Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you think FF will be announced at Photokina?
Yes 21632.58%
No 44767.42%
Voters: 663. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2014, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #691

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GlassJunkie Quote
.. Every Canon Photographer that told me they wanted higher quality lighter lenses and bodies like Pentax.... I'd be closer to a 560F5.6 A lot closer
Actually, I didn't want to post this because I thought it'd be trollish, but I shoot with a friend who has a 7D, so we get to compare it to the K3 all the time, and the end result is that the Pentax M lens I gave him is now his go-to on that camera.

09-10-2014, 05:22 PM   #692
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
So basically we all agree Pentax suxxx, we're all losers for using it, we really wish we had something else but we're stuck with all these damned K-mount lenses that we just can't get rid of.
Do I understand?
OK..
Not at all.
There is a wide stretch of reality between the ideal of Canon's seriousness and care about its system, and the wanton negligence of Contax about its own. And is now gone. But Pentax is not.

But where is Pentax in that wide stretch? Somewhere past the middle of that road, towards the Canon's end, surely. But it seems it stopped alongside in some Inn, does some basking around, and it likes it there.

Last edited by Uluru; 09-10-2014 at 06:23 PM.
09-10-2014, 05:53 PM   #693
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Not surprising ... I do not think that they would confirm anything before they decided to leak/announce it themselves to the appropriate press/buzz rumor mills.

Wish that you had received a "positive" response ... we'll see soon enough.
I agree. A more "affirmative" response would have been good. Oh, brand loyalty is a terrible thing....
09-10-2014, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #694
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So basically we all agree Pentax suxxx, we're all losers for using it, we really wish we had something else but we're stuck with all these damned K-mount lenses that we just can't get rid of.

Do I understand?

OK.

So can the twelve trolls who don't own any Pentax products any more please go away and stop reminding me how good much better Canon/Nikon/Sony/Fuji/Olympus/Panasonic/Nokia/Samsung/Sigma/Tokina/Leica is? I mean, really, go take some pictures with your great cameras and lenses or something.
Now you get it!

"I've jumped ship and all you guys are suckers"

But wait......
There are lots of loud trolls out there in unfamiliar Canikony land where my little soap box is not tall enough for me to be heard.
No friends to pat me on the back for my photos.

I've always believed that PF moderation should be stronger in this area.
What good is all this trolling/subtle+blatant other gear promotion doing here other than upping the number of argumentative posts?

09-11-2014, 01:42 AM   #695
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Now you get it!

"I've jumped ship and all you guys are suckers"

But wait......
There are lots of loud trolls out there in unfamiliar Canikony land where my little soap box is not tall enough for me to be heard.
No friends to pat me on the back for my photos.

I've always believed that PF moderation should be stronger in this area.
What good is all this trolling/subtle+blatant other gear promotion doing here other than upping the number of argumentative posts?
A tricky question indeed. However, worth bearing in mind that many folks own and shoot multiple systems these days. The idea that everyone owns just the one is a little outdated now. Besides, the other side of the coin is strident and dim-witted fanboys driving out anyone who doesn't agree with them. Fuji-based forums are likely the worst for this I've come across - a good reason for not buying Fuji in my view - but every brand has them unfortunately. The Pentax UK forums mod used to delete or alter any post which even mentioned another brand. It was and perhaps is a truly awful board. I don't think there's an easy answer, though perhaps a tolerant answer would be that from time to time the mods don't get it quite right. The price of free speech is accepting that sometimes you will be offended, although taking offence is a choice.
09-11-2014, 07:28 AM   #696
Veteran Member

No

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
So will this be the year?
I think with cautious certainty that there will be no FF this year.

Asahi man has stated at DPR Pentax forum about this being a no go for 2014.

Even though R/P might be considering FF for 2015, the green light for production or no, has to weigh on numerous factors.
I'm guessing Pentax has had FF mockups in the wings for quite some while througout the digital years. It always hinges on whether they can determine if starting production is a wise move from their multifactorial and bottom line corporate viewpoint. What we think as Pentax shooters won't make an iota of difference. I hope they do come up with FF just to quiet you guys up for a micro-millisecond. Whatever they do come up with, will be met with derision, scorn, and more of the same of endless bellyaching and bitching. Next topic.
09-11-2014, 08:11 AM   #697
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
The price of free speech is accepting that sometimes you will be offended, although taking offence is a choice.
Word.

09-11-2014, 08:34 AM   #698
Pentaxian

Considering the rumour about new Sony sensor, maybe RP decided to wait for it? Coming out with FF 70-200 doesn't make sense unless they plan to come out with FF camera soon.
09-11-2014, 08:41 AM   #699
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
The price of free speech is accepting that sometimes you will be offended, although taking offence is a choice.
I don't object to being offended. I'm quite certain I offend many more members than who offend me - and am likewise Ignored by . . .

I merely offer an observation to the very few people here who seem to say nothing other than 'x is better' on every thread - why are you really here?
09-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #700
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I may be able to help...

I don't object to being offended. I'm quite certain I offend many more members than who offend me - and am likewise Ignored by . . .

I merely offer an observation to the very few people here who seem to say nothing other than 'x is better' on every thread - why are you really here?
Likely to highlight their likelihood of residing under bridges, a hint of their lack of attention to detail, or in order to provoke a response from someone smarter than them and try to wriggle out snippets to learn from....

AND...

They have buyer's remorse for buying Brand X because they lost their patience with BigP on a given item and the acquisition is crappppe'
09-11-2014, 10:54 AM   #701
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
I think with cautious certainty that there will be no FF this year.

Asahi man has stated at DPR Pentax forum about this being a no go for 2014.

Even though R/P might be considering FF for 2015, the green light for production or no, has to weigh on numerous factors.
I'm guessing Pentax has had FF mockups in the wings for quite some while througout the digital years.:
Well said. This isn't up to the designers or engineers - its more of an accountants/management decision. Designing it is one of the cheaper things they can do. But when you go into production, it means buying a boatload of parts and sensors, sequencing it with what else is going on in the assembly lines, perhaps subcontracting out specialized parts they don't do in-house, etc. Of course the costs jump up at that point in anticipation of return revenue. I'm more thankful for Pentax producing a few quality products like the K3 and the 645z than if they were to produce a multitude of mediocre products.
09-11-2014, 11:52 AM   #702

QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
What we think as Pentax shooters won't make an iota of difference.
Well, that's a suicidal indifference. I'm tired of hearing that we don't matter. If the rationale for no ff is that Pentax can't compete at a reasonable price point, or that they can make an APSC camera that offers something comparable or even better, I'll entertain the argument. But this whole love it or leave it thing is unwise and irritating. People are plenty resourceful, and they don't need to be antagonized. Furthermore, with a shrinking market, having people leave your company—people who are going to be what remains of the market for as long as there is a market—is obviously not a good survival strategy. I forget what the statistic is ... Oh, hmm, found it.

To quote: "The probability of selling to an existing customer is 60 – 70%. The probability of selling to a new prospect is 5-20%" – Marketing Metrics.
09-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #703
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by easyreeder Quote
To quote: "The probability of selling to an existing customer is 60 – 70%. The probability of selling to a new prospect is 5-20%" – Marketing Metrics.
With consumables this is true, but cameras and lenses are not really consumables. Olympus was the first to launch the 2 zoom package deal because market research indicated that a very large number of entry level and kit buyers would never buy another lens after the initial purchase, so they created a kit with 2 zooms. These people are existing users, but since they will never buy another camera/lens they are not existing customers. Most customers will not buy a new camera every product cycle, and lenses have a very long cycle. Lenses are where the money is at for a company to survive, so the people who are sitting on a shelf full of existing K-mount glass don't represent a lot of potential dollars.

Ricoh needs to attract new users in a bad way.
09-11-2014, 02:36 PM   #704
Site Supporter

If they bundle a plastic mount non-wr 18-135 rather than a me too 18-55 with some of their entry level stuff I think that may attract customers. No one else that I know of does that. Heck, they could also do a 16-70 f/4 and go "look what we did."
09-11-2014, 02:45 PM   #705
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Ricoh needs to attract new users in a bad way.

For that I do have a great and original plan, and will discus it with Ricoh Imaging at Photokina.