.. Every Canon Photographer that told me they wanted higher quality lighter lenses and bodies like Pentax.... I'd be closer to a 560F5.6 A lot closer
This is true and that's why Pentax should make an APS-H camera inside the K-3 body to give those CaNikon boys one good reason to look into the K-mount.
09-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #682
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Elegantly Put....

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
So basically we all agree Pentax suxxx, we're all losers for using it, we really wish we had something else but we're stuck with all these damned K-mount lenses that we just can't get rid of.

Do I understand?

OK.

So can the twelve trolls who don't own any Pentax products any more please go away and stop reminding me how good much better Canon/Nikon/Sony/Fuji/Olympus/Panasonic/Nokia/Samsung/Sigma/Tokina/Leica is? I mean, really, go take some pictures with your great cameras and lenses or something.
Nothing to add here....

09-10-2014, 02:12 PM   #683

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
One thing I don;t get about that - how are folks holding these combos when they shoot, by gripping the body only?

Even with regular DSLR I'm usually holding the lens (at least any lens bigger than a limited or fast-50 size) and bearing the weight at the center of gravity for the combo, which usually means holding the lens with my left and using my right hand to sort of 'steer'/point the combo at what I want to shoot.

In that situation it doesn't matter what the relative size of the body is to the lens... it should always balance well if you're holding under the center of gravity.
Sometimes I do hold a flash with a softbox attached on my left hand while one-handing my camera with my right - usually during macro shots when I don't have the time to set up a tripod.
I can just barely steady a gripped K5 with a FA100 attached.

But I mean... when shooting, what else do you do with your left hand if it's free ?
09-10-2014, 02:20 PM   #684
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nagimaru Quote
But I mean... when shooting, what else do you do with your left hand if it's free ?
I'm such a dinosaur I cradle the base of the camera in my left hand to make a stable platform.

Always.

Even Portrait.
09-10-2014, 02:38 PM   #685

I'm such a dinosaur I cradle the base of the camera in my left hand to make a stable platform.

Always.

Even Portrait.
Dude, If that makes you a dinosaur, that makes two of us.

I feel like my life would spiral out of control if the base of the camera isn't in firm contact with the fleshy part of my palm while taking the shot.
09-10-2014, 02:42 PM   #686
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I feel like my life would spiral out of control if the base of the camera isn't in firm contact with the fleshy part of my palm while taking the shot.
um, this is rather graphic hahaha

I'm a cradler too...
09-10-2014, 03:07 PM   #687
Pentaxian

I don't understand all this fuss over ideal camera and lens size. I like my K-5. It's a good combination of image quality, dynamic range, features, and compactness with a pancake lens. When I use the Sigma 50-500 the camera looks "too small", but I just shift grip to hold the lens more than the camera. Something similar applies to that new Fuji lens on a different scale; the new Fuji lens just requires a different grip than a more compact Fuji lens.

---------- Post added 09-10-14 at 06:12 PM ----------

Always.

Even Portrait.
My left hand tries to hold the lens not the camera provided the lens is big enough, right hand on the camera. Left hand moves to the camera for small lenses. Heck, I prefer to use 2 hands even with my S95 and cellphone pics.

Doesn't quite make me a dinosaur. Dinos didn't have opposable thumbs.
09-10-2014, 03:29 PM   #688
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your a better steadier "Eddie" than me....

Sometimes I do hold a flash with a softbox attached on my left hand while one-handing my camera with my right - usually during macro shots when I don't have the time to set up a tripod.
I can just barely steady a gripped K5 with a FA100 attached.

I've tried it all, backstops, leaning, no breathing, slow breathing, play the wobble (like handgun shooting) monopods (with or w/o spikes), sand bags, you name it. If I sit, get 3 legs, bring a glass of wine, and throw away my watch (oh yes cable releases or FLU), I'll do just fine.
09-10-2014, 03:39 PM   #689
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by easyreeder Quote
The K3 is a newer camera than the 7D, and to my mind outspecs it and outperforms it. I shoot with a friend who has a 7D. But the K3 is a much newer camera, and the better comparison will be to the 7Dii, which is about to come out. I don't think the 7Dii has a price yet. I'll bet you a hundred bucks it's higher than the current price of the K3.
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
The XPRO and X-T1 aren't small bodies and the larger f1.4/f1.2 and telezoom lenses balance very nicely on those bodies. Bodies like XE2 look a little funny with those large lenses attached, but many people produce fantastic work with that combo and are more than satisfied.
Some people like faster lenses and are willing to put up with the small inconvenience of adding a few grams to their kit.
I probably don't talk enough about the K3. Its awesome. I shot with another person using a Nikon D800 at a play dress rehearsal a few weeks back and was the guy picking out the best of pics between her camera and mine for decorating the lobby. The K3 kept up admirably except for some dark scenes. I don't think it needs replacement any time soon, its very very excellent. And considering the weight and size savings - i wouldn't want anything more.

Now regards Fuji. I don't have one but have used a friends x-e-1. Nice thing about it, its even quieter shooting than the K3 which is an accomplishment because the K3 is one of quietest DSLRs out there. I don't see any disconnect for those folks wanting to use a larger lens on a smaller camera. Like the Swiss Army Knife cliche, there's no reason why a camera can't be used with a variety of lens sizes. On the small sizes its pocketable, on the larger sizes, one needs their left hand to support the lens - no big deal compared to the versatility that provides.

BTW, this isn't a religion we are talking about, its a tool, thats all.
09-10-2014, 03:56 PM   #690
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
BTW, this isn't a religion we are talking about, its a tool, thats all.
Blasphemy!